Kuzey
05-02-2006, 02:55 AM
http://www.apple.com/getamac/ads/

These are funny...check them out

:neener:

Kuzey

dsol
05-02-2006, 10:02 AM
Am I the only one who finds these ads... erm... unbearably smug? I'm not trying to troll - I'm a longtime macHead, typing this on my phat G5 Quad. I just think the new campaign is all a bit childish - and I guess I worry that the more apple yells about the fact there are no viruses on OSX (so far), the more likely it is that some idiotic l33t bastich takes it on as a personal challenge and goes ahead and creates something nasty to infect the naive mac brethren.

kief
05-02-2006, 10:54 AM
Yeah, I laughed, but dsol has a valid point.

tmon
05-02-2006, 11:25 AM
That dweebish guy has a stint on the Daily Show. He's funny...

dsol
05-02-2006, 01:12 PM
With this kind of narcissistic campaign, I really hope that we're not heading to a case of "pride before a fall" :(

I took particular umbrage at the "freezing" ad - the OSX finder is bloomin' awful for freezing up - usually when working over a network. If you connect to another mac or PC and then that machine is shut down, put in hibernation or just plain crashes - the mac connected to it will freeze as it tries to locate the missing network host. I've had to wait minutes sometimes as the beachball spins its dance of death. God - I hope Leopard brings a complete rewrite of the Finder. It really is the suckiest aspect of OSX.

gatz
05-02-2006, 01:20 PM
They are smug. But they are probably the best toe-to-toe system comparison ads Apple could dish out. They communicate technical concepts with a joke instead of propeller-head details. Who knows if they will work, I've given up being able to predict how the American public will respond to anything.

On a tangental note: The the CDW ads with the smug IT guy really drives me nuts. After about the third time he pulled the swami routine, I'd fire his a** and call CDW myself... and then give him a crappy reference when I found out how much he was overpaying.;)

rg

Lightwolf
05-02-2006, 01:45 PM
Well, they surely proove one thing... neither PC nor Mac users know how to dress ;)
Talk about lack of style on both accounts...

Cheers,
Mike

kief
05-02-2006, 03:08 PM
From a mac user's perspective, they may cause you to laugh. But think if you only use a PC, meh, not too stimulating.

pauland
05-02-2006, 07:28 PM
From a mac user's perspective, they may cause you to laugh. But think if you only use a PC, meh, not too stimulating.

Not at all - I don't have a mac, but I liked the ads and laughed out lod in some parts. I just don't take them too seriously.

Paul

kief
05-02-2006, 07:35 PM
Then you prove my point, at least from one perspective: "I just don't take them too seriously."
Whether funny or not, I don't see these having much influence for Apple's marketing.

Kuzey
05-03-2006, 05:32 AM
I think they'll appeal most to those not computer savvy and those that want to get a computer but haven't yet.

Well, they surely proove one thing... neither PC nor Mac users know how to dress ;)
Talk about lack of style on both accounts...

Cheers,
Mike

What made it even funnier for me is the people resembled their real world counter parts, Steve and Bill :hey:

Kuzey

pauland
05-03-2006, 07:11 AM
Then you prove my point, at least from one perspective: "I just don't take them too seriously."
Whether funny or not, I don't see these having much influence for Apple's marketing.

Well, I don't think they prove your point at all. They leave me favourably disposed towards apple and they do appeal to me because I like quirky. I'm not a fan of Microsoft but I like the underdog and I drool when near a Mac.
Circumstances are right now that I'm not buying any PCs - let alone Macs, but I aspire to having a Mac one day. I think that as well as appealing to some non-mac owners, I think it'd make me feel real good if I already had a Mac - make me want to 'keep the faith' as it were.

I'm sure that the quirkiness brings people to the Apple site, which is what apple wants.

I can't even think of a computer-related advert that hasn't been produced by apple that would attract me to a site.

Finally, I think that Newtek could do with a few quality quirky Ads of this type because I have cringed at some of the stuff they pump out on Newtek TV - rather like watching the local second-hand car dealer at work on local TV - very downmarket. Whatever you say about apple, it produces upmarket ads that capture the attention and get people talking (just like we are now).

If you don't like what Apple are doing with these ads, what would you do in their place?

Paul

DiscreetFX
05-03-2006, 07:19 AM
Very funny Ads

:)

@ dsol

How do you like your G5 Quad? What apps does it help speedup for you?

apguest
05-05-2006, 03:23 AM
Funny Ad campaign... But the Apple option still has problems...like they need faster OpenGL, and need more pro apps like XSI on the platform.

(billpana) - I have been using a Quad for some time and it was about 2 times faster at rendering than the 2.7Gig on Big scenes. It had 6GIG Ram.
Noticed not much speed increases on the Screen Speed...Maybe a LW Prob.

Bring on the new Intel Desktops...8cpu please (o:

dsol
05-08-2006, 11:14 AM
How do you like your G5 Quad? What apps does it help speedup for you?

It's the daddy. I upgraded from a dual 2.5Ghz G5 - no slouch itself - and it's roughly 50% faster in the majority of apps I use daily (after effects, FCP studio and lightwave). In lightwave it's nearly 100% faster - LW multithreads pretty well AFAIK - when it's rendering you get full 400% CPU utilisation in activity monitor (after effects comps usually use 200-300% - I don't use nucleo though). There's probably some benefit from the fact I put 4GB of ram in the new quad as well (I had 2.5GB in the old G5).

I live in a world of crazy deadlines, so every % increase in rendering grunt is vital. I'm considering getting a second one before Apple (prematurely) kills it off with its Intel ProMac desktop line.

must... resist... urge... to rant about Apple stuffing their pro customers by switching to Intel :) If apple wasn't such a control freak company they might have considered asking nicely for an mac intel port of code warrior, and then by now we'd probably have native intel versions of all pro apps - from Adobe, Newtek, macromedia et al

Johnny
05-08-2006, 12:07 PM
I can see the "unbearably smug" perspective, but you have to admit, after the Apple, Macs and Mac users being on the dirty end of things for 20 years, and with Mac users regarded somewhere between trekkies and mumbling street people, it wouldn't exactly kill the PC world to take a little ribbing now and then.

After all, they are the market leaders, with oceans of money more than the Mac world has...what's the harm if there's a commercial that pokes fun at the Mac/PC dichotomy?

How can the #1 leader possibly be threatened by this commercial from the 2% market share holder?

huh?

So, I'd say to PC people, get over yourselves, have a laugh, and get back to work or gaming using your more dominant system.

J

Chuck
05-08-2006, 02:35 PM
I kinda like 'em. They don't really seem smug to me, although a couple of the points might be debateable (never had a problem hooking up cameras or camcorders to PCs, for example).

AAAAnnnndddd! Now we know what "Brandon" is doing these days...wonder if he's still got his interstellar vox? :jester:

Kuzey
05-10-2006, 02:17 AM
Chuck, this kinda thing could work for Newtek as well, if you guys are ever thinking of making a tv add :D

Take for example:

Take three expert modellers in LW, Maya and let's say Max. Have them sit next to each other and see who can build the same character in the fastest time. Soon the other two people give up and just watch LW in action.

Because...Jonny Gorden would be on the LW machine and I'm sure he could beat any Maya/Max user out there :thumbsup:

Kuzey