PDA

View Full Version : Bewitched Bothered and Bedongled

Trankonia
04-30-2006, 01:36 PM
What is more frustrating than a dongle that has gone walking? Recently on a trip, I took my laptop so I could keep experimenting with LightWave. Having either my dongle lost or stolen has stopped me in my tracks.

I absolutely hate software protection schemes based on dongles for this very reason. Now I have to pay lots of money to have it replaced. I contacted Newtek, got the form and as yet, over a week ago have had no response from them.

I have left messages, and emails to no avail. What gives? I even had my dad try to contact them. This is more than frustrating!

Sorry, I just had to vent!

Trankonia

Sarford
05-01-2006, 07:09 AM
I feel your pain man. I travel a lot with my dongle too and I'm always afraid to loose it.
Some say NewTek has to switch to other software protection.... To some level I agree but the dongle gives us also a lot of freedom. With a dongle we can install Lightwave on as many computers as we want, both mac and pc at the same time, thus letting us decide on wich computer we wanna work with it. Or like I do sometimes, model and animate on the mac and render on the pc so I can continue with other work on the mac.

Without a dongle we could only install it on one maybe two machines (like adobe and macromedia software), cripling the flexability of working.

I do prefer the dongle above an one-machine licence anytime... ecxept after loosing my dongle several times in a row =D

mattclary
05-01-2006, 11:15 AM
Oooooorrrrrr, you could take better care of your dongle. I bet you know where your car keys are at right now, don't you?

FYI, you know a lot of newer cars have ID chips in the keys? It costs a big chunk of change to get duplicates made.

vincent1
05-03-2006, 09:45 AM
I kind of like what modo (at least I think it's modo) does, license is sold with you. That is, when you go to grandma's for a day, you can download from the website and model away.

A lot of people don't realise, when you buy software there are three things you should know:

1) The license is sold to your name or your company's name and then it becomes non transferable, i.e if you die, the license to use dies with you; or if the company closes, same scenario.

2) Based on the above, you cannot resell your software license or even give it away.

3) The license is tied to a machine if using software locks.

Told you you should always read the fine print.:D

I know cause I own 3dsMax and it is guilty of all the above.

llongino
05-03-2006, 02:39 PM
Oooooorrrrrr, you could take better care of your dongle. I bet you know where your car keys are at right now, don't you?

FYI, you know a lot of newer cars have ID chips in the keys? It costs a big chunk of change to get duplicates made.

Come on Matt, cut him some slack. People lose their car keys sometimes too, you know.... Life just happens sometimes, no matter how hard we try to take care of things....

I think part of his point is the frustration of being in limbo, with no dongle, thus unable to use LW, and without any response from Newtek for too long a time. I've been there in the past too and it's frustrating.

DS613
05-03-2006, 08:23 PM
I couldnt agree with you more.. and as I have tried in the past I can not begin to articulate how much I hate the dongle.!!!!