PDA

View Full Version : graphics card for dual 1.8 G5 ??

old fashioned d
05-08-2006, 03:35 PM
Hi all

I have a G5 dual 1.8 machine that currently has the nvidia gforce 5200 (64 meg card) and want to upgrade it. I'm really not too concerned about its use with LW as much as I am Photoshop but I know this is the place to ask.

Apple doesnt have anything ( I called) because my machine uses the AGP port and doesnt have a PCI express port so...

TIA!

Zibi
05-08-2006, 05:05 PM
I just went through a lot of trouble trying to find a graphics card which would fit my dual 2Ghz machine (with the same graphics card as yours). Apple used to provide an option for an ATI 9800 special card for these machines (seems that that AGP port is 8x not 4x as in previous macs). but these cards are no longer being sold by apple and ATI dont't do a version that fits the mac 8x port -I got sent two 4x cards by different suppliers before I learnt that one.

It seems the only card that might fit would be this one

http://www.jigsaw24.com/proddesc.asp?ITEM=M797AHA

but its quite pricey. I gave up trying and am now considering selling the machine and just upgrading to a quad, which comes with a better graphics card anyway.

avkills
05-09-2006, 01:16 PM
You can get the ATI X800 XT after market card, but I would warn you that the heat sink design is very bad. I just had to replace the OEM heatsink with a Zaldman unit on my X800.

The X800 is the best you can get for the older PCI-X + AGP8x Pro cards unless you can find a nVidia Ultra6800 on ebay or something.

-mark