PDA

View Full Version : Where the did speededit come from

Lude
04-27-2006, 02:50 AM
Speededit Ė COOL
http://www.newtek.com/speededit/

Iíve been so pist of at how slow editing HD footage is in the likes of Premier.

But where the **** did speededit come from, guess I must have had my head in the sand because to day is the first time I heard about it.

YOU NEED TO SHOUT MORE ABOUT THIS!

Is it any good? Will there be a demo version to try?

RudySchneider
04-27-2006, 08:40 AM
Lude ---
I wouldn't be too hard on yourself. If you scroll down the page a bit on the link you posted you'll notice that Newtek just announced SpeedEdit on 4/24/2006!

robewil
04-27-2006, 09:40 AM
SpeedEdit isn't really new. It's been the editing program from VT[2] to VT[4] not to mention Tricaster. SpeedEdit is VT-Edit unbundled and with new capabilities, namely HD.

As a user of this program for years, I can tell you what us VT users have known all along. SpeedEdit is the fastest, most underrated editor on the planet. Its workflow is amazing. For anyone who has used Avid, Apple, or Adobe, it's time you took a look at SpeedEdit. The greatest NLE has been under your noses all this time.

KSTAR
04-27-2006, 10:56 AM
Speededit Ė COOL
http://www.newtek.com/speededit/

Iíve been so pist of at how slow editing HD footage is in the likes of Premier.

But where the **** did speededit come from, guess I must have had my head in the sand because to day is the first time I heard about it.

YOU NEED TO SHOUT MORE ABOUT THIS!

Is it any good? Will there be a demo version to try?

You just haven't read the right forum we have been yacking about it for about a month now :thumbsup:

Check out some of the demos Don Ballance, and Ralph Messana are doing at NAB on the Newtek Stream. Its beta but some of the newer features are being covered

corsa
04-27-2006, 03:14 PM
I see some similarities to their old Amiga-based Video Toaster Flyer non-linear editor... :)

robewil
04-27-2006, 03:16 PM
I see some similarities to their old Amiga-based Video Toaster Flyer non-linear editor... :)You're right. Flyer Edit is SpeedEdit's very distant cousin five times removed, but there is still a hint of it.

Red_Oddity
04-28-2006, 02:31 AM
How does this editor compare to say, Premiere or FCP?
I'm still searching for a decent editor (Premiere's lack of flexibility in Project settings makes it useless for us, and Vegas is just too weird control wise, and Avid is too expensive and too 'traditional cutting room' for us.

What would this program do for me, if i, say, would use it to edit a moving storyboard, and want to be able to use the same project to do my final editting (deadlines here are just too insane to start from scratch every time, and EDLs are not that handy (in Premiere and Vegas)), can i switch project resolutions mid project (like i could with the old Premiere for example (pre unflexible Pro version).

Also, i can't find a decent information page on this product, as i'm certainly very interested in this product (price and features wise)...

UnCommonGrafx
04-28-2006, 04:21 AM
Welp,
Many us have been using it for some time. I'm THRILLED that they have let it go StandAlone as more 'Wavers will now have the privilege, too.

Red_Oddity, I'm not up on what all they've changed, but changing resolutions is something that is done at export time. That is to say, on the timeline, your project is always 'the size it is'.
A cool function you will come to love is called "inherit". With inherit, you have that storyboard you spoke of; now you have clips to replace what's on the timeline. Pick a clip, press alt and slide the clip over the clip to be replaced. A tooltip will popup and say "Inherit". Let go and that one's done.
The storyboard editor is what you will love using with your moving storyboard. And the timeline, at the same time, to finesse and tune your layers.

It's the LightWave way of video editing: very comfortable. ;)

I can't wait. Finally, I won't have to DRAG my VT out to edit!

ted
04-28-2006, 09:49 AM
I'd say NO to Premier and maybe to FCP. It's a decent application, but if NewTek can support the P2 MXF files, I'll never leave the Speed of VT/Speed Edit.

PLEASE, get some demos from experts doing WHAT YOU DO DAILY!
Most every editor has features that beat other systems. Whatever you need to do on a daily basis is the biggest item in the equasion.
VT is the Swiss Army Knife of the production world and can do most everything decently. As with any system, 3rd party support and workarouunds are normally required for various tasks.

Do your homework and I wish you well. Tell us what you do daily and this wonderful group of people can surely help you with specifics.

KSTAR
04-28-2006, 10:32 AM
Also, i can't find a decent information page on this product, as i'm certainly very interested in this product (price and features wise)...

Since SpeedEdit is VTEdit or TED, go the VT4 page and download the .pdf docs for Toaster edit. Its essentially SpeedEdit minus the new features. In regards to workflow its nearly identical, and should answer the majority of your questions

docs are here ftp://ftp.newtek.com/pub/VideoToaster/Downloads/

Red_Oddity
04-29-2006, 09:48 AM
alright, thank you guys...

RonGC
04-29-2006, 11:38 AM
Looks interesting, one thing that it will have to do though is beat the apple suite of tools integration with, and easy transfer of files back and forth from, FCP to DVD studio pro , Motion, Shake, etc. Never underestimate the need to easily move files between apps on the overall speed of a project.

With the FCP studio apps i have been able to consistently complete projects 20% faster than i had previously with other non apple apps.

Another item is does it run on the Mac, they have a big portion of the video production field.

Ron

tmon
05-02-2006, 01:47 AM
I would be interested in hearing about SpeedEdit running on WindowsXP via Boot Camp. Funny how some of the best performance on the Apple platform now occurs with native XP apps running on Intel chips! It won't surprise me if this proves to be the same with SpeedEdit.

As far as workflow, I think FCP has an edge in integration between FCP/LiveType/SoundtrackPro/Motion/GarageBand, but the VT Suite, including LW 3D and Aura, live switch, iVGA and internet streaming, is nothing to sneeze at. And, with Bob Tasa's plugins (i.e. LWConnect, Oasis, multicam), there is a lot of power there. FCP has been doing a better job, thus far, in addressing the concerns of posthouse types (much better timecode support, print to tape tools, superior pro-grade audio tools, etc). I will say that while I use both suites, VT-Edit, soon to be SpeedEdit, is a much, much faster NLE for daily shortform editing work.

I think FCP needs a major OSX code overhaul, and while I love the tools in the suite and the integration between the Apple apps, SpeedEdit wins hands down in overall editing speed.

Never underestimate how sluggish rendering, importation of assets into bins before they are available to the NLE, and sluggish transcoding from the timeline can slow your workflow! No one gives NewTek props for their designing the NLE to be able to access media directly from drives, or for their WAAY fast rendering/transcoding out of the timeline . ;)

For the most part, we use the two systems in parallel, but when we do share assets, we usually use uncompressed AVI as the common format. With more codecs available in SpeedEdit, I hope there are other options for "cross pollination" in the future.

Werner
05-04-2006, 07:18 AM
Argh...for a moment there I though Speededit was a cool tweak mode for Modeler (like tweak mode in XSI where you can edit points, polys or edges without having to jump between selection modes).

Oh well...nothing for me here, but I'm sure people will love this.