PDA

View Full Version : I'm certanly Hoping for [9]'s updated interface graphics

dualboot
05-05-2006, 12:10 PM
..but judging by beta videos this will not happen.

Does anyone have any info on this subject, since LW is begging for redesign?

Red_Oddity
05-05-2006, 12:39 PM
Well, i think they focus on the more important things right now (judging offcourse what one might think important can differ from person to person offcourse), the whole core rewrite and getting stuff to play nicely with each other has a higher priority than a redesign of the UI graphics.

But, while we're on the subject ,what i would like to see is not a simple graphic overhaul, but a new (fourth generation) LW/Xpanel plugin, one that is ready for the future sort to say, one that is a lot more flexible in how to design the interface (modo has this pretty well nailed down) and on how to customise according to YOUR workflow, rather than the one set forth by the programmers/designers of the software.

Maybe they'll do this for the next installment of LW...Who knows...

hrgiger
05-05-2006, 12:51 PM
All I have heard thus far is that you will be able to easily customize the colors, but I haven't heard anything about a GUI overhaul or anything.

Perhaps this is something that Newtek should consult outside designers for...

cresshead
05-05-2006, 01:01 PM
they should copy their own apps...ie speed edit U.I looks VERY nice...bolt that onto lightwave 9!
it looks quite 'autodesk motion builder' like tome

metahumanity
05-05-2006, 02:24 PM
Yep, speed editīs design would be a great improvement over what we have now in LW. It cpuld even be an option. Full user-defined skinning would be the best, of course.

UnCommonGrafx
05-05-2006, 03:09 PM
That's funny! The VidHeads have always wanted some of LW.

Now, I just want the two technical genius departments talk to each other...

SpeedEdit + LW = LWConnect
http://www.toastergarage.com/lwconnect/

From the timeline of SpeedEdit (soon to come) into LW and back. Very cool.

My idea. ;)

they should copy their own apps...ie speed edit U.I looks VERY nice...bolt that onto lightwave 9!
it looks quite 'autodesk motion builder' like tome

RedBull
05-05-2006, 03:55 PM
I think the only mentioned UI enhancement are the ones below.

From the LW9 Prelim list - UI Configuration

Now the user has more control over how the user interface appears and operates:

The ability to change colors of almost any element; the ability to create special tabs with user defined commands

The ability to change the colors of animation channels

The ability to customize display and selection colors of points, edges and polygons

The ability to control the display of polygon normals beyond what was previously available

"The ability to change colors of almost any element; the ability to create special tabs with user defined commands "

I'm most interested to see how the ability to make special tabs, with user defined commands....

I mean i can already do this now, i'd like to see what the change in LW9 is.?

As for the UI overhaul, if you radically changed the interface, you would break every plugin and element of the current LW, to do it....
Totally new nice GUI for LW, is not a realistic option at the moment..

RedBull
05-05-2006, 03:59 PM
Double Post - DOH!

Nicolas Jordan
05-05-2006, 09:40 PM
I noticed that Lightwave 6 through to Lightwave7.5 looked the same except for a few minor interface changes so I would expect Lightwave 8 to 9 series to keep the same look. Seems like Lightwave 10 might be the next version that the interface gets a new look according to the trends of past history. :D

dogbite
05-06-2006, 06:20 AM
i kinda like the interface look. simple and effective.

theo
05-06-2006, 06:52 AM
I noticed that Lightwave 6 through to Lightwave7.5 looked the same except for a few minor interface changes so I would expect Lightwave 8 to 9 series to keep the same look. Seems like Lightwave 10 might be the next version that the interface gets a new look according to the trends of past history. :D

If there isn't a MAJOR feature enhancement in LW10 yet the interface is completely redesigned the response will probably be, "What the heck? This is absurd, they want 350 bucks and I just get Lightwave with a new face sewed on? No way Buckaroo Bob, I ain't paying for that let's wait for LW 11 and the new super-duper animation tools where 3D characters actually animate themsleves while you sit there eating jelly doughnuts with cheezwiz on top".

So be it as it may and as much perturbance of the forum waters by interface enhancement discussions who is really willing to pay for this.

Uh-huh exactly, which is why deep interface design is on the back burner for right now and in my view probably will be for a while until they get the core where they want it.

Just my conjecture.

