PDA

View Full Version : Problem with PNGs

J_Camp
05-04-2006, 09:01 AM
I created some keys in Photoshop and saved them with a transparent background as PNGs. When I pulled them into VT[4.6], they had a white background and no alpha.

Anyone know what the problem is? Am I doing anything wrong or does VT[4.6] just "not like" Photoshop PNGs?

billmi
05-04-2006, 09:40 AM
I got stymied with the same thing, just this morning. Couldn't find an answer in the manual.

I would assume there is a checkbox in CG Designer, to tell it to use or ignore the alpha channel in the PNG, but I can't find it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jim Capillo
05-04-2006, 10:11 AM
Try changing the PShop mode to "Indexed Color", then saving as a png.....

Works here.....

John Perkins
05-04-2006, 10:39 AM
Adobe has had several different ways of treating the empty space in a layer. Sometimes it treats it as solid, sometimes alpha. There is even a patch that changes how some versions work.

You can save as a 24bit PNG instead of 32bit to remove the alpha completely without resorting to paletized color.

Original1
05-06-2006, 11:55 AM
Adobe has had several different ways of treating the empty space in a layer. Sometimes it treats it as solid, sometimes alpha. There is even a patch that changes how some versions work.

You can save as a 24bit PNG instead of 32bit to remove the alpha completely without resorting to paletized color.

At one time photoshop's default for PNG's was interlaced which used to cause problems for loading in Flash maybe its an interlacing issue

J_Camp
05-07-2006, 03:42 PM
Thanks, guys, I'll give all of these a shot systematically and see what happens.

mgrusin
05-07-2006, 03:47 PM
I have an older version of Photoshop with which I've never been able to get transparency to output correctly. I believe newer Adobe products work better (my late-model Illustrator for example).

Good luck! -Mike G.

J_Camp
05-07-2006, 04:26 PM
...but I think I'm good there. I'm running Photoshop CS.

Jim Capillo
05-07-2006, 05:32 PM
...but I think I'm good there. I'm running Photoshop CS.

Can you post one of the files?

J_Camp
05-11-2006, 07:53 AM
...when I get back in the office next week. Taking some time off right now.

J_Camp
05-17-2006, 11:04 AM
Here you go, Jim.

The Bridge 1a file is Indexed Color Mode.

The Vamp file is non-interlaced.

The screenshot shows the settings when I save the file in Indexed Color Mode.

Each one is saved with as a PNG with transparent back in Photoshop CS, but shows up with a white back when selected in VT[4].

Any answers? It's just weird.

Rich Deustachio
05-17-2006, 11:59 AM
I always make a new layer and create text in that layer, not the background layer and the alpha always works.

Ivan
05-17-2006, 12:20 PM
Any reason you are using Indexed Color instead of RGB? Do you have this problem when saving an RGB PNG?

Ivan

J_Camp
05-17-2006, 01:24 PM
Thanks for the replies, guys.

Rich,

I did that every time, too and this is what I got. This layer still shows as transparent in the PSD file in CS also, but it has a white back in VT with some black artifacts and some rough edges on the text.

Ivan,

Because I had the problem in RGB, and, as you can see from reading earlier in the thread, Jim C. suggested doing that because that is what he does.

It's just got to be something stupid that I'm missing.

joseburgos
05-26-2006, 11:13 AM
Try this.
Open an already created CG Designer PNG file in PS.
Add text to it.
Save as PNG no interlace.
Load into VT.

Jose Burgos

joseburgos
05-26-2006, 11:15 AM
Ohhh wow :)
I just noticed that I can edit the CG Designer text in PS.
That is pretty cool.

Jose Burgos

joseburgos
05-26-2006, 11:19 AM
Disregard :(
I swear it did it (allowed me to edit the CG text) but can not make it do it again.

Jose Burgos

joseburgos
05-26-2006, 11:31 AM
Question?
Do you check overlay on the image?
That is the only way it works for me when I do it in PS.

Jose Burgos

Jim Capillo
05-26-2006, 04:36 PM
I am using PS 7 and one step that I forgot was to change to "indexed color" and THEN go back to RGB. For some reason, it allows me to get rid of the background with much higher resolution (less blockiness in the type and tools). I'm not sure if this is peculiar to my machine or PS 7, but I know it works. For a long time, I wasn't using the VT CG - I was using PS and *gasp* the Trinity CG for graphics. :D

Jim Capillo
05-26-2006, 04:45 PM
try this.... I changed it from Indexed to RGB then back.

Jim Capillo
05-26-2006, 04:47 PM
Hmmmm..... that one didn't work, not sure what's going on, try again in RGB.

Not that either. I will check with the VT when I get in the office tomorrow.

J_Camp
05-27-2006, 07:58 PM
...and I got the same nasty looking thumbnails, but now, for some reason, the thumbnails show just like I meant them to when I bring them in on the DSK.

It's weird...funky white back with all the artifacts in the thumbnail (even in the DDR), but pretty DSK presentation now...i don't get it. Just glad it works, I guess. :stumped:

billmi
07-10-2006, 01:42 PM
Last week, while importing a logo into CG, I got it working fine.

The original graphic was built in photoshop, with portions of the foreground layer transparent, and the background layer visibility turned off. The graphic was in RGB mode.

Using "Save For Web" with transparency checked (when applicable) I found:

JPG - no transparency (duh)
GIF - no transparency
PNG (8 bit) - no transparency
PNG (24 bit) - transparency worked fine.