PDA

View Full Version : 3d max files imported into lightwave

rushvan
05-05-2006, 03:12 PM
how can i import 3d studio max files into lightwave. render then save as jpeg or bitmap?

cresshead
05-05-2006, 03:26 PM
export from 3ds max as a fbx file the import into layout with the fbx importer...you need 3dsmax to do this

BazC
05-05-2006, 03:27 PM
Export as 3ds or I think there's an .obj file export plug for Max? Then you're all set!

mosconariz
05-05-2006, 07:02 PM
yeah, obj works really good for Max and Maya... FBX for the scenes... but check out the version and how complex is the scene

rvarela
05-05-2006, 09:56 PM
Rushvan, take a look at this link: http://www.righthemisphere.com/products/dexp/

I use this software, and is very usefull to translate different formats to Lightwave.

RedBull
05-06-2006, 03:05 PM
Deep Exploration won't convert .Max files to anything, without Max installed.
Same with C4D files. Unless you own 3D Studio Max, it's useless...
And if you own 3D studio max, you can export as .obj....

Max is a proprietry format that contains instructions for Max, on how to build the stack, it contains scene and object info from that, it will never be easily convertable..... It quite simply sux as a object format.

Waylander
05-14-2006, 09:07 AM
Hi Anyone,

I really need help with this one too! I have a lot of old 3ds files I need to use in Lightwave. When I import the 3DS file in appear all broken up, all the objects appear on one layer. Making it just one lump of misalighed vertexes. Making it impossible to edit.

I've tried many file formats to get them into lightwave, nothing works, mostly it does not recognise or just ignores the file I've tried to import.

If I have to ability to convert to FBX from max, how can I import the FBX file to lightwave, if lightwave does not recognise the FBX format. As far as I can make out Lightwave will not recognise any other 3D file type.

Help
Paul

cresshead
05-14-2006, 11:38 AM
remember that .3ds contains keyframe data, lighting data and camera data as well as groups, instances, mirroring...all of these are NOT supported by the .3ds impot filter found in modeler in lightwave...that's WHY they screw up on import

if you want just poly data then export as a .obj there's free exporters for most versions of 3dsmax if your exporting fropm 3dsmax or dxf

if your just trying to load a .3ds file from someone else then if you can ask them to strip out any grouping, morroring etc before export.

if you can't contact to creator but just have bought dl'd the .3ds file then you may want to convert it with one of the free 3d file format converter app out there...google it.

for import into lightwave as a fbx file read my post above....you do this with lightwave layout and NOT lightwave modeler...:lwicon:

as for not seeing import filters in modeler...
modeler load .lwo files and if you drop the dialoge down to all file formats you can also load .obj and dxf.

:thumbsup:

cresshead
05-14-2006, 11:44 AM
Deep Exploration won't convert .Max files to anything, without Max installed.
Same with C4D files. Unless you own 3D Studio Max, it's useless...
And if you own 3D studio max, you can export as .obj....

Max is a proprietry format that contains instructions for Max, on how to build the stack, it contains scene and object info from that, it will never be easily convertable..... It quite simply sux as a object format.

actually as a fact .max is NOT an object file format at all....it's a scene format with contains the poly meshes, objects, groups, instances, references materials, animation keys, modifiers on each object, lights,lighting data such as radiosity mesh, volumetrics, bone deformation, particle fx, scripted operators is it no wonder that it only works with 3dsmax, 3dsviz and a handful of autodesk cad and special fx apps?:argue:

Waylander
05-15-2006, 12:04 PM
Thanks For Replying CressHead,

Yeah, it's fine, I'm aware of the fact that Max files don't open with other apps. Like most apps being no compliant with each other. That's fine.

I've found Accutrans, and it does what I want. So for now I'm happy with that! Now to get my head around Lightwave, as I've only just purchased it recently. It's gonna take a lot of mind twisting, to change the way I do things from working with max. Seems trickier to do what I would call basic things, even selecting objects in a scene to working on. Ah! I'll get to grips with layers and that eventually!

Thanks again!

cresshead
05-15-2006, 12:21 PM
i came from max over to lightwave..actually i still use both nr everyday..the complement each other very well...you'll eventually love lightwave's modeler for many tasks though max still has a few cool things of it's own re modeler as well

if your having a hard time selecting onjects in layout then open up the classic scene editor and use that to select and lock various objects...works abit like the h key in max mixed with the display tab in max too...

Nigel_pl
05-16-2006, 09:56 AM
Hi Waylander,

There is a free FBX importer/exporter for LW which should work well. Hope this helps.

Regards,
Nige

http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/downloads/FBX.php

SP00
08-08-2006, 07:33 PM
Hi, I tried the plugin, but it does not support LW9. I was wondering if anyone has any luck transfering the 3DS Max 8 files into LW9 while preserving all maps including UVs. So far the Wavefront .obj files will not preserve the textures nor which surface is smooth. I guess I'm wondering if there are any perfect solution, or do I have to tweak? Thanks.

MicroMouse
08-08-2006, 09:39 PM
Waylander,

In AccuTrans use the "File->Open With Options" menu command to open a dialog box. There is a check box called "Use 3DS Key Frame". For some 3DS files this check box has to be checked and for others it should not be checked.

Wayne

Medi8or
08-09-2006, 04:25 AM
The FBX importer/exporter works fine with LW9.
I downloaded the latest available plugin a month or so ago from http://www.autodesk.com/fbx