PDA

View Full Version : Hi all, would someone help me out?! render job.

-EsHrA-
05-08-2006, 12:57 PM
hi wavers,

im in a definate tight spot right now and it seems i cannot finish my anim in time.
i have to finish a 2200 (allready have 500 done) frame animation by wednesday or i am somewhat screwed.
currently i have a small farm running of 12 comps at my job but i have the suspision it might have crassed. if this has happened (check first thing in the morning) im not able to finish it.

so.... i am kindly asking here for help or some render power as soon as possible ... (kinda like now) ... i know this is something big to ask but im
willing to pay something if it gets finished quickly.

a 100 proc farm will probably spit it out in a few hours.. but then i dont have one lying around :)

on my athlonxp2000+ at home where i am now, a frame clocks in at about ~15 mins, 640480, including rad. etc.

ok,

well, thanks !

here's to hoping ! :)

mlon

btw. its now monday, 21:00, 8 of may ... hehe..

Wonderpup
05-08-2006, 01:43 PM
Hi -EsHrA-

Bog posted this a little while ago- I don't think he'll mind me reposting it here in a good cause- hope it helps.

So my current client's sprung for a 1-month Unlimited Licence at www.respower.com.

I bashed 750 frames of Pal D1 with a couple million blades of Sasquatch grass up this morning.

Ten hour wait for my Cheap Seats Low Priority Infinite Use position in the queue to reach the head of the line..........

............BLATT

.... oh my gawd.... I've never had over 350 CPUs rendering my stuff before. I peaked well over 360.

Aha.

Ahahahahaa.

82 hours of rendering done in 11 hours. 10 of which was waiting to reach the head of the queue.

Oh moley. And I have a *WHOLE MONTH OF THIS for TWO LOUSY US LARGE?????*

Sorry... I'm giddy... this is incredible... I feel like I've been loaned the keys to the company's AH64 Apache.... hahhahahaahaaaaaa the SPEEED!!!!

GLEE!!!!!

nerdyguy227
05-10-2006, 07:27 PM
Thats a funny post, bog

I cant help but why not use respower???

wavk
05-11-2006, 11:16 AM
well, i got it finished....phew... :) thanks for the huge response... hehe .. :)

i managed to keep my small farm running and completed it just in time...
respower is something i looked into and also calculated estimated rendertime and cost and found it actually pretty expensive...
45 mins of rendering about $400.

also.. a 4 day (special offer?) for 1000 dollars and a full month for 2000 seems a bitt ackward to me, doesnt it?

anyway, im happy now and can sleep again.

mlon

-EsHrA-
05-11-2006, 11:18 AM
oh ehm, thats me the post above :)

mlon

krimpr
05-11-2006, 11:43 AM
I've got a twin dualcore opteron setup at home sleeping with nothing to do except hold up an empty ashtray. (I'm trying to quit.) If you want to post a zip with your content and the render settings you're using I'd be happy to chew on some frames for you. I don't have a website however so I don't know how I'd get back the frames to you. You pay for the Fed Ex and I'll burn it to a DVD for you, who's that? I don't want to be paid for the use of the comp, however. It has 7.5, 8.5, and , well, you know... Also a full compliment of Worley minus the G2. I'm in Canada for figuring on the DVD thing.

cresshead
05-11-2006, 12:21 PM
glad you got it done on time...i'd offered to take some load but only have a few old pc's kicking about and a mac mini...
still next time..give us a shout if you need a few extra boxes burning the night away

mac mini 1.4 g4
acer 1.6 amd turion
dell pIII 700mhz
sony cel 600mhz
sgi 230 pIII 733mhz
silicon graphics 320 dual pII 450mhz

krimpr
05-11-2006, 01:50 PM
oh ehm, thats me the post above :)

mlon

Oops; it didn't connect that both of you were one guy. Like Cresshead says, glad you got it done. :thumbsup:

earlye
05-15-2006, 03:05 PM
respower is something i looked into and also calculated estimated rendertime and cost and found it actually pretty expensive...
45 mins of rendering about $400.

also.. a 4 day (special offer?) for 1000 dollars and a full month for 2000 seems a bitt ackward to me, doesnt it?

I'm always amazed when people say that ResPower is expensive. When we first opened our doors, our closest competitor, price-wise, was charging 20x what we were for LightWave renders (we started @ $0.50/GHz*Hr; our nearest competitor was doing something like $10.00).

