PDA

View Full Version : Daz is Selling Hexagon2 for $1.99

zapper1998
04-29-2006, 05:23 AM
FYI not at all lightwave but interesting.

Daz is selling the Hexagon2 modeling app as a electronic download item for $1.99 to their Platinum Club members.

They advertise 1 click UV unwrap and 3d paint included, curious to see how well they implement those features.

Not going to abandon LW, just want to check out other software and for that price you can't lose.

prospector
04-29-2006, 06:52 AM
yea, been posted on other threads

UnCommonGrafx
04-29-2006, 07:13 AM
yeah, but it seems to be misleading:
$1.99 + $30.00 membership + $7.00 a month =- $2.00

kennez
04-29-2006, 09:21 AM
yeah, but it seems to be misleading:
$1.99 + $30.00 membership + $7.00 a month =- $2.00

Bare in mind that the $7 per month is not required. That's just if you decide to remain in the Platinum Club. You DO NOT need to pay the $7 to get support and updates.

UnCommonGrafx
04-29-2006, 09:33 AM
Ok.
Still, not $1.99.

hunter
04-29-2006, 11:25 AM
All those features for 32 bucks. Count me in. Can't have too many tools. Something to play with while waiting for 9.

UnCommonGrafx
04-29-2006, 11:33 AM
Agreed. Chuckle, now that I've got the horse, spent the $24 I was to spend on Larry's quad tute.

But it ain't $1.99.

p.s. Gotta love broadband; here's to hoping they don't f'it up in the short-term. -> Check out some of the bills going through congress.

hunter
04-29-2006, 12:00 PM
But it ain't $1.99.
True enough. ;)
Installing now.

joeldberry
04-29-2006, 01:42 PM
Agreed. Chuckle, now that I've got the horse, spent the $24 I was to spend on Larry's quad tute.

But it ain't $1.99.

p.s. Gotta love broadband; here's to hoping they don't f'it up in the short-term. -> Check out some of the bills going through congress.

Yep, say hello to more taxes on broadband access, and preferential treatment for those who are willing to pay more for higher-speeds... Now, the rich can suck up the world's bandwidth, further isolating the middle and lower classes!!!

MrWyatt
04-29-2006, 02:32 PM
bought and installed it, but so far not having fun. UI freezing the whole time. panels not updating, weired stuff going on with the ui as soon as you start to customise things up to a point where hexagon doesn't react to anything but a forced close throu taskmanager.

will give it a shot later next week wenn I find the time, but as I said so far this is the most buggy piece of software I have ever purchased, the only thing that makes me happy is the fact that a few weeks ago I toyed with the idea to prepurchase it full price, but didn't have the cash to do it. I would be eating my shorts right now if I had. but 40 bucks for a piece of software that is crashing on me with a simple cube isn't that bad of a deal. well never mind. will see if I can get it to work a litle more stable next week. Hope they release a bugfix release soon, because with the "fun" I had with hexagon the last 2 days I think I know why the pricetag is so low.

prospector
04-29-2006, 02:37 PM
mine is running ok on Win2000. Will try on Win XP later.
I already belonged to Platinum club (free to join early last year), so for me it was 1.99

Silkrooster
04-29-2006, 05:08 PM
mine is running ok on Win2000. Will try on Win XP later.
I already belonged to Platinum club (free to join early last year), so for me it was 1.99
Yeah, I joined a few years back my self. I have been debating on having another modeler to learn. But for 1.99 is is hard to refuse.
You know what is really funny, take a look at one of my posts on the Daz forum, Who knew it was possible to join a forum back in the '60's.:D I couldn't even read yet. Much less go to kindergarden.:hey:
Silk

TomR
04-30-2006, 05:06 PM
How is it to exporte a object/texture from Hexagon2 to LW ?

Do you have to use .obj ?

