PDA

View Full Version : No transparant background in image used for UV mapping

Recipe
04-26-2006, 04:13 PM
Hello,

I just started with Lightwave and I have a question. I want to UV map an .PNG image of a logo on a polygon of a model I created. I took the logo image (a .GIF file) from a website. I modified the image in Photoshop to create a transparant background in the image. And thus that I dont see the background of the image while mapping it onto another coloured background. I saved the modified image in photoshop as a .PNG file.

As far as I know, I really have a transparent background cause Photoshop tells me so and I also loaded the image into a powerpoint slide that has another background colour. No background of the logo image showed up. So I would say that the image is ready to use as an UV texture on my model.

But when I create an UV texture and load the image into it, Lightwave sees the transparent background/part of the image as white or makes it white so that it is not transparent anymore on my polygoon/model.

Can somebody help me and explain what I'm doing wrong here.

Many thanks in advance.

Sarford
04-26-2006, 05:08 PM
I'm not sure if LW can recognize an alpha channel in an PNG file. You can check if one is available in the Image Editor, there is a button there named Alpha Channel with witch you can set it at enable, disable or alpha only. If there is no alpha channel in the image its grayed out.
Maybe your better off making a TIFF format and save it with alpha channel enabled in Photoshop.