PDA

View Full Version : VT5 and Live Switching

tvoge
04-27-2006, 11:06 AM
Okay, I'm still learning all of this cool stuff so please bear with me. I've read all of the posts about VT5/SpeedEdit/LW9 and so on. I'm having a tough time putting together what exactly I would achieve by upgrading to VT5 if what we do is 99% live taping to VHS and DVD (no post editing and no HD).

Is there something that I can look at that will justify the upgrade cost of almost $1000 that I can take back to my church council and say, "this is what we need to do, let's find the money."?

I'm really looking for help and guidance from you guys who do this stuff for a living and really know it inside out and backwards. I've learned so much from reading the posts here (this stuff has a language all of its own!) and I really appreciate that.

What feature set will really help me out in my non HD, non Post editing world?

Thanks so much for your help!!

Todd Voge
Trinity Radio and Video Services Inc
Trinity Lutheran Church, Faribault, MN
www.trinityradioandvideo.org

Dan Hong
04-27-2006, 11:21 AM
Keep in mind that the $995 price is for Lightwave 9. If you don't need LW9 the upgrade price is $595. For live switching, there are enhanced color correcting tools, dual DSKs, and the ability to use Macs in the IVGA. Plus you get two copies of SpeedEdit.

tvoge
04-27-2006, 11:27 AM
So I wouldn't need to upgrade my LW 8.5 that came with my VT4? That would be cool since I don't do much in LW (I use Logo Arsenal and that's about it). I would be able to bit the $595 price, that's for sure. Plus, having the ability to do post on my Laptop would be nice (we'd like to start doing some post work, but I don't want to sit in the church all weekend doing it!).

Thanks for the info Dan.

Todd

JReble
04-27-2006, 11:41 AM
This raises the question again about LW 8.5 on a VT 4 system. How can we upgrade to VT5 for $595 (or is it $495? I've heard both) and keep our existing LW 8.5? No complaints about the value of the upgrade considering the standalone SpeedEdit license, but I would definitely want my previous version of LW to continue working or be able to have the lower price upgrade option that kept my LW version the same. I don't see it a likely option for anyone who doesn't use LW enough to need V9 to pay $995 for the v9 upgrade just to avoid going back to 7.5. Seems that the LW directory in a 4.6 install should be able to get moved from the VT directory and still function with the card the whole software suite was registered to. If so, there's no problem.

bbeanan
04-27-2006, 11:48 AM
multiple DSKs could be very useful for a Church... and well worth the $595

Bobt
04-27-2006, 08:28 PM
595 is the going rate to update the switcher.
JReble I would write Newtek support direct and point out you have
LW 8.5 and dont want to destroyed by installing VT5. I hope they can
write an installer that will avoid over writting your LW install but you better
make sure.

Bob