PDA

View Full Version : Polygon Help

Teig
04-26-2006, 05:57 PM
I am fairly new to Lightwave (8.5 Windows) and could use a hand. I am having some type of smoothing problems. I have removed all 1 and 2 point points and polys and have verified that there are no overlapping points. The only thing I see that is odd is that some of the polys direction lines (the dotted line) isn't centered. Is this a problem?, and what are the likely causes? I could not find any info on the web or in the manual.

Sarford
04-26-2006, 07:07 PM
Funny, never seen that but then again, I don't give normals (thats how these dotted lines are called) much thought most of the time.
What's the actual problem your getting? Can you show some renders of it?
You could try to delete them (press k) and put them back in by hand...

Teig
04-26-2006, 08:29 PM
The polygons have been deleted by hand then replaced. I doublechecked there are no more than 4 points. I am getting that smoothing error in several places in the model.

Dexter2999
04-27-2006, 12:34 AM
You said it is a smoothing error. Is your smoothing at the default? Because that is often WAY WAY TOO HIGH. I find most of the time when I use smoothing the optimum setting is much closer to 20%. I used to get errors like the one you pictured all the time, then I got the 3d Garage training set and Dan Ablan revealed that setting is flawed.

Good Luck.

PS. I recommend his training materials highly.

toby
04-27-2006, 01:03 AM
I find most of the time when I use smoothing the optimum setting is much closer to 20%. I used to get errors like the one you pictured all the time, then I got the 3d Garage training set and Dan Ablan revealed that setting is flawed.

Wow, I've been using LW for years and I've never met anyone who had a problem with 89 degree smoothing. It is not 'flawed', it must be his style of modelling that makes it uneccessary. I will check it out, but I suspect he's either doing a lot of extra beveling, or he's leaving a lot of cg-sharp edges, which I can't stand.

You do have to model with smoothing in mind, and I have a couple web pages to help with just that. It has nothing to do with the Normal indicators you're seeing.
http://tobygaines.com/smoothing.html
http://tobygaines.com/bevel.html

Sarford
04-27-2006, 06:13 AM
Maybe this is too obvious but.... are you sure that model is made of one and the same surface? I mean do all poly's have the same surface aplied to it?

I just noticed your problem, see next post :)

Sarford
04-27-2006, 06:26 AM
The problem is that the left three upper and lower polygons at the edge are at an angle lower that 89.9 degrees so smoothing is aplied. The right three upper and lower polygons at the edge are at a 90 degree angle so no smoothing is aplied.

You can increase your smoothing angle but that can give you some strange results at edges wich should be straight. Better to bevel this edge.

Hope this helps.

Teig
05-01-2006, 05:23 PM
I wanted to say thanks for all of the help. Sarford nailed it. It ended up being the odd angled of where the poly was located. The tutorial Toby has explained it quite well. I beveled it and it fixed the problems. thanks again to all who posted.

Teig
05-01-2006, 05:25 PM
I wanted to say thanks for all of the help. Toby nailed it. I applied the bevel and it fixed the problem. I will post completed renders in a day or so. Thanks again to all who replied.