PDA

View Full Version : Depth of Field

Joey_C
05-03-2006, 02:52 PM
I try and try to make the Depth of Field work to blur the background of a scene, and no matter where I set the Focal Distance and Lens F- Stop there are NO changes in each render. Am I missing something here like when you add a glow to have to also enable it in the processing tap of effects??? How do you use these settings? Again all's I am trying to do is to blur ONLY the object in the back and have everything else focused.

THANKS

Joey

jeremyhardin
05-03-2006, 04:59 PM
you need at least medium AA (or PLD 7) to see DOF. and you usually need small Fstop to really bring the effect out (like 0.1 or so as a starter).

but then you still have to have the distance set to whereever the objects in focus are.

Joey_C
05-03-2006, 06:41 PM
jeremyhardin thank you for your reply. I have done all this (all you said)and still nothing happens. Is there something else I am missing? It seems so easy but I must be missing something.

Thanks again for your reply.

JC

jeremyhardin
05-03-2006, 07:05 PM
add a null.
parent it to the camera.
in the null's object properties, add a custom object and choose Depth of Field display.
set the camera's AA appropriately.
check Depth of Field.
from here on out, you can refresh the Depth of Field display by moving the timeslider back and forth.
Set the Fstop to 0.1 or 0.05.
move the Focal Distance where you want it.

Still no Dice? are you using Sas-Lite? it has a limit of AA, so too high will register as no DOF. are you using HV's? if they have Volumetric AA off, they may not show DOF.

Any other post processes happening?

jeremyhardin
05-03-2006, 07:08 PM
Also, Shift F9 is DOF and Motion Blur Preview in OpenGL, so see if it shows up there after you set it up.

if all else fails, you can try a post process like Digital Confusion (included with LW).

it let's you autofocus to an object and is pretty simple to set up And there's no minimum AA. i wouldn't start with such low Fstop values with Digital Confusion though. maybe 2 as a good starting place. Rendertimes can get long. And don't use Adaptive Sampling with it.

RedBull
05-03-2006, 07:12 PM
Despite the warning you need PLD-7 or better AA settings, for it to work.

I just tried it, and it works with PLD-9 or better, and not PLD-7 as the LW dialog states.

Classic Medium or better will also work without problems.

Joey_C
05-04-2006, 05:04 AM
Thanks for the help. I will try it now.

Appreciate you jeremyhardin

Joey

Sarford
05-04-2006, 09:24 AM
Also don't forget that the closer the focal point is to the camera, the more you will see depth of field.
In other words, the closer the focal distance to your camera, the shorter your "sharp" erea, the further away from your camera the longer your sharp erea.
This means that its possible that all your objects are in focus just because they are too far away from your camera. Look at the size of your objects and the distance to the camera when using digital confusion because it will use real world mesurements. Its real hard to get a good depth of field if your objects are several meters high/big and your camera is a few hundert meters away...

(if I all remember correctly from my photography classes :P )

Joey_C
05-04-2006, 09:28 AM
Sarford thank you that was what I was doing wrong.

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jeremyhardin
05-04-2006, 09:31 AM
the Depth of Field display would have shown this. ;)

RedBull
05-04-2006, 02:23 PM
Also while we are discussing DOF...
Has anyone got the Image Filter "Depth of Field Blur" to work at ALL?

Digital Confusion, and standard DOF work no problems...

But i can't for the life of me, get the Fast DOFB filter to make any noticable difference at all..... The manual is quite vague, but mentions it should work.

Anybody?