PDA

View Full Version : PS2 clustering..

Ade
05-25-2003, 09:27 PM
http://arrakis.ncsa.uiuc.edu/ps2/ps2_cluster_pic_02.jpg

potentially cheap? (http://arrakis.ncsa.uiuc.edu/ps2/index.php)

Beamtracer
05-25-2003, 10:04 PM
I like the idea of setting up a cluster that is subsidised by the manufacturer. All of the game box manufacturers sell their machines at a loss. They make their money by charging a lot for the games, and getting a big commission. (Same goes for printers and cartriges).

I miss the days of the Commodore64 computer, where you could buy a computer for a couple of hundred dollars or so. You could even go online with it, in the days when very few new what the internet was. There's nothing that really matches that in price today.

Ade
05-25-2003, 10:27 PM
Same...C64 with last ninja = win.

Anyway I was thinking, why doesnt apple release OSX to Nintendo as a kit for them to create online experience and as a mini OS. Imagine Gamecubes being they are PPC farmed with your mac. GC are cheaper, smaller, and not as loud.
Man Nintendo would really be making heaps of money.
Im going to email apple and nintendo this hehe..

I wonder if Linux render Lightwave app will work with these ps2 linux kits?

Beamtracer
05-25-2003, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by Ade
I wonder if Linux render Lightwave app will work with these ps2 linux kits?
There are various flavors of Linux. I'm not an expert here, but I think some have different byte orders ("little endian" or "big endian").

I also wondered whether the Linux renderer would run on the soon-to-be-released IBM desktop computers that run IBM's 64-bit 970 processor. These are Linux boxes, but the different byte order (of PPC to X86) may affect whether the LW Linux renderer would work. Then again, maybe it doesn't.

Originally posted by Ade
why doesnt apple release OSX to Nintendo as a kit
I think it would only be worth Apple giving OS X to Nintendo if Apple bought Nintendo.

Unfortunately, Nintendo, once the unsurpassed name in gaming, is now struggling.

Also unfortunate is the fact that some people would prefer to give more power to the monopolith Microsoft by buying Microsoft X-boxes rather than alternatives.

Which reminds me... why doesn't the Microsoft brand name get printed on the front of x-boxes? I can't think of any other box of electronics that doesn't get the brand name printed on it!

Microsoft already controls the software. X-box will enable M$ to also control the hardware. Scary world.

Ade
05-26-2003, 01:04 AM
They want to be cult staus and underground..
Cool means not having a mass organisation name on it.

I think Linux can be compiled to run any app.

Red_Oddity
05-26-2003, 04:28 AM
The reason people buy X-Boxes, Beamtracer, is because it is a cheap yet extremely powerfull console...Just get your head out of your arse and drop your MS hate for one friggin' day and just look at facts for once....Sjezus man...

Ade
05-26-2003, 05:18 AM
Red you missed his point...
BTW BEam funny thing was my favourite console dreamcast used to have "powered by microsoft" in the front..

eblu
05-26-2003, 08:55 AM
just a little correction about an urban myth...
ps2 s arent sold at a loss, neither are Game cubes. The only current system sold at a loss is the xBox, which i Personally think has a lot to work on before it can catch up with the others.

Red_Oddity
05-26-2003, 10:23 AM
Nah, the console is ok, the current games available for the XBox however are a whole different ball game...
They really need to do something about their poor line up of games, so far the games that are really worth buying the XBox for can be counted on one hand (though some of those games are reason enough to buy that console, unless you have a powerfull PC and can wait for those games to be released for it...)

*edit*

Come to think of it, the games that are good enough to buy a PS2 for can be counted on one hand aswell (unless you like to replay the same PS1 games with higher res textures and more polys)

Come tho think of is, i should have said (in my previous post) that the ONLY reason people buy an XBox right now is because it IS an extremely powerfull console, and they hope that they'll have plenty of good games soon.

Red_Oddity
05-26-2003, 10:33 AM
On another note:

Why the hell would people want to cluster PS2s anyway, those things have less memory than the average pocketPC/organiser.

The websites are not very clear on this either, exept that they're figuring out IF they can use them for scientific use, they don't claim to have done anything worthwhile with it so far, or do i miss some link (damn those people who make scientific sites, they go beyond anything that interaction design stands for)

aloysius1001
05-26-2003, 07:59 PM
How much RAM do the current consoles have respectively? I never really thought about it, but an XBox render farm sounds interesting. I thought I heard you could load Linux on to the XBox, but I could be mistaken.

DaveW
05-27-2003, 12:50 AM
An Xbox renderfarm would be a complete waste of money. If you're really looking for cheap renderfarm computers, Microtel pc's can be had for as little as $200 if you get them with Linux; you can even go online with 'em Beam, just like your C64 :). And they're much faster than the Xbox. As for console RAM, I think it's something like this: Xbox=64MB, Gamecube=40MB, PS2=32MB.

And though Nintendo may be the loser this generation in terms of console units sold, they're hardly struggling. They're making boatloads of cash and have billions in the bank. It's a shame the Gamecube isn't doing as well as they'd hoped, it has some really good games on it.

Red_Oddity
05-27-2003, 03:12 AM
It's a shame there's always some console that bites the dust.
Not only the company that makes those suffers, but so do the consumers who spend a lot of money on them...Games don't get released anymore, technical support is non existend, etc (just look at Sega's Dreamcast, great console, but somehow it got killed of.)