PDA

View Full Version : UV maps help ?

andy gee
04-28-2006, 01:08 PM
Hi everybody

i have a question regarding UV maps

i am about to texture one of my character models, and i have to produce a colour, bump and reflection map for him

but my dilema is that how can i texture the face with these maps and then separetly texture the body and have all my textures from each map line up.

Ok let me explain, say i have a unwraped Uv of my characters face i add colour, noise etc to produce the colour map, how can i keep the size of all my filters in photoshop at the same scale for each map ie colour for face and body, so that they seamlessly blend

if anybody can help then that would be great

Cheers

Andy Gee

IZZE
05-01-2006, 05:23 PM
Well, I know that for all the human models that I have done. I have never needed a file bigger than [email protected] and all my UVs on the same map.

erikals
05-01-2006, 05:25 PM
Think I got what u meant now. If I did, u can't :)
From what I know you cannot achive that unless u use someting like Zbrush or something simillar. Maybe this $40 prog could help, not sure. http://www.terabit.nildram.co.uk/tattoo/index.htm

Alternatively you could make the blends not visible by only using a plain color, but usually it wouldn't look to good. Making the whole body 1 big UV map could help.

Or maybe u could paint the UV maps roughly fist, so it almost matches, then use this $40 prog (above) to clean up the seams.

(edit, ah, answered already)

toonafish
05-02-2006, 04:12 PM
I just cooked this up so I don't know if it works but you could try creating seperate UV maps for each part with an overlap and use weightmaps to blend teh seams.

So if you create a UV map for the head, also include one row of polygons from the neck, and include the same row for the neck UV map. ( its best to include all the polygons in the UVmap to prevent weird seams. Just move them outside the 0-1 UV space and set the texture tile to "reset")
Then create a weightmap for the head ( let's call it the "head" weightmap ) and give all the vertices that should be included in the head texture a value of 100 %. Do the same for the neck.

Now you can create a gradient with a weightmap as input for an alpha layer in the surface editor on top of each texture layer.

erikals
05-02-2006, 06:39 PM
Actually, this method could help,
http://www.spinquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10405&page=10&pp=15
(page 8-9-10)