PDA

View Full Version : Help Requested. OpenGL crashes and jerkiness.

Steve Reeves
04-30-2006, 10:27 AM
Hi all, I wonder if somebody can help me with what is becoming a very annoying problem.

Basically I am getting crashes with layout v8.5 on PC - it is something to do with the OpenGL I believe.

Basically in layout the OpenGl is jerky in that it moves OK for a few seconds then freezes and then redisplays the layout. You can use layout like this (annoying as it is) but within 2 or 3 minutes layout crashes completely - please see the image attached that shows the error message.

My machine is:
AMD Dual Core 4800+ on a Asus SLI Premium mobo (A8N-SLI)
GeForce 7800GTX (just the one!) running Forceware 84.21
2Gb RAM
Win XP Pro 32-bit (fully patched etc)

If I go back to 78.01 Forceware drivers then things seem OK - but I really would rather not now as the later drivers are obviously designed for performance and comaptibility with the latest applications.

If anybody has any suggestions how I might overcome this I would be very grateful - and don't say by an ATI card!! :)

Otherwise I will need to head back to the old drivers :(

Many thanks.
Steve

Steve Reeves
05-08-2006, 10:22 AM
Sorry all, I guess I should I have posted this in the PC Support forum rather than here.

ChrisPitts
05-10-2006, 01:24 PM
It's not uncommon for a particular video card driver release to break something in OpenGL, although nVidia is usually pretty good about not doing that. However, if installing a newer driver slows the system down that considerably, the older driver may be a better choice until nVidia hands out a new one.

Dodgy
05-10-2006, 01:46 PM
I'm using 8.1.9.8 and that seems fairly stable. If you manage to get hold of that one and you're still having problems, it could be memory...

ChrisPitts
05-10-2006, 01:50 PM
I'm using 8.1.9.8 and that seems fairly stable. If you manage to get hold of that one and you're still having problems, it could be memory...

Quoted for truth.

mattclary
05-10-2006, 02:21 PM
GeForce 7800GTX (just the one!) running Forceware 84.21

If I go back to 78.01 Forceware drivers then things seem OK - but I really would rather not now as the later drivers are obviously designed for performance and comaptibility with the latest applications.

You just answered your own question. I would contact NewTek support and see if they can confirm the issue. If they can verify, they can open a case with nVidia.

Steve Reeves
05-11-2006, 02:14 AM
Thanks for everyones replies.

I have already filled in the support request on the Newtek website (about 5 days ago) and so I am waiting for them at present.

There is abother thread in the PC Support Forum with posts about this issue also, for clarity and to reduce confusion and duplication I will follow up on there rather than here.

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?mode=hybrid&t=49494

Thanks again.