PDA

View Full Version : Academic version questions

Arcturus
05-02-2006, 08:21 PM
Hi all, we've just purchased a copy of Lightwave academic version for a school which I've been using to design some graphics for online coursework and other web-related activities our school uses.

Now from my understanding there are no legal issues with using Lightwave to produce work that is published internally. My question is, if I develop something for the school website, would this be considered commercial? From searching the forums, it seems that you cannot use the academic version if you are making money from the work your produce. However, we are not selling the 3D artwork itself, rather it is being used to spice up the website. I'm also interested in using Lightwave to work on personal websites where I am not selling the 3D art itself.

Secondly (I'm sure this has been asked before so I apologise), can I install Lightwave on my home machine and take home the dongle to avoid licensing issues, or is this also illegal? I know that many software solutions use dongles to allow copies of software to be installed in multiple locations, but only one may be used at a time.

Thanks for your help.

BazC
05-03-2006, 12:15 AM
I can help with your second question, you can install Lightwave on as many machines as you like, the Dongle ensures you can only fully utilise one copy at a time. That's the beauty of the dongle, you're free to use Lightwave at home, work or anywhere else that takes your fancy! :D

The first part is a bit more tricky and probably depends on the nature of the website. If it was simply showing off the kids work it might be considered purely academic and be fine. If it was promoting the school, potentially attracting new students (paying ones?) then it might be considered a commercial site.

You'd probably better wait and see what Newtek has to say on the matter! - Baz

Lottmedia
05-03-2006, 07:27 AM
As a former Academic ITer I might be able to help the first. If it's used for the school then it's OK. On the website, dosen't matter. It's still academic use. Schools use academic copies of Word, Photoshop, Dreamweaver and such for their infrastructure. It's there for students to learn the software at a reasonable cost, but also as a substy to institutions to promote the use of said products.

Now as to a personal web site, that might be tricker. As a general rule it's fine as long as you're a student (or academically authorized) and not making money off it. I usually tell students to spend their first paying gig to upgrade their software to "get legal" That way they're covered. Some software companies are more lenient than others (Adobe is great BTW, but Microsoft does actually have a team of ninjas ready to pounce at a moments notice :)) but it's always good to cover yourself on that front.

As a side note: Horror story, working with a student to get some Autodesk software (Combustion as I recall, but 3DS Max came up too) While I was speaking to the Autodesk rep about the software I mentioned upgrade paths for the Academic software. He informed me that Autodesk did not upgrade Academic software (unlike almost every other company, NT included) so when the student wanted to start using the software commercially they would have to esentially go back to the start, and buy the full retail package at full cost. I had never heard of that before. Way to get people using your software.

Anywho, that's my bit, hope it helps :)

Casey :cat:

lilrayray77
05-03-2006, 02:34 PM
Another great thing about newtek, is your allowed to simply purchase the commercial upgrade to v9 in stead of some other "accedemic upgrade".

Arcturus
05-03-2006, 08:27 PM
Thanks for the help. I think I'm set now for the school website and other areas within the school.

I'm still not 100% sure about my personal site. The site is being designed to make money, but the Lightwave renders are only being used to develop the navigation interface. Other than that the entire site has nothing to do with 3D artwork, etc.

RedBull
05-03-2006, 09:15 PM
Thanks for the help. I think I'm set now for the school website and other areas within the school.

I'm still not 100% sure about my personal site. The site is being designed to make money, but the Lightwave renders are only being used to develop the navigation interface. Other than that the entire site has nothing to do with 3D artwork, etc.

You get close to the grey area, on the personal website....

But i believe you are totally within the agreements, to provide content
to the website, so long as it's not used printed or reproduced and where payment is made directly as a result of the work.

Arcturus
05-03-2006, 11:59 PM
Thanks RedBull. I'm actually now thinking that if this website does become successful, I may print out some business cards or advertising posters using those graphics. That's probably moving towards the red area I suppose, but I guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.