PDA

View Full Version : Sdi - Hd

blueisland
04-30-2006, 12:27 PM
Does anyone know if one could view HD (with SpeedEdit/VT5) using newteks existing SDI card? As I have one it would be good news.

mbloor
04-30-2006, 04:33 PM
Does anyone know if one could view HD (with SpeedEdit/VT5) using newteks existing SDI card? As I have one it would be good news.
As far as I know you should be able to view it but it wont be HD-SDI, the current SDI chipset wont support HD-SDI but you should get a Standard definition SDI out.
SDI is SD
HD-SDI is HD
Mark

pnelson
05-02-2006, 02:58 PM
To give an official response... :)

The VT[x] hardware is standard-def.. With the addition of SpeedEDIT, you will have the ability to edit HD content but to integrate it into a live production, you will need to convert that edited project to standard-def.

Jim Capillo
05-02-2006, 03:31 PM
The VT[x] hardware is standard-def.. With the addition of SpeedEDIT, you will have the ability to edit HD content but to integrate it into a live production, you will need to convert that edited project to standard-def.

I guess I'm missing something basic here.... If the hardware is SD and you bring in a HD clip to mix with other SD stuff, wouldn't it simply play back with the black bars on top/bottom of the HD clip? SD is SD is SD..... you either have the bars or cut off the left and right of the HD clip, right ? (To fit the NTSC raster)

What would you need to convert? And to what ?

SD playback seems to be the limiting factor here.

pnelson
05-02-2006, 03:43 PM
Jim,

In standard NewTek style, we always try to under promise and over deliver.. :)

The main point I wanted to clear up is that the VT[x] hardware is standard def.

So.... Here is an interesting scenario... I edit an HD project in SpeedEDIT... Save it as an HD clip...

Load that HD Clip into a VT[5] DDR... What happens?

VT[5] will play back the clip as SD and output via VT-Card as Standard Def..

Actually a pretty cool bonus. :)

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

mbloor
05-02-2006, 03:53 PM
Hi Jim speed edit would allow scaling to standard def (same as if you currently drop a high res still on the TL)
I assume that if you decide to render the mixed formats HD and SD it will either upscale the standard res to HD or if going to SD it will down scale the HD material to SD. If you want to include the edit in say a DDR for a live switch then I assume you need to render to an SD project. Of course currently you can drop a VT edit list into a DDR and within reason it will play, my guess is that if you were to do this with a mixed format VT edit project the CPU overhead may be too much.
The horizontal black lines at the top and bottom would only be present from either 16:9 played out in 4:3 frame or black vertical lines at the side of frame if playing out 4:3 material in a 16:9 frame. The foregoing assumes no panning and scanning.
On this side of the pond SD16:9 is common place, so we have got used to 16:9 in a 4:3 frame and vice versa.
Mark
Looks like Phillip beat me to it

Jim Capillo
05-02-2006, 04:14 PM
So.... Here is an interesting scenario... I edit an HD project in SpeedEDIT... Save it as an HD clip...

Load that HD Clip into a VT[5] DDR... What happens?

VT[5] will play back the clip as SD and output via VT-Card as Standard Def..

Actually a pretty cool bonus. :)

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

OK, just one more ;)

Playing back that HD clip in SD, does it give me the black bars top/bottom or crop right/left...... OR is it my choice ?

Thanks Phillip and Mark !

mbloor
05-02-2006, 05:31 PM
Jim
If you assume all SD is 4:3 and HD is 16:9, then HD output as SD would normally be letterboxed . If its SD output as HD then it should be black side panels. however 16:9 SD maybe problematic because AFAIK RTV`s dont know if they are 16:9 anamorphic or 4:3, so I am guessing some options will be required.
Also I may modify my comment about the DDR`s and VT edit projects, I have thought of something....e-mail you off forum.
Mark

John Perkins
05-02-2006, 05:54 PM
Normally VT and SpeedEDIT can guess the aspect correctly, but for the cases that have no aspect ratio information to guess from, all clips now have a clear aspect ratio option.

You shouldn't have to play with source and dest aspect anymore.

mbloor
05-03-2006, 04:11 AM
Very neat:thumbsup:
Mark

Jim Capillo
05-03-2006, 05:39 AM
...... all clips now have a clear aspect ratio option.

Very cool !