PDA

View Full Version : Poor Man's 3D Paint (Windows)

ColinCohen
04-27-2006, 11:08 AM
Not so much a 3d painting system as an aid in painting 3d objects.

It requires Windows, Photoshop, dual monitors, and the attached plugin, AutoView.

1. Install the plugin -- it's a Layout generic.

2. Load your model in Layout (not Modeler) and make certain OpenGL textures are on.

3. Activate AutoView and select the image you'll be editing.

4. On your other monitor, open Photoshop, load your image, and start editing. As you save, changes will be automatically updated in Layout without any user interaction.

I've set a button on my pen to Ctl-S for quick saving. There is also a shareware program that allows you to automatically save your images, as fast as every second. And I may also write a Windows service that automatically saves images once you take your pen off your tablet.

It doesn't work in Gimp (due to how Gimp saves files), but it may work in other graphic programs.

I've only tested it in 8.2.

Feel free to post bugs. Please save your work before trying. So far, the only thing I've noticed is an intermittant synchronization issue. Until I fix this, reloading the scene should resolve this.

Signal to Noise
04-27-2006, 11:19 AM
Hmm..let's see...in order to do this one requires:

1. A computer (of course)
2. Dual monitors
3. LightWave, and
4. Photoshop

I wouldn't exactly call this a "poor man's" 3D paint.:hey:

Pretty nice plug-in, tho'! :thumbsup:

nemac4
04-27-2006, 11:33 AM
Nice idea. Thanks!

Greenlaw
04-27-2006, 12:43 PM
As usual, another great idea from Colin Cohen!

I haven't been able to get Autoview to work yet but that's probably because I'm using a single monitor setup. Just wondering: why does it require two monitors, and will it be possible to make this work with one monitor? BTW, I'm running Autoview with LW 8.5. I have an Nvidia Quadro in this machine, but not sure how old it is. Also, I'm using creaky old Photoshop 5.5, not CS2. (Don't ask; I just am.)

We're always anticipating your next plug-in creation with excitement. FastCloth and NLM have definitely gotten a lot of use here. Keep up the great work Colin!

Best regards,

DRG

ColinCohen
04-27-2006, 01:16 PM
As usual, another great idea from Colin Cohen!

I haven't been able to get Autoview to work yet but that's probably because I'm using a single monitor setup. Just wondering: why does it require two monitors, and will it be possible to make this work with one monitor? BTW, I'm running Autoview with LW 8.5. I have an Nvidia Quadro in this machine, but not sure how old it is. Also, I'm using creaky old Photoshop 5.5, not CS2. (Don't ask; I just am.)

We're always anticipating your next plug-in creation with excitement. FastCloth and NLM have definitely gotten a lot of use here. Keep up the great work Colin!

Best regards,

DRG

DRG,

What exactly isn't working? Did you select the image before you started editing? The version of Photoshop shouldn't matter -- I'm using PS Elements. It just needs a graphics program that saves the image at once -- unlike Gimp, which seems to progressively save.

Dual monitors, I guess, is more of a strong recommendation. It's just so you can see the image you're editing and Layout at the same time.

I appreciate all the kind words I've received from you guys at R&H. Feel free to PM if you continue to have problems. There may indeed be kinks to work out.

Signal to Noise
04-27-2006, 01:31 PM
...FastCloth and NLM have definitely gotten a lot of use here. Keep up the great work Colin!

Best regards,

DRG

Where can one get FastCloth & NLM (Non-Linear Morph?)? Are these yours, Colin?

Btw, "kudos" to R&H and everyone involved there. I'm huge fan of your work.

Wolvy_UK
04-27-2006, 01:55 PM
Here' s a 3D painting program similar to Bodypaint or Deeppaint. It' s free to use non commercially, and only costs 25 to buy a license.

http://www.terabit.nildram.co.uk/tattoo/

Greenlaw
04-27-2006, 02:00 PM
Hi Colin,

I hope I'm using it correctly. Here's my workflow:

I open a textured object in Layout and then I invoke Autoview. Next I select the image I want to edit, and then I open the image in Photoshop and start painting. Finally, I save the image in PS, and watch the object in Layout to see if it updates--unfortunately it does not.

Does it matter that I'm using a UV map on this surface?

