PDA

View Full Version : Have VT5 HDTV IN-OUT ?

eon5
04-27-2006, 07:57 AM
...or only i can handle free resolutions in speededit timeline...

but the video capture and playout still is SD ?

any oficial reply is welcome

robewil
04-27-2006, 09:45 AM
Mine's not "official" but I can tell you that HD goes into and out of your VT[5] system via firewire.

Dan Hong
04-27-2006, 11:25 AM
As far as I can tell, there will be an HD-SDI breakout box that you can use in conjunction with the current SX-84. 8 in/8 out. I'm not sure it's been built or even engineered yet. Just a serious guess.

bbeanan
04-27-2006, 11:44 AM
The "offical" word I got from Phillip N. & Tim J. was no the VT5 will not switch HD... but SpeedEdit will edit it. Granted I did not ask if the DDRs will playback HD and scale it down to SD???

Tim J. went on to say that is their next task is HD switching and that it is not to far off.

robewil
04-27-2006, 11:47 AM
Tim J. went on to say that is their next task is HD switching and that it is not to far off.If you were at the Newtek party, you'd know they are not all that far away.

eon5
04-29-2006, 08:26 AM
SpeedEDIT-VT (The version included with VT[5]) will be able to capture the HD/HDV/ETC via Firewire.

The VT[5] hardware does not support HD i/o.. It is still SD.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

no switch soooo...

Bobt
04-29-2006, 08:40 AM
There will be a HD Switcher later this year.
Newtek has been very very busy. They got all this cool stuff and are like
a moving like a freight train. I am still pumped up with all the progress I
saw at the show. Speed Edit looked awesome. An incredible HD Switcher is coming. VT5 will still be SD based I/O with the VT card and allow you to Post edit HD.
You can also preview SD out even though you are editing HD. How wild is that? Good Idea to me I wont have to get an HD monitor till next year :)

Bob

Bobt
04-29-2006, 08:45 AM
>but SpeedEdit will edit it. Granted I did not ask if the DDRs will playback HD and >scale it down to SD???

This seems to be the case since Speed Edit can do this.

Bob

radams
04-29-2006, 09:45 AM
As has been stated,

VT hardware card is SD ONLY.... but the software suite is NOT limited...thus the change with the software side. Starting with the Editor...

NT will have to create a NEW hardware platform to be able to switch HD...which is most likely happening. Note that ANY HD switching will most likely also require you to use a new computer system based around PCI Express to get the proper bandwidth. So don't expect to get the same performance that you get now...unless you update all your hardware, IMHO...That is just a fact of needed bandwidth and throughput.

I think by Next NAB or before we'll hear more of how NT plans to do things.

But for NOW...we can edit in any res and frame rate...but NOT switch it live at this time.

Cheers,

eon5
04-29-2006, 05:50 PM
let me see

i can edit in any res and frame rate... ok

but... can i CAPTURE and BURN TAPE in any res and frame rate using speededit through firewire ?

radams
04-29-2006, 06:03 PM
let me see

i can edit in any res and frame rate... ok

but... can i CAPTURE and BURN TAPE in any res and frame rate using speededit through firewire ?

The answer is yes...firewire is one of the i/o ways to deal with HD i/o with Speed Edit and VT5...just note that VT5's hardware output will be SD only...thou you can view HD out thru your system's graphic's card...SO you can then work in BOTH HD and SD with VT5...Sweet ;)

You just can't do a live switch in HD...Yet ;)

Now also note that there are other ways to get HD into and out of a system....example...if you are working with Film...then have the lab scan to frames or to a codec of your choice...Since SpeedEdit also works with QT now...then the possibility of using predigitized material is available...

And don't forget that the next generation of acquisition is TAPELESS...so to be able to directly use P2, XDcamHD, Jpeg2000, etc...(MXF) would be HUGE...and you can then DUMP the tape i/o...

Cheers,

Bobt
04-29-2006, 06:03 PM
FireWire yes thats what most cameras are supporting.
SDI might also work (just not sure about that yet)

Bob

Bobt
04-29-2006, 06:07 PM
>And don't forget that the next generation of acquisition is TAPELESS...
>so to be able to directly use P2, XDcamHD, Jpeg2000, etc...(MXF)
>would be HUGE...and you can then DUMP the tape i/o...
I agree that most folks are going tapeless. Like Sony with Blueray disk recording and Pansonic with P2 memory etc.. They are going digital end to end. To be honest I am suprised I have not seen a plain old Gigabit connector
on the back end of one of the cameras.

Bob

billmi
04-30-2006, 12:21 PM
I agree that most folks are going tapeless. Like Sony with Blueray disk recording and Pansonic with P2 memory etc..

If Speed Edit has VTScope and VU meters active during live capture from Firewire, I can't imagine not capturing straight into my notebook for anything where conditions allow.

chribba
04-30-2006, 02:08 PM
>I am suprised I have not seen a plain old Gigabit connector

Bob

The Infinity camera (Grass Valley) has gigabit connector,firewire and usb.

chribba

radams
04-30-2006, 02:34 PM
Funny you should say Gigabit ethernet...

