PDA

View Full Version : LightWave v9 on Stage at NAB '06, 4/27/06

Chuck
04-26-2006, 03:36 PM
Tomorrow, April 27, at 1:00 PM US Pacific Time, William "Proton" Vaughan will be on the main stage and streaming to the world, demoing LightWave v9. He'll be putting the forthcoming new edition of LightWave through it's paces for approximately an hour, so if you'd like a good look a v9, stop by Booth SL 526 or log on to the stream at >>> NewTek NAB Webcast <<< (http://www.newtek.com/shows/nab/2006/)

Bog
04-26-2006, 03:43 PM
Have a great show, guys - make lots of new little Lightwavers :)

Meaty
04-26-2006, 04:04 PM
Chuck, that is great news.

Is there anyways you can ask Proton to include a demo of the edge weights system? It is a big new feature that hasn't made an appearence in the demo vids yet. I (and probably a few others) have been very anxious to see it in action.

Thanks!

colkai
04-27-2006, 02:50 AM
8pm GMT - Hmmm, should be able to see that, stream b/width not withstanding :p

DiedonD
04-27-2006, 03:48 AM
8pm GMT - Hmmm, should be able to see that, stream b/width not withstanding :p

Hey Colkai, how will you watch this event. Im in Europe too, and it seems watching it online on the internet isnt an option, as far as I could gather so far. SO do you already have that NAB channel on your TV, or how else do you plan to see it? If youve managed to get an internet option could you tell me how you did it. Cause doint it with VIP in the end requires to buy a ticket, and I dont intend to go there, just want to watch it at home, just like you.

Regards
Diedon (My friends call me Donnie)

FranK10
04-27-2006, 04:01 AM
@diedond:

You don't need nothing special but DSL connection. You must simply connect to the link provided at the right time and video will appear in the window of your browser.
I already did it with other NAB videos.

metahumanity
04-27-2006, 04:40 AM
The video page crashes both IE nd FF over here.

FranK10
04-27-2006, 04:47 AM
Both browsers are fine here, but there isn't any video at this time.
No crash here.

DiedonD
04-27-2006, 04:56 AM
@diedond:

You don't need nothing special but DSL connection. You must simply connect to the link provided at the right time and video will appear in the window of your browser.
I already did it with other NAB videos.

Oh I see, so I just go to that site that Chuck provided and that black window was suppose to be it then huh. Thanks that was Cool and easy.

Youve seen these videos before havent you. Did you had the chance to record it somehow through means of computer. I know I can record by capturing that view by camera, but if we were to use computer it would bring up higher quality.

Also where are you from Frank, and when do you expect this video to play at your time?

Matt
04-27-2006, 05:29 AM
I'll be tuning in at 8pm GMT, Chuck, tell Proton to say to us here in the UK!

:)

The NAB page seems fine here, but nothing is showing just yet.

Also, try using the link without being inside the TV!

http://www.newtek.com/shows/nab/2006/live.asx

FranK10
04-27-2006, 05:29 AM
I'm from Italy and I expect the video at 21. There are about +9h from Italy to Las Vegas (NAB).

Dis
04-27-2006, 06:26 AM
n/m this, totally spaced on the date!

vlucas1
04-27-2006, 07:35 AM
I'm from Italy and I expect the video at 21. There are about +9h from Italy to Las Vegas (NAB).

Did you mean 22:00, 13+9=22.:thumbsup:

cresshead
04-27-2006, 01:33 PM
just watching it now [from uk]

good show people!

3d arsenal is pretty spiffy too!:) :lwicon:

Wolvy_UK
04-27-2006, 01:59 PM
I checked the forum time tool to see what time pacific time is in GMT time, and it' s 9PM, not 8PM as someone said earlier.

Kiki just said Proton is going to be showing LW 9 very soon, like in a few minutes.

Matt
04-27-2006, 02:06 PM
That's good to know, just logged in now at 9:06pm. And there's the man himself!!!

Hey Will! :)

Meaty
04-27-2006, 02:07 PM
woohoo! Proton must have gotten the memo! Edge weights was one of the first things he showed!

Thanks guys!

Matt
04-27-2006, 02:07 PM
I saw that too!

Matt
04-27-2006, 02:19 PM
Wonder what the crowd is like, is there a big crowd there?

Matt
04-27-2006, 02:26 PM
Love the fact you can sub-d toggle in Layout, can't remember the number of times I've had to skip back to Modeler to hit the Tab key!

Small but nice feature!

cresshead
04-27-2006, 03:03 PM
so far the node editing was quite good for lw9 but lw 9 hasn't 'grabbed me'
as much as lightwave 8 did when shown at siggraph waay back when...

speed edit looks great...i use premiere and final cut express currently but speed edit looks FAB!

alos 3d arsenal looks a neat addition...i hope that is INCLUDED in lw 9 and ot a additional expense....we'll see!

Wolvy_UK
04-27-2006, 03:12 PM
Is Proton going to show LW9 again today ?

I went out of the room to get something to eat, but when I came back he was already on, and I missed the edge weights part.

Hopefully there' ll be a video of it soon on the website to watch instead. I can' t believe I missed the start... :rolleyes:

T-Light
04-27-2006, 03:17 PM
cresshead

i hope that is INCLUDED in lw 9 and ot a additional expense....we'll see!

3D Arsenal content is available to LightWave owners at a retail price of $295US.

Sorry Cress :(

It's under 'pricing & availability' on this page
http://www.newtek.com/news/releases/04-24-06h.html

Matt
04-27-2006, 03:20 PM
Whhhhhhhooooooooooaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh!

Speed Edit looks awesome! That's gotta bring NewTek some bucks! Do you need a Toaster to use it or is it a stand-alone job?

Meaty
04-27-2006, 03:34 PM
Matt, it is standalone... I think it is the editor in Toaster.

KSTAR
04-27-2006, 03:40 PM
Matt, its a stand alone :thumbsup: If you are a VT owner and upgrade to VT5 before June 30th (I think thats the date) You will get an additional version of SpeedEdit for free!

That means you will have a copy of SpeedEdit which is an integrated module of the VT5, plus an additional copy to load on your laptop, or another work station.

VT edit is now SpeedEdit..."TED is DEAD"

Matt
04-27-2006, 03:42 PM
Hmmmmm, interesting, but would you get that speed on a pretty pokey PC, or is the version demo'd enhanced with Toaster power behind it?

Meaty
04-27-2006, 03:45 PM
Matt - remember that VT is sort of like a production studio meant for live switching, streaming and all sorts of jazz. Speed Edit won't be doing that, it is just the editor.

cresshead
04-27-2006, 03:47 PM
just software...NIFTY!
i use final cut express and premiere and will DEF be looking at speed edit as my nxt vido editor...the story baod and DUAL view is awesome...you can look close up in one view and zoomed out in another....

the storyboard view is mega too...REALLY useful stuff...

fastest video editor on ANY planet!

steve g

cresshead
04-27-2006, 03:50 PM
3d arsenal looks good...and they are talking about adding 'packs' for sports etc as additions....

the customisable semi canned scenes are very cool...

i edit video, create dvd's, make flash/web bits and 3d illustrations for books as a day job so speed edit and 3d arsenal would boost the output:lwicon: :) :newtek:

Matt
04-27-2006, 03:58 PM
Matt - remember that VT is sort