PDA

View Full Version : Crop circles

cohominous
05-08-2006, 01:29 PM
Ive been trying to make crop circles with Saslite. I divided a circular strip into 30 sections or roughly twelve degrees a section and made each section a different material. My inexperience with Saslite led me to believe I could just go in and say "comb section one 12 degrees, section two 24 degrees, section three 36 degrees" (you get the idea). Well to my suprise, Saslite asks for x,y and z amounts. I thought to myself, "self, any ideas now?"

There was no reply.

As I understand it, the degree field is asking how much to lay the grass down in a particular axis rather than the specific direction you are looking for. But I'm new at this. Does anyone know of a clever way (or easy formula) to figure out the amount of x and y degrees I should put into thirty different sections? Or is there an easier way of doing what I'm looking for?

Thanks

Max Wolf
05-08-2006, 02:13 PM
why not use the saslite tut for long hair.
i am not at my computer that has the light wave on it but when i get home after work i post what i mean.

SplineGod
05-09-2006, 10:11 PM
I agree with Max.
I would use hair guides and a morph. Heres an example of how I might go about it. http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/examples/crop_circle.mov

cohominous
05-10-2006, 12:09 PM
I'm pretty new at this. I have a couple questions...

After reading a guide chain tutorial and looking at SplineGod's new hair tutorial I'm wondering the best way to populate the shape I imported from Illustrator with enough points to make guide chains for grass. Also, I've never used morphs before. I googled "guide chain" and "morph" with "tutorial" but the results didn't seem to help my situation (and a search for morph in the manual pulled up 291 entries). From what I gather, you click the new morph dropdown in order to make a new morph for laying down the grass - but what makes it spiral?

Can anyone help me through this or does anyone know of a good morph tutorial that relates to my needs?

SplineGod
05-10-2006, 02:05 PM
The example I posted is one object and one endomorph (the spiral).
I used a simple texture map to control the morph.
My example is done using techniques covered in my displacement and endomorphs CDs. The CDs cover just about everywhere in LW you can do displacements including modeler. I also cover techniques for using endomorphs that Ive never seen covered elsewhere. If youre new to LW this
covers the topic very thoroughly. Theres also examples of the projects.
You can check them out here:
http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/displacements.htm
http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/displacements2.htm

cohominous
05-11-2006, 06:24 AM
I'll have to look into buying those at some point. Anyone know of any good free tutorials that pertain to my project until then?

SplineGod
05-11-2006, 01:28 PM
Drop me a line. :)

SplineGod
05-11-2006, 05:41 PM
In a nut shell, the spiral pattern in the grass I created as an endomorph using the vortex tool.
I then used a texture map and the normal displacement plugin to effect the morph using the texture. :)

aurora
05-11-2006, 06:42 PM
Larry we are going to have to change your name to MorphDisplacementGod pretty dang quick here :D

SplineGod
05-11-2006, 08:05 PM
LOL! Theres just too many cool things that can be done with that :)