You can now have LW rendering for as little as $0.20/GHz*Hr using the metered, or essentially nil with the unlimited deals. I recently did the math for 24x7 rendering and it was a little less than $0.01 per GHz*Hr.

Here's the numbers for those who might be doubtful: When the queue is deep, you typically get roughly 100 3 GHz CPU's. In order to be conservative, we'll assume that it's always deep, so we'll use a baseline of 300 GHz*Hrs every hour. 300 * 24 = 7200 GHz*Hrs per day. 7200 * 30 = 216,000 GHz*Hrs every month. $2000/216,000GHz*Hr=$0.0092... Now, throw in the fact that the queue isn't always deep, and... :stumped: well, I think it's very inexpensive in any event.

Re. the $1k for 4-days versus $2k for 1 month, we've obviously priced it to encourage you to sign up for longer periods :deal: . We would prefer that our customers are using our render farm (http://www.respower.com/) continually, rather than just at the end of the project life cycle.

I'm not sure who originally posted the apache AH-64 quote, but they mentioned a 10-hour wait. Those sort of wait times are actually now a thing of the past. We recently introduced a new scheduler, and the farm now splits itself between all comers more effectively. Computers cycle to users without any processing more readily than they used to, leading to faster turnarounds.

cresshead
05-15-2006, 03:31 PM
just had a look at the respower website and i'm a bit confused to the actual options avialable...

the site asks you for your cpu type and a sample job you may have for it ..it then calcs how long YOU woud take to render and how long respower would and an estimated cost result...

but the only option i can see are for a 4 daya flat fee of $1000 or a month at $2000....

ami missing somehting?...can you submit the job respower asked you about and get charged the fee they calculated?...:stumped:

..been a long day here...maybe i'm too tired!

earlye
05-15-2006, 03:59 PM
It's all a bit confusing, I know. It's not just that you're tired. We're working on finding that perfect mix... The page that would probably help clarify all of this for you is here: render farm pricing (https://www.respower.com/page_pricing).

The 4 day and monthly subscriptions are alternatives to the Metered Service, which is what the guestimator tries to extrapolate a price for. The idea behind the guestimator is that you put in your render times, and we guess what the corresponding turnaround times will be on this end, as well as the cost for using the metered service.

For example, if I had a whole feature film to render, 90 min * 60 sec/min * 30 fps, thats 30*60*90=162,000 frames. If each of those took me 10 minutes on a HT P4, I'm looking at 3 years and a month or so of 24x7 rendering on my computer. The guestimator says that the ResPower render farm (http://www.respower.com/) would churn through it in a few days at a Metered cost of somewhere between $32k and $48k.

Or, I could buy a 4 day pass and render the whole thing for $1000.00. Or I could buy a monthly subscription and render it a few times - you know - to get the lighting just right.

wavk
05-16-2006, 01:46 AM
thanx for the explanation earlye, for me personally the 400$ is a bitt expensive and i dont have experience concerning other farms.

btw. can you also explain to me the pricing on blender?
(as low as .20$ ?) thanx!

mlon

earlye
05-16-2006, 05:08 AM
I understand - as much as we'd like to, we can't always price to please everybody all of the time. Keeping a farm of this size up & running is of course not a cheap exercise, so of course our prices are inevitably going to drive some people away. Hopefully we can continue our tradition of driving prices down so that at some point in the near future you'll find the pricing more agreeable.

btw. can you also explain to me the pricing on blender?
(as low as .20$ ?) thanx!

The pricing on blender is actually as low as $20.00, not $0.20, but it is still remarkably inexpensive. This is mostly because Blender itself is open-source and therefore used primarily by hobbyists. Blender users receive much lower priority than other users and are essentially buying otherwise spare render time. In addition, Blender subscriptions are usable only by individuals, whereas other subscriptions are usable by teams of animators.

Blender is a nice enough package, but its learning curve is the steepest of the 3d packages we support. If you're considering using it in order to get cheap rendering, I would advise developing a workflow to import scenes created in LW to render in Blender rather than learning Blender outright. Note also that the Blender time limits are considerably more restrictive than the other subscriptions (15 minutes / task vs. 2 Hrs).

I hope this helps clarify things for you.