ColinCohen
04-27-2006, 03:06 PM
Hi Colin,

I hope I'm using it correctly. Here's my workflow:

I open a textured object in Layout and then I invoke Autoview. Next I select the image I want to edit, and then I open the image in Photoshop and start painting. Finally, I save the image in PS, and watch the object in Layout to see if it updates--unfortunately it does not.

Does it matter that I'm using a UV map on this surface?

It seems as if you're doing everything right. I wrote it specifically for UV maps.

I'm going to fine-tune the algorithm to fix the synch issues and post an update. Perhaps this will resolve your issues.

RedBull
04-27-2006, 06:13 PM
Wow what a great idea!
Thanks for another great tool Colin...

Unfortunately it's not working for me either...
Lightwave 8.5 on XP64 or XP32...
Dual and single AMD's...

Maybe LW8.21+ changed or broke something.... 8.5 added GLSL OGL shaders.
The other thing i should mention, is i'm using single large monitor.
and minimizing... So i hope it doesn't require a 2nd monitor...

I tried Photoshop CS2 and MS Paint, and i can't see any update......
Why must you mock me god!!! :)

Having said that, if issues are fixed i will buy another monitor and videocard,
just to use this.... The only downside i see, is having to save every so often.....If there was a way to progressively save or update as you painted...
It would simply be more useful to me than Bodypaint3D..

Despite my disappointment, with it not working.....
Keep up the great work, as this could so make my workflow sooo much better.

Greenlaw
04-27-2006, 06:16 PM
I was wondering if it was a graphics card issue so I just now tried it on my laptop which has an ATI card--not working there either.

Looking forward to using it though. If you need more specific info, let me know.

DRG

ColinCohen
04-27-2006, 06:23 PM
I'm working on the issues. I may have resolved them, but I want to do some more testing before posting the new version. I also now got it working with Gimp.

It's difficult when it works for me and not others. There are a lot of variables (software versions, networks, computer speeds, etc.), but with some patience the issues will be resolved. :)

Thanks for testing!

RedBull
04-27-2006, 09:13 PM
I'm working on the issues. I may have resolved them, but I want to do some more testing before posting the new version. I also now got it working with Gimp.

It's difficult when it works for me and not others. There are a lot of variables (software versions, networks, computer speeds, etc.), but with some patience the issues will be resolved. :)

Thanks for testing!

Thanks again Colin, If you need anyone to test let me know...
Awaiting new version with baited breathe.
And thanks for the quick attention and efforts to help with the problems.

Also, now that it works with Gimp, does it work any more effectively with it?
I'm just wondering if because of the way Gimp works, it may update interactively?
Realtime 3D Paint directly in Layout viewports, makes me giggle like a school girl...

SNR: Colins other plugins can be found here.
http://cohen-plugs.tripod.com/outdated.htm#cloth

PS: People who don't want to own Photoshop, or don't like Gimp or PSP.
There is a free basic MS Paint replacement.

http://www.eecs.wsu.edu/paint.net/

ColinCohen
04-28-2006, 11:09 AM
Here's the latest version, which hopefully solves the problems of the first release. Please let me know if you have further problems.

I just realized this morning that there may be confusion about how to use it, entirely my fault. After selecting the image, you should only hit "Continue" after you are done editing. Only when the panel is displayed, with an image selected will the plugin work.

Signal to Noise
04-28-2006, 11:49 AM
SNR: Colins other plugins can be found here.
http://cohen-plugs.tripod.com/outdated.htm#cloth...

Thanks but the download links on Colin's site seem to be hosted by Tripod (yuck!) and there's a message saying the downloads aren't available. That goes for all of the plugs.

Colin, if you're reading this is there anyway you can post them? I'd love to try them all out.

Thanks in advance.

Greenlaw
04-28-2006, 05:35 PM
Hi Colin,

Okay, this is pretty awesome. Just tried the update and it seems to work perfectly, even across a network.

And, yes, hitting the 'Continue' button solved my problem. Leaving the name alone is probably fine--I just needed that extra clarification.

