PDA

View Full Version : Particles: Need a little help if possible please.

Gr1mRe4pEr
05-06-2006, 06:03 PM
Hi people, my first post on these forums. Im just getting into lightwave now, at the moment its a bit of fun but when I get the time and money I hope to go into some education with lightwave.

Currently using 8.5 x86

My problem is at the moment, I have a particle emitter parented to a moving object. The emitter a single point polygon with "Object Vertices" as the nozzle (as this is the only way I can think of at the moment that forces particles to generate from 1 place). I need the particle to generate from a specific place but for some reason the particle appears to wait 1 frame after generation before moving, making it look like it appears to the side of where I want it to appear from. I have managed to link this to "Record Step Frame" in the "Etc" tab as when I increase this number, the amount of frames it takes for the particle to start moving after generation is related to the number set in that field. For some reason the "Record step frame" will not go lower then 1. Is there another way around this?

Thanks

James

HowardM
05-06-2006, 08:50 PM
Record Step doesnt do what youre thinking...its the same as Step in the timeline, where you are only calculating ever X frame...so for proper calculations leave it at 1.

If an object is moving fast, the emission will be behind the object.
To counteract this you can tweak the Parent Motion % to low or negative #s to emit particles closer to the obejct.

The best solution is to change your scene to be double or triple the frames, record a slower simulation (which would be more accurate) and then save the .pfx file, and then set it to play it at 200 or 300 % speed in your final scene....

Oh and dont forget, ALWAYS hit FXStart from FXBrowser, and save out your pfx files....sometimes when simply playing the dynamics in the timeline, or even calculating them with FXStart, the viewport will be one frame behind the actual object, making it look like the particles are off, until you play it back...

Gr1mRe4pEr
05-07-2006, 09:52 AM
:thumbsup: Thats a great help thanks. I now understand how Record step Frame actually works now, couldn't find a reference in the v8 manual.

Yeah I learned about saving pfx's early on, just got everything how I wanted it, saved the scene then went to bed, only to come back and every particle was somewhere else the next day.

I see something I could do now is increase the FPS to 4x the speed then render every 4th frame and keep the speed and get the particle in the right place.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated. :thumbsup:

James

HowardM
05-07-2006, 02:57 PM
no problem :D