PDA

View Full Version : Strange Light flashing

waterbear
05-08-2006, 08:57 PM
Hey guys. I just found this forum last night. maybe you can help me?

I'm making an animation in Lightwave 8.5. I have a dog that runs down a run way ( it's a long jump run way). He's lit with three lights (main, filler and back), that don't move through the whole animation. The only keyframe for them is on frame 0.

The camera follows the dog down the run way while a box ( the background) with a UV mapped texture follows/rotates in order to make it look like he's an outdoor track . At certain times, the lights seem to 'flash", for a frame or so. The animation will get brighter, and then go back to normal. It's killing my piece.

Ideas?

Thanks!
~Sarah.

liquidpope
05-08-2006, 09:59 PM
I bet it's not a flashing light, but the specular on the box when it rotates.
That's a total guess with minimal information. Could you post some screen grabs or stills?
If it's the box, turn the specular to 0%, as well as any reflectivity.
I can't think of any good reason a light would randomly "flash".

Good luck, and keep posting either way.

waterbear
05-09-2006, 10:52 AM
The following are attached screen shots of the problem:

The sky and ground have specularity, luminosity, reflective,....all that good stuff set to 0% in modeler. It's always been that way too, which makes me sad...that would have been an easy fix. As you can see the problem is most appearent in the lightening of the grass color.

On the set up file, a, b, and c are my lights.
They're all distant lights. I have tried every other type of light and the "flashing" effect still happens and it gets blown out too. The "flashing" occurrs even when i clear all the lights and make it just global luminosity.

D is the camera and the arrow shows the path it runs.

Help please!
Thanks!
Sarah

Gary Heck
05-09-2006, 12:45 PM
The following are attached screen shots of the problem:

The sky and ground have specularity, luminosity, reflective,....all that good stuff set to 0% in modeler. It's always been that way too, which makes me sad...that would have been an easy fix. As you can see the problem is most appearent in the lightening of the grass color.

elp please!
Thanks!
Sarah

Are there any envelopes open in your surface panel for the ground?

waterbear
05-09-2006, 01:20 PM
I don't believe so. Here's a screen shot of what I have. All 4 catergories listed have the same settings.

Sarford
05-09-2006, 03:04 PM
Any reason why you have the smoothing angle of your track so high?
When you render, dit you put render options on realistic?

After measuring both your pictures it looks that only the grass is afected.
I measured the runway top, the runway side, the jumping plate, the lower right leg of the dog, his back and the white band of his left shoe. All are (more or less) the same value.

Seeing from what information is available now I would guess its your smoothing angle wich is causing the problem. Better set it at default (89,9 degrees). if you want your track to be more smooth just ad some geometry.

liquidpope
05-09-2006, 04:09 PM
Looking at that last screen capture...
It's light on one side and dark on the other. Is that object rotating?
If so, does the dark side stay dark? Why is it like that?
Is this all opengl, or are we seeing this in renders?
Still I say it's not lights, but bugger me if I know what it is.

I'd say Sarford is on to something with the smoothing angle theory. I'd go as low as 44.
Also, try setting diffuse at 0, and turn up luminosity 'til it looks about right. That may help.
Probably doesn't need to be double sided either, but I don't know if that would matter. Probably not.
Could you post a wire of the grass part? Maybe it's some kind of weird geometric anomaly.

liquidpope
05-10-2006, 02:02 PM
I'm really digging that background. Did you paint that?