Ztreem
05-06-2006, 06:55 AM
I think it could be more aesthetic appealing than it is now without taking the simple and effective away. Even if I don't think LW is effective in many ways but that an other story.

pixelinfected
05-06-2006, 08:09 AM
i hope that newtek not change the appleal of lw, only the interface under the basic.
think to zbrush interface, is not too much complex or resource consuming, but fast, clear and very useful...

theo
05-06-2006, 09:13 AM
i hope that newtek not change the appleal of lw, only the interface under the basic.
think to zbrush interface, is not too much complex or resource consuming, but fast, clear and very useful...

Infected Pixel (I feel sorry for your pixel by the way)- please define appeal (or actually to be correct I should type "appleal") as stated in your statement.

Just curious because appeal is a VERY deep word.

pixelinfected
05-06-2006, 10:09 AM
i like the simplicity and productive oriented style of lw interface.
i hate icons, be cause too often there are too much icon similar and is more difficult to see how tool is...
i prefer text oriented button, be cause is impossible to do wrong choose, if you see other pros softwares like xsi, zbrush you can see similar interface.

my best preference is zbrush, be cause is simple, fast, clear and light to use, also on slow computer...

i talk about appeal (ok i wrote wrong word) be cause when i start to do 3d (since 15 years ago) i find in lw3d the ideal 3d, i come from some esoteric software where all was abstract, and camera like a cinematographic camera, light like a cinema spot were my dream...

Ztreem
05-06-2006, 11:24 AM
I also like the simplicity of the LW interface and don't want to switch it for a icon based GUI, I just want it to feel a little more "fresh". Even if I think the workflow of LW should be taken care of first before the face lift phase.

Nemoid
05-06-2006, 01:45 PM
the Lw UI is not bad. its functional in most of its parts. if i could say something, is that it could be "stylized" way better. i remember yet some of the proposals for 8.0 UI from users in this forum, and some of them were actually awesome, elegant,both in colour schemes and button design.

the most important thing is that in LwUI some reorganization and little features could be needed. for example, tools that find their place into several panels : camera tools, render options, object properties... some of them is placed a bit oddly. this coud be good also for some similar modelling tools. they could be grouped, reunited.
other functions could be studied to streamline inteface workflow : for example i'd like to scrub through tabs with a keyboard shortcut. :)

about customizability. its the best option to allow the end user the most level of customizability. i saw some images on SQ time ago, after Siggraph and they clearly showed u can customize even buttons, and more.

so i think Nt has worked and will work on it. maybe it will not be all in 9.0 release, but it will come.

loki74
05-06-2006, 02:20 PM
A lot of people seem to just absolutely LOVE the SpeedEdit UI... I'm not all that thrilled by it. (well, as much of it as we can see in the screenshots). I like how clean and modern it is, but the graphics for the buttons seem kind of, well, i dunno... sub par.

I think that there are a number of things that LW could be shaped after. I think that for the numeric panel, a UI behavior similar to that of the numeric input/scrollers in Combustion would be great. I also like the look of the buttons and such in Shake, the general look of Apple's ProKit apps, and of course, the Lightwave vX thing. thats pretty cool.

I think that its very important to keep in mind that its not just how the UI looks, but how it behaves... As much as I enjoy working in LW, it both looks and behaves kind of old, if you will.

evenflcw
05-06-2006, 04:20 PM
I think that its very important to keep in mind that its not just how the UI looks, but how it behaves...

Agree. After the LW8 recoloring, I don't care much how it looks. The second I got LW8 installed and running the interface colors was the last thing on my mind. In short, I don't need NT to waste time picking colors, because it doesn't affect my workflow at all. I want a more functional interface. Ultimatly I'd like them to "objectify" the whole interface all the way down to the buttons so I'll be able to place anything anywhere I want (via some genius interface or scripting) or something to that direction. I'd like real context sensitive menus (configurable even!) that pop up when I click rmb (not some wierd three finger combo). I'd like panels that snap neatly to the side of the main window or dock in a viewport (to get rid of all those floating panels)... yadda yadda yadda. I want function rather than form, because in terms of workflow, form doesn't really matter. If it happens to look good, that's a bonus. LW9 and beyond most likely won't end up looking like an average windows application anyway, so no need to worry.