PDA

View Full Version : Spotlights not staying put!

Nova L
05-26-2003, 05:56 PM
I'm very new to Lightwave 3D and I'm trying to learn as much as I can. Right now I'm following a tutorial on making a classic wine glass but I'm having troubles with the lighting! When I hit the "render current frame" or "Render scene" all the light and camera angles revert to where they once started. How do I make them stay in one spot? Can someone help me please?

ReAder
05-26-2003, 06:04 PM
Press enter to make a keyframe....

WizCraker
05-26-2003, 06:18 PM
Or turn Auto Keyframe on.

head worm
05-27-2003, 05:13 AM
Nova,

Previous posts are correct, although I suspect that you may need a little more background for them to really make sense, as you seem to be a beginner.

Adding keyframes is the basis of simple animation in Lightwave. If you make a change to any object or channel in Lightwave but haven't created a keyframe there, the change isn't recorded. It's a bit like recording into a tape machine that's in Play but not in Record. If you THOUGHT it was in record, you'd feel a little baffled by the lack of anything sounding on playback. Hitting the Record button is therefore a vital part of the process of recording.

There are two basic ways of adding keyframes and recording motion in Lightwave:

1. automatically when you change something
2. manually by hitting the 'RETURN' key and selecting specified channels.

You can change whether you want to 'Auto Key Create' within Lightwave's general options panel (hit 'o' key on the keyboard). There are a couple of self-explanatory options to choose from.

Auto Key Creating is the best way to ensure that you don't make lots of lovely animation changes without recording them. However, it can be a little destructive as it will change all your modified settings as soon as you make them. As Lightwave still doesn't have mutliple undos, this can be problematic when you decide that you preferred what you had before!

I prefer to change Keys using option2 above - manually - by hitting the 'RETURN' key. A key creation box will appear with various options. Remembering to do this takes time and I think we all have 'D'oh!' moments when we forget to create a key before moving and losing the changes.

There is an 'Auto Key' button on the main interface which will update already created Keyframes, but will not create new ones where they don't exist. This is located below the timeline, above the Create Key and Delete Key butons.

I hope this is helpful.

Head Worm
www.the-worms-of-art.com

Matt
05-27-2003, 11:08 AM
:) the LW community as it's best!

Nova L
05-27-2003, 03:25 PM
Wow that is ALLOT of help! Thank you very much!! :eek:

Very greatful all. I've been fiddling around with lightwave for about two days now and I've already learned so much here. :D

I have one more question. What and how do you use plugins? .lsc files? x_X;;

Rei
05-27-2003, 04:14 PM
A plugin is somthing that adds to LW to make it do more things. Most of the tools that you use are allready plugins. To add a plugin go to the program it is for (layout or modler) and then go modler - plugins - add plugins (thats for mod, layout is the same). find the plugin you want to add *.p and hit enter. Blam plugin added.