Hey NT are you listening ???

IT...IT...IT...IT...IT...IT

Well enough bashing on the head... ;)

Cheers,

radams
04-30-2006, 02:36 PM
>To be honest I am suprised I have not seen a plain old Gigabit connector

Bob

There is on the Thomson and soon will also be on the Panasonics new cameras...

Cheers,

mbloor
04-30-2006, 04:27 PM
SDI might also work (just not sure about that yet)

Bob
Hi Bob
No it wont:thumbsdow
The SDI chipsets on the SDI card will only support SD (270mbits/sec)
To support HD in SDI flavor you need the HD-SDI chipset 1.45Gbits/sec.
So certainly with the current SDI card you couldn`t, that being said Sony have a variation of HD-SDI, HD-SDTI, this is available from some of their HD-cam recorder/players theoretically that could go through a standard chipset, but AFAIK this is only used on the Sony Epsrit edit system. The compression is about 7:1 I believe and is used so they can get the required number of streams from a SAN.
Mark

pnelson
05-02-2006, 02:54 PM
...or only i can handle free resolutions in speededit timeline... but the video capture and playout still is SD ?
any oficial reply is welcome

:thumbsup:

VT[5] is a Standard Def Video Switcher.. By adding SpeedEDIT-VT, you will have the ability to edit HD content but to integrate that edited content into a live production, you will need to convert it to Standard-Def.

Hope that helps clear things up.

JackJ
05-03-2006, 10:25 AM
SpeedEDIT looks great, in many ways very similar to VT-Edit, but with the speed and resolution improvements. What I'm wondering is just how closely the two are related. Is SpeedEdit just an an additional, hardware-independent stand-alone, or is it completely replacing VT-Edit in 5? Are the similarities just cosmetic, and its an entirely different beast under the hood? Can Speededit open VT-Edit files from VT 3-4-5? Or vice versa? (assuming of course the Speededit project doesn't have HD or other unsupported clips in it?) Is professional wrestling fake? :screwy: Thanks.

Jack

pnelson
05-03-2006, 10:48 AM
Jack,

You ask some good questions so I'll answer each of them.

Q:Is SpeedEdit just an an additional, hardware-independent stand-alone, or is it completely replacing VT-Edit in 5?
A: Yes! :)
In addition to being a standalone software editor, SpeedEDIT will become the editor in VT[5].

Q: Are the similarities just cosmetic, and its an entirely different beast under the hood?
A: Not just cosmetic.. TONS of Speed improvements. Everything is faster. Add in the HD stuff and you have some serious editing pleasure. :)

Q: Can Speededit open VT-Edit files from VT 3-4-5?
A: Yes

Q: Or vice versa? (assuming of course the Speededit project doesn't have HD or other unsupported clips in it?)
A: Not sure.. Will keep you posted on this one.. I would expect that a SpeedEDIT project would NOT work in previous versions.

Q: Is professional wrestling fake?
A: I have a friend who was a professional wrestler and he is ALWAYS getting hurt.. Soo.. I guess that means it's not fake. :)

JackJ
05-03-2006, 11:55 AM
Wow, complete answer, even got the last one! (Although I was asking more from the standpoint of 'why don't you ever see the standings on the sports page', and not impugning in any way the admittedly spectacular physical feats involved)

Sounds terrific. Looks like just what we've been waiting for to start seriously considering the shift to HD. Just one last question. If speed edit is hardware independent, and HD in and out is through Firewire (at least for now), what, if any, additional benefits might the toaster card provide? Have most of the hardware features been shifted over to the main CPU and GPU?

pnelson
05-03-2006, 12:16 PM
Live SD switching.. Live Video/Audio I/O

All o' that crazy LIVE stuff. :)

JackJ
05-03-2006, 12:33 PM
And the people said, "Groovy." :thumbsup:

billmi
05-03-2006, 12:41 PM
Phillip, I've asked some of this in another thread, but it only got some educated guesses there.

At present, VT[4] uses SD resolution DVE files for both switching and editing.

For live switching, will VT[5] use the same format DVE files as VT[4]?

For post production will Speed Edit use the same format DVE files as VT[4]?

Leading to more questions....

Will Speed Edit upres/downres existing VT[2]-VT[4] DVEs as needed to use them in an HD project?

Will Speed Edit also use HD resolution DVEs, and downres them as needed for SD editing?

Will HD resolution DVEs created with the existing published tools for DVE creation (the DVE toolkit for Lightwave, and Aura 2) work in HD resolutions in Speed Edit, or will new tools be needed?

Will VT[5] (or [4] for that matter) downres an HD DVEs to allow them to be used for live SD switching, or will it behoove DVE designers in the future to create both HD and SD versions of their DVE - SD for switcher, HD for Speed Edit.

pnelson
05-03-2006, 12:53 PM
Here goes nothin'...

Q: For live switching, will VT[5] use the same format DVE files as VT[4]?
A: Yes..