UnCommonGrafx
04-30-2006, 05:29 PM
yes, that's how.

duke
04-30-2006, 07:05 PM
bought and installed it, but so far not having fun. UI freezing the whole time. panels not updating, weired stuff going on with the ui as soon as you start to customise things up to a point where hexagon doesn't react to anything but a forced close throu taskmanager.

will give it a shot later next week wenn I find the time, but as I said so far this is the most buggy piece of software I have ever purchased, the only thing that makes me happy is the fact that a few weeks ago I toyed with the idea to prepurchase it full price, but didn't have the cash to do it. I would be eating my shorts right now if I had. but 40 bucks for a piece of software that is crashing on me with a simple cube isn't that bad of a deal. well never mind. will see if I can get it to work a litle more stable next week. Hope they release a bugfix release soon, because with the "fun" I had with hexagon the last 2 days I think I know why the pricetag is so low.

Same impressions here - for $40 it's an excellent tool, and hopefully the fact that so many people have bought it because of the cheap price, they'll be under more pressure to release a patch/patches sooner rather than later :)

sirzero
05-01-2006, 09:01 AM
Just wondering if anyone here's tried to run Hexagon 2 on a PowerBook?
Wanting to find out if I can run it before I buy it.
The main reason I'm asking is that in the system req's Hex says a 128mb RAM video card is minimum, and the video card on my PowerBook is only 64mb.
Anyone who has tried it on a PowerBook or similar type video card?

cresshead
05-01-2006, 09:40 AM
i have it nstalled on my mac mini [g4 version with 32mb chip from ati]

works okay...not as responsive as my pc laptop [acer pci expressx700 128ram] but it works okay..:thumbsup:

sirzero
05-01-2006, 09:44 AM
Just the conformation I was hoping for :)
Thanx a lot!

cresshead
05-01-2006, 02:04 PM
go get it!

if you have probs with display speed...
i cut n pasted this from cgtalk forum...

As far as bugs are concerned. This is what I'd recommend trying. In Edit-preferences-3d display-advanced. Try adjust the various settings for the display. If you have VBO available and selected try dropping it to "lists". What video card are you using and having problems? And what are you doing in which you are having problems?

jin choung
05-01-2006, 11:33 PM
the pelt mapping is nice but the thing that really made me jump to throw my $32 at them is the DISPLACEMENT PAINTING!!!

like zbrush but can't handle quite as many polys without unforgivable slowdown (YET) but doesn't have the odiously strangely non-3d-app interface either!

(oh yeah, and not $400 either!!!)

for me, i'm looking at this (and eyeing silo) as a zbrush substitute.

jin

sirzero
05-02-2006, 01:19 AM
I did buy it cresshead :)
Haven't had much time to play with it yet, so will have to do some more extensive tests later. But I tried booting it up, made a couple of primitives and tried the different shading modes and panning,zooming,rotating the view etc. I couldn't see any display problems, so so far so good! I did see some menu's that didn't repaint properly, but I've got a feeling that could be a bug rather than my graphics card.
Looking forward to trying out the displacement painting as well!

wacom
05-02-2006, 09:25 AM
Downloading as we speak- if this even works half as good as the videos make it out to then it's worth it for sure. I wonder if you have to mantain a subscription to get updates though...

joeldberry
05-02-2006, 12:48 PM
Just wondering if anyone here's tried to run Hexagon 2 on a PowerBook?
Wanting to find out if I can run it before I buy it.
The main reason I'm asking is that in the system req's Hex says a 128mb RAM video card is minimum, and the video card on my PowerBook is only 64mb.
Anyone who has tried it on a PowerBook or similar type video card?

Works like a charm on my Powerbook (G4, 1.5GHz, 60GB, 2GB RAM, 64MB Ati Radeon 9700) except it's a little slower than Hex1, but I am sure that's because of the inevitable code-bloat that comes from adding features...

jin choung
05-02-2006, 03:10 PM
you do not have to maintain subscription to get software updates.... eovia guy said so himself....

yay....

jin

UnCommonGrafx
05-02-2006, 03:17 PM
Seems it's time to ask:
Would you guys&gals that have purchased H2 please join the yahoo group so that we (I) can have others to talk to that are going to go through the same pain? So far, just one of our brethren seems to be there.

