PDA

View Full Version : Severe Layout slowdown

jasonazure
04-28-2006, 02:29 AM
I'm currently working on a massive assembly of a diesel engine. All translated through polytrans. The problem is that when I put the whole thing together in Layout (8.5) I can spin the view around in Perspective mode as smooth as anything (with some bounding boxes of course), but when I try to move/rotate anything keyframeable e.g. camera or engine component, everything gets very jerky and extremely hard to work with !

The scene currently has 500 individual objects totalling over a million polygons and 150 megs !

My PC is a dual Xeon (3.0 gig) with 4 gigs of ram and a Nvidia Quadro graphics card

Any Ideas ?

Wonderpup
04-28-2006, 02:43 AM
I remember reading that on the Battlestar galactica production they had sections of the larger ships so they could load only parts at a time, rather than the whole thing, to speed up layout- do you need all of your model on screen all the time?

Another workaround might be using object replace and create stand in objects for set up untill render time.

jasonazure
04-28-2006, 05:17 AM
I have to animate the whole engine assembling down to the last nut and bolt, so yes I do have to have the bulk of the components loaded at one time.

I have spent so long converting and cleaning up all the engine parts I just don't have time to create a load of stand in objects unfortunately !

jasonazure
04-29-2006, 03:18 AM
Anyone ? ....... No ? ......... DUST !

RedBull
04-29-2006, 02:48 PM
The only thing is can suggest it to turn all OGL textures down or off, and use wireframe viewports.

OGL texturing, OGL Multitexturing, and GLSL shaders will all slow LW's OGL
down quite badly....

If you don't have an actual need for them, it will speed up OGL viewports.
Turn of all mipmapping as well..

You could turn up the bounding box threshold. And change dynamic update.

toby
04-29-2006, 10:02 PM
He means turn down the bounding box threshold. If you set it to 1000 for example, LW will switch everything to bounding box until it's displaying fewer than 1000 polygons (points?) while you rotate the view around. Try 50,000.

Creating stand-in objects doesn't take that long if you just do it with your heaviest objects, just apply QEM-Loss in Modeler.

jasonazure
04-30-2006, 02:50 AM
I'm afraid I've already tried all the OGL and update switches every way I can think of !

As I mentioned in my original post, I can view the models quite happily in perspective mode. I can rotate. pan and zoom as smooth as anything !

The problem occurs when attempting to move anything that is keyframeable, including the camera.

Personally I feel that this is a form of bug. Unfortunately due to work pressures I haven't been able to try the scene in any of the v9 betas, so I don't know if it will be any better in the next version of Lightwave !!

toby
05-01-2006, 12:02 AM
I think I see what you mean, when you drag an object it takes forever to move/update? Strange that a low bounding box setting doesn't help that, when I try it, the object I'm moving will switch to bounding box and spin like the dickens, as fast as I can move the mouse. Last year I worked on a project with almost 4 million polys, and it worked fine with a low bounding box setting.

Is there anything else going on in your scene? Motion plugins or anything?

toonafish
05-01-2006, 12:36 AM
did you try disabling "show motion paths" in the display options panel ?

kruemel_1
05-01-2006, 01:11 AM
I saw this behavior with follower(motion options) and dependend expressions (object B depends on A, C on B, D on C -> endless updates).