PDA

View Full Version : CamMate Jib

TRCC
05-06-2006, 10:30 AM
Any one using a cammate jib?

Just wonderin.

cholo
05-07-2006, 03:12 AM
I do regularly. It's a great tool that enables you to do any shot you can imagine very professionally. Expect long setup times though, and moving it from one place to another can be complicated. The tripod is very unstable while rolling on wheels and can easily tumble if you aren't extremely careful, potentially damaging the whole thing, plus your cameras, monitors,etc... Indoor use is also very limited because of the size of the thing. Expect a steep learning curve to master if moving it yourself, or search for a good operator for best results. Also, have someone always checking on the camera and yelling out if it is on a collision path with something, because you can easily lose track of where it is and smack it into an object or the ground itself. Remember to ask for a hefty battery package if you're renting it for use outdoors, because it requires a lot of power. Umbrellas and grip equipment to support them are also very useful, as it is very hard to look at a monitor in direct sunlight. Larger cameras and film cameras can be remotely controlled, but for small cameras you will need an assistant to zoom, focus and start/stop recording. Remember to turn off all OIS in smaller cameras before mounting them. Don't expect the remote controls to be good enough to pul rack focus on the fly for difficult shots. In those instances it works best to have a focus puller working directly at the camera location. When planning your moves, remember the path the camera travels is an arc, so place your tripod in a place where this arc will be the path you intend it to travel. You need to balance the weight perfectly so you won't be fighting the rig. You can also assemble the arm longer or shorter depending on the size you need. Windy conditions can also affect the arm when it is very long, so expect having a hard time when working in those conditions. Last, always ask the rental outfit to bring extra servos in case they quit working properly because I've had them fail and it's a nightmare to have a non working unit on location.

Jim_C
05-08-2006, 04:27 PM
I run a cammate for about 40-55 hours just about every weekend. Have for about 10 years. Any particular question in mind?

I can set up the 15 footer in about an hour.
Tear down in less.

They make several dollys, including driveable carts that make moving them a snap.

Lots of great guys here....
http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/CamMateOwnerOperator/
Willing to help with any question. It's also watched by Cammate employees.

TRCC
05-09-2006, 12:32 AM
Just wonderin, we bought one and just got it in. Big step up from the stanton Jimmy Jib.

thanks for all the input

Luke