DRG

Lottmedia
04-28-2006, 06:05 PM
Hmm..let's see...in order to do this one requires:

1. A computer (of course)
2. Dual monitors
3. LightWave, and
4. Photoshop

I wouldn't exactly call this a "poor man's" 3D paint.:hey:

Pretty nice plug-in, tho'! :thumbsup:

:D Just by virtue of us being here you can assume we have at least #1 and most probably #3, you can almost extrapolate #4 because, well, it's Photoshop for heaven's sake, who dosen't have it? :) As for #2, the only reason someone wouldn't have 2 monitors (or 3) is that they haven't tried it yet. Not sure how anyone doing graphics can live without 2 monitors

Still trying to to get the plugin to work but I think it's mor emy fault that the plug-ins (I always work under this principal, it has served me well) Seems a great idea though, want to get it to work. Anyone gotten it tow work in 9? (no spoilers or the NDR police will gitcha!)

Casey :cat:

ColinCohen
04-28-2006, 06:32 PM
Still trying to to get the plugin to work but I think it's mor emy fault that the plug-ins (I always work under this principal, it has served me well) Seems a great idea though, want to get it to work. Anyone gotten it tow work in 9? (no spoilers or the NDR police will gitcha!)

Make sure you read the instructions I added at the bottom of the first page. If you explain what you are doing step-by-step (in exacting detail), I may be able to figure it out. I can't help you with v9, though.

It should now work with just about every graphics package, including free ones. And like I said, dual monitors are really only recommendation. The only things you absolutely need are LW and Windows.

Lottmedia
04-28-2006, 07:00 PM
followed the instructions but nothing yet. I assume this has something to do with the reload command in the image editor? I can use that to update the image but the plugin dosen't seeem to be doing anything

Greenlaw
04-28-2006, 07:16 PM
Whoops! I meant NOT hitting the Continue button, of course.

DRG

ColinCohen
04-28-2006, 09:19 PM
followed the instructions but nothing yet. I assume this has something to do with the reload command in the image editor? I can use that to update the image but the plugin dosen't seeem to be doing anything

Like I said, if you write step-by-step what you're doing I can probably help you.

RedBull
04-29-2006, 02:23 AM
Working fine here with the latest version..

Thanks again for the great plugin..
I hope in the future you find a way to make it update with the pen of the tablet feature you mentioned previously, as that would be truly excellent.

Note: Works great with Fprime, i'm using a large Fprime viewport, instead of OGL.

Cheers,

ColinCohen
04-29-2006, 08:07 AM
Note: Works great with Fprime, i'm using a large Fprime viewport, instead of OGL.

Wow, I never thought of trying that. :)

dgon64
04-29-2006, 03:07 PM
This is a really cool plug-in-thank you very much! It took abit of playing around but I got it to work after trying a few things-don't know if this is how it's supposed to work-but this is what I did. I had trouble figuring out how to get it to constantly update so what finally worked was ( after opening my UV in PS and painting on my image ) before saving the image file in PS I would activate Autoview plug-in ( I liked this plug so much I already added a button to my menu ) and THEN save the image in PS which Layout would respond to by replacing the object with a blue bounding box. The view would not be updated until I closed the Autoview panel. This was the only way I could get it to work-is this how it's supposed to function? Thanks again!

Greenlaw
04-29-2006, 05:36 PM
Hi,

The view should update everytime you save in Photoshop (or whatever paint package you're using.) You shouldn't have to close Autoview--in fact, Autoview MUST stay open for this feature to work.

Make sure you have the latest version. The old version would stop updating for me after three saves; the new version works like a charm!

DRG

ColinCohen
04-29-2006, 07:31 PM
Yes, you shouldn't have to close the panel. Or there would be no point to the plugin. It's supposed to be automatic.

Trying increaing the Bounding Box Threshold and make sure Dynamic Update is set to "Interactive."

If you are still having problems, please detail your exact steps.

Sensei
04-29-2006, 08:37 PM
Thanks again for the great plugin..
I hope in the future you find a way to make it update with the pen of the tablet feature you mentioned previously, as that would be truly excellent.

That's pretty easy..

Colin: you must use SetWindowsHook() or SetWindowsHookEx() function, because information is captured in different Windows process there will be shared DLL required.. In mouse event capturing function in DLL use GetModuleFileName() to get current process file name.. User in user-interface will have to specify process name of program that he/she uses for painting and this routine will need to compare them.. Ignore every program that does not match file name as soon as possible, otherwise the whole system will suffer and work slower.. You could simulate image save by using two keybd_event(), one for pressing and one for releasing keyboard key (also let user choose what key should be 'pressed', different painting software might have different short-cuts; qualifier keys like shift/ctrl/alt are different for left/right side, and must be issued before issuing the real one key; f.e. simulating ctrl+alt+shift+s will require 8 times using keybd_event()).. Then use some multi-threading communication to inform LightWave plug-in about change..

