PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Lightwave 8.5 Render Crashes

Damondo
04-27-2006, 02:07 AM
Hi,
Don't know if anyone else is experiencing this but I'm a new LightWave user and recently purchased 8.5 and installed it on a brand new Macintosh G5 Quad with 4.5Gb RAM, Nvidia Quadro FX4500 graphics board (512Mb). When I try and render some of the Content material that comes on the 'extras' CDs - Lightwave just bombs out. Then 'sometimes' after reloading Lightwave and the content scene I try and render again and it does it fine. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the FX4500 why I am experiencing such an unstable rendering environment within Lightwave ... although that would also surprise me because the Quadro FX4500 is an exceptional card.
I also experience a crash every time with the Preview function. It makes teh preview fine but when I hit 'End Preview' ... boom ... Lightwave crashes out. I notified Tech Support and they say that it's a bug on the mac. :-(
Any suggestions or settings I could try to resolve either of these problems would be immensely appreciated!
Cheers

avkills
04-27-2006, 07:37 AM
Hmmm. I have noticed that my LW 7.5 scenes will bomb out unless I immediately save them from 8.5 once they load. But I also get occasional render crashes on my Dual 2Ghz X800 rig.

Hopefully v9 will remedy all these issues.

-mark

MLynch
04-27-2006, 09:11 AM
Damondo -

Just curious: do you experience the same render crash when rendering original work? Is it isolated to just the content from the Extras CD?

Damondo
04-27-2006, 09:43 AM
Do you know mate, this will sound really bad, but i've not tried it with my own stuff yet. I've kinda become really cautious of even starting anything because of the crashes. What I have done is installed LightWave 8.5 on my other Quad which has the standard GeForce 6600 in it and it seems far more stable. Only a couple of crashes. I am puzzled tho because the 6600 is far inferior to the Quadro FX4500 in every way. I hope it's not an incompatibility issue between the FX4500 and Lightwave. That would just make my day!

MLynch
04-27-2006, 10:57 AM
My suggestion: give it a go. Try either a previous piece of your own, or a new one (back it up first ...just to be on the safe side) and render it - see what happens.

My new G5 Quad should be arriving tomorrow morning (4GB RAM, 500GB HD, NVIDIA GF 7800 GT video card). I have a large render to do for hi-res output in another app - which is my first order of business once it's set-up, but once that's done I'd be happy to see if I get similar results when rendering in LW 8.5. What file are you rendering from the Extra's CD? And what settings are you using? ...In the meantime perhaps another member with a Quad can try it as well to see if they get similar results.

...one other question: are you trying to render the file from the CD, or did you copy it to your hard drive first? If you're rendering from the CD I'd suggest coping it to your hard drive. The only reason I even think of this is that I have another app that crashes if I try and render from an external hard drive or CD... all files need to be on the local hard drive for it to be happy.

Lumeswell
04-27-2006, 09:55 PM
I dont have an answer for it, but I experience similar issues on my Quad/7800GT/2G. Not with content of the CD material, all my own stuff.

Its always hard to pin down, and not repeatable. ie, hit F9 and it blows up, so load the same scene, make no changes, hit F9 and it renders.

I have become a bit gun shy about trying to work to fast (which seems a bit stoopid given the machine!). If you make a few changes to a scene, or the objects in a scene (playing with texture settings, image maps etc) just wait a few seconds before hitting F9. Given that the problems are not uniformly repeatable I dont know if it helps or not. I still get the occasional problem, but it feels like its a bit more stable.

It is annoying though, particulalry when you are tweaking a surface to get it just right and it has rendered fine for the first few test passes, and you just want to do a final check before you save the object out and BOOM, back to square 1.

I to am hoping V9 will address this, when it ships

Damondo
04-28-2006, 02:42 AM
Thanks for your suggestions guys! I'm going to try them over the weekend and will report back. As you say, hopefully these issues will be addressed in V9 and the days of hitting F9, closing my eyes and slowly opening them only to see the desktop will be in the past.
Cheers

avkills
04-29-2006, 04:51 PM
I have used Lightwave since the Toaster days and I learned the best rule of thumb is to save and save often.

-mark

toby
04-29-2006, 09:42 PM
Some standard tips for improved stability;

Don't use JPG's for textures, Lightwave doesn't play well with them. Use PNGs ( which are higher quality anyway ), and when you can get away with it, use 8 bit PNGs to save texture memory.

Turn off the Hub, by moving the application out of the programs folder.

I have also had problems with objects from previous versions, try re-saving and reloading them.

:goodluck:

Damondo
04-30-2006, 04:45 AM
Good thinking! I'll try those :agree: