PDA

View Full Version : Unexpected Negative Keyframing Behavior

nickej
05-06-2006, 09:15 PM
I'm trying to adjust an animation and having some difficulty. I had a series of proxy objects moving in order to rough out animation of a group of complex objects. My intention is to save out the motion paths and then load them into the complex objects which I'll "Load From Scene" into a separate scene.

I've done a few objects already, but for the next one it turns out that I need to allow a few frames for the complex objects to settle into place (it starts onscreen), so I thought I'd just kick the start frame of my setup animation back to -10, set a keyframe a few mm away from the original start and go from there. I need to set the new key a few mm away because the object orientation is dependent on "align to path" constraints, and with no motion, it doesn't align, screwing up the entire reason for the exercise.

So, it turns out that while I can "set" those -10 keys (there's a slash in the timeline indicating that one was made) no data is stored. At least, the object snaps to the original beginning as though there were no set keyframe.

This is the first time I've needed negative keys in LW, although not in other apps. Is there some restriction on their use I ought to know about? If not, whassup?

evenflcw
05-07-2006, 04:29 AM
Could you perhaps replace the item with a null and upload the scene? It seems like very odd behavior.

nickej
05-07-2006, 08:12 AM
Good idea!
Here' you go...

toby
05-07-2006, 01:01 PM
Well you've got a motion modifier on that object. That usually overrides keyframes.

It's also not a good idea to name nulls with symbols, I've already run into problems with plugins.

nickej
05-07-2006, 01:24 PM
Ohhhhh, dang! I knew that! Just too darn close to it right now, I guess...
Thanks!
I'll also look into your recommendation about Nulls and symbols. I've been having an intermittent problem with FPrime that's driving me buggy. That may have something to do with it....
And thanks again!

toby
05-07-2006, 01:51 PM
:foreheads

happens to all of us!

I don't think the name of objects will effect FPrime, it's more like animation or file i/o plugins that use the object names for reference. FPrime is a little wonky on it's own - but you never know, give it a shot