RedBull
04-30-2006, 12:58 AM
Are you sure Sensei?

I would of thought, you would likely use the Tablet API.
http://www.wacomeng.com/devsupport/ibmpc/downloads.html

I have not actually used it, but i just figured anything that required
tablet interaction was handled through that.

Either way i hope to see it added one day, t's really useful already, but it would be great to see it save at the end of every stroke, and update Fprime in realtime..... Drools at the thought..

:)

dgon64
04-30-2006, 11:02 AM
Colin-thanks for the reply. Upping the bounding box threshold did the trick. Great plug-in! Having it update as proposed would be the icing on the cake-don't mean to sound ungrateful though because this is pretty cool as is-Thanks again!

Sensei
04-30-2006, 03:41 PM
Are you sure Sensei?

I would be sure after writing it.. ;)
To be honest I'm sure for 95% that it'll work..

I have not actually used it, but i just figured anything that required
tablet interaction was handled through that.

Well, do we need pen pressure? No. Do we need pen angle? No. Do we need pen additional buttons like erasers and others? Also no..

If you will find function to set hook/call-back up in this Tablet SDK, that's what we're searching for.. Otherwise, it's useless because it's for end application..

Either way i hope to see it added one day, t's really useful already, but it would be great to see it save at the end of every stroke, and update Fprime in realtime..... Drools at the thought..

If Colin would try what I said in previous mail you would have it in a few hours.. I used this method (windows hooks) in Counter-Strike v1.6 cheating program already in the past..

manproof
05-22-2006, 02:48 PM
My one request is that the Autoview window be resizable, or have a horizontal scroll bar. I work off a server and many of my images are buried pretty deep in a folder structure. Right now I need to guess which image in the list to select.

The plugin is absolutely wonderful, and has helped me a lot. Thanks for your hard work on this, Colin.

ColinCohen
05-22-2006, 03:13 PM
For the time being, you might want to try mapping a drive letter to your network path and then using this drive as your LW content path.

manproof
05-22-2006, 08:26 PM
That should do the trick.
Thanks again for a great tool.

Wickster
02-20-2007, 12:25 PM
Sorry to bring this thread back up but does anyone have the copy or the link to the plugin to this? I need it for a project. Thanks in advance.

Lottmedia
02-20-2007, 12:32 PM
ditto for me

Simon
02-20-2007, 02:32 PM
Hope Colin doesn't mind me posting this on his behalf, here is the original zip that was at the top of the thread before the tragic 2006 Newtek forum attachment failure.

Lottmedia
02-20-2007, 02:40 PM
Now, not to be picky :) but is this the "origianl" or the second one he postin in this thread? I seem to remember him posting one with a few fixes after the 1st one. Just wondering, gift horses and all :)

Wickster
02-20-2007, 03:02 PM
Thank you very much Simon, I'll try this version in the mean time.

Simon
02-20-2007, 03:06 PM
Mmmm I'm sure it was the later one. <detective mode> The modified date on the zip is 29th April so that suggests the one further down the thread. </detective mode>

jin choung
02-20-2007, 10:16 PM
finally,

you can have a pretty full featured 3d paint app in a completely free app - blender.org....

i hope newtek (and autodesk for that matter) are paying attention, the scrappy little app that was just too much of a pain to use a few years ago is lookin' MIGHTY good!

it has stuff that not even big boy apps like maya have out of the box.

jin

T-Light
02-21-2007, 05:24 PM
jin choung -

i hope newtek (and autodesk for that matter) are paying attention
I still have all fingers crossed for LW 10 on this, displacement painting too for that matter.

Thanks Jin, didn't realise you could paint in blender, I'll have to take a look at the latest version :)

Got a new laptop today, first thing on my mind after rendering a LW test was how well will Hex 2 run on the new machine. Couldn't run it properly on the old faithfull as it didn't have anything like enough power.

I'll be back. :thumbsup:

Dodgy
02-22-2007, 03:15 AM
There is of course FI's UV chalk, a 3d painter plugin for LW.