I REALLY like the disp and painting opp. Now to figure out how to do this without killing the program with too much at once.

wacom
05-02-2006, 04:16 PM
I can't get anything but wireframe mode to work for display! I'm downloading some new drivers though for my lowly X300...

wacom
05-02-2006, 06:59 PM
Problem fixed with an update- I have to say that some parts of this program a very impressive- such as the universal mode.

wacom
05-03-2006, 10:14 AM
Having fun...still don't understand how to paint textures on correctly...but will learn...

Here are my first two attempts at this displacement EVER! It really is sooo intuitive. These were made from spheres...but I bet if you had a base mesh to begin with you'd save a lot of polygons, time, and have more precision. Still it's really cool. Some of the modeling tools are cool as well- very surprised by this program!

Can't wait to try these out with APS and nodal

MrWyatt
05-03-2006, 10:18 AM
really you must be lucky as what ever I try, hex keeps on giving me errors and crashes every minute

Dodgy
05-03-2006, 10:59 AM
Anyone managed to export a displacement map yet? I keep getting an error, then a looping error.

UnCommonGrafx
05-03-2006, 11:01 AM
Gotta make a uv map first.
After that, it'll work.

wacom
05-03-2006, 12:28 PM
I'd try updating your graphics driver first just to see if that helps- cleared up some of the issues for me...haven't exported yet though!

I'm running it on my Intel PC not my Mac BTW

cresshead
05-03-2006, 12:55 PM
hey wacom!
looks like my monster model is a distant relation to yours!
http://www.fotothing.com/photos/a8f/a8f3e57bd19cd1415d9fd7f4081ac93a_7bc.jpg

wacom
05-03-2006, 02:36 PM
hey wacom!
looks like my monster model is a distant relation to yours!
http://www.fotothing.com/photos/a8f/a8f3e57bd19cd1415d9fd7f4081ac93a_7bc.jpg

It's really hard not to use it for bumpy, lumpy, horned freaks! I guess I'll learn to settle down and find a use for it outside of that (though I already know of a ton in my head), but for now I'm having fun making what was once much more difficult. Have you exported to the beta yet? Guess I'm headed into NDA here...

UnCommonGrafx
05-10-2006, 07:02 PM
And so it was said:

All,

The Hexagon 2.01 updater is now available at the DAZ 3D website:
http://www.daz3d.com/support/downloads.php?product=hexagon

Best,
Bob Stockwell

riki
05-11-2006, 06:39 AM
The vids look cool, is it stable on the Mac? Downloading the demo version now.

randysolo
05-11-2006, 11:11 AM
... so when is LW version 9 coming out? I know, I'm probably the 900th person to ask that question. There are other programs dangling on the edge of a monumental upgrade.... What the heck is going on these days, is everyone on a membership drive or something? I've heard that hex is pretty unstable on the Mac. Does the 2.01 upgrade fix anything?

thanks,

solo

colkai
05-11-2006, 11:18 AM
... so when is LW version 9 coming out?
Soon, but not quite now, maybe not very soon, but soon.

What the heck is going on these days, is everyone on a membership drive or something?
Hmm, many are in other areas of the forum, if you catch my drift.

I've heard that hex is pretty unstable on the Mac. Does the 2.01 upgrade fix anything?
I've read some posts which suggest 2.01 in certain areas is actually more buggy than the initial release. Not just on MACs

Lord Snarebotto
05-11-2006, 05:47 PM
Well, DAZ is now discounting Carrara5 deeply as well, although not for $39.95, like I had hoped.

Still, you can get Carrara5 Pro for a touch over $300. Why do these things always come at the same time? :stumped:

It's the ole "give them outrageous discounts they cannot refuse, and they will give us money they don't really want to spend". Grrrrr.

Meanwhile, to stay On Topic, I'm finding Hexagon to be rather unusable. It seems to be 'thinking' most of the time...