Q: For post production will Speed Edit use the same format DVE files as VT[4]?
A: Yes and No.. VT[5] and SpeedEDIT will include 4x3 and 16x9 tranistions.. SpeedEDIT will smart enought to know which version to use.

Q:Will Speed Edit upres/downres existing VT[2]-VT[4] DVEs as needed to use them in an HD project?
A: SpeedEDIT will have both and pick the correct aspect based on your project preferences.

Q: Will Speed Edit also use HD resolution DVEs, and downres them as needed for SD editing?
A: See previous two answers! :)

Q:Will HD resolution DVEs created with the existing published tools for DVE creation (the DVE toolkit for Lightwave, and Aura 2) work in HD resolutions in Speed Edit, or will new tools be needed?
A: Same toolkit.. More aspect ration goodness.

Q:Will VT[5] (or [4] for that matter) downres an HD DVEs to allow them to be used for live SD switching, or will it behoove DVE designers in the future to create both HD and SD versions of their DVE - SD for switcher, HD for Speed Edit.
A: Depending on the content of the DVE, you may need to create two versions..

Keep em comin'..

billmi
05-03-2006, 01:22 PM
Thanks Phillip :-)

And a follow-up - how will Speed Edit know the difference between a 16:9 and a 4:3 DVE?
is this just a matter of a naming convention for the DVE (i.e. - fade_rt.dve and fader_rt.dvh) or a new option in DVE encoding tools? And if a naming convention is that available yet?

tfrank
05-03-2006, 02:20 PM
Phillip,
Is not another difference between SpeedEdit and the "Full Blown" VT5 package, the CG? For some reason I thought that there were different CG software packages with the CG in SpeedEdit being the lesser of the two.

ScorpioProd
05-03-2006, 04:19 PM
SpeedEDIT comes with the "CG-POST" style CG that's inside of VT-Edit right now, but with some improvements.

VT[5] would come with that plus the full CG Designer like in VT[4] currently, but with some improvements.

CG Designer has abilities that the CG-POST doesn't, like rendering out pages and scrolls, things needed when doing a lot of pages, also things like global tracking and leading.

CG-POST doesn't have these things, but has some animation abilities, like line by line and reveals.

So, it depends what you need really, and if the CG inside SpeedEDIT can really do all you need or not. But if you have VT[5], too, no worries.

wvp
05-03-2006, 07:50 PM
...what, if any, additional benefits might the toaster card provide? Have most of the hardware features been shifted over to the main CPU and GPU?
I might add a few things:
The VT system has always used the Computers CPU for everything. The VT card has been for input and output of analog video and audio. It also serves as a sort of dongle for the VT software to run.
The VT system provides you with the "full blown" CG program, a live switch capability (optional breakout box needed for all the inputs), a 2D animation program (Aura), a 3D animation program (Lightwave), IVGA (which allows switching or capturing of the display from other computers) VGA capture (similar to ivga, but has other merits), DVD Workshop (a 3rd party DVD encoding and authoring program (I assume this will not be included with stand-a-lone speed edit) plus the ability to capture video in a variety of sources (not sure if speed edit will allow capture of video via firewire).

joseburgos
05-03-2006, 09:02 PM
But no mates/mask :(

Dillon
05-03-2006, 10:14 PM
can speed edit do surround sound without the toaster card?

Kevin Brice
05-14-2006, 02:13 PM
There will be a HD Switcher later this year.
Newtek has been very very busy. They got all this cool stuff and are like
a moving like a freight train. I am still pumped up with all the progress I
saw at the show. Speed Edit looked awesome. An incredible HD Switcher is coming. VT5 will still be SD based I/O with the VT card and allow you to Post edit HD.
You can also preview SD out even though you are editing HD. How wild is that? Good Idea to me I wont have to get an HD monitor till next year :)

Bob

Hmm... later this year? Will this require me to get an entire new VT setup at the end of the year if I buy VT[4]/VT[5] now?

billmi
05-14-2006, 02:24 PM
Obviously anything coming from us (non-NewTek employees) is going to be pure speculation, but looking at NewTek's track record, they have always offered upgrade options rather than requiring people to ditch one set of equipment in favor of something new. That's been the philosophy behind their video products.

Even when the VTNT came out, the price to people who had the original Amiga based Video Toaster was hugely discounted off the normal price.

The VT card has gone through at least two hardware changes from VTNT to VT[4] but VT[2], VT[3], and VT[4] have all been available to owners of the original board as software-only opgrades. As a VTNT owner, I wasn't left in the lurch, I was able to buy a software upgrade and run VT[4].

I didn't have to buy a new board. If I wanted the additional hardware features of the VTPro card that ships with new VTp[4] systems (additional audio I/O channels) there is also an upgrade option involving a card exchange and software, but I am able to run VT[4] on my original board without new hardware.

Just because HD switching is being discussed for the future doesn't mean future software releases aren't going to work with current hardware, and such a situation would not follow the way the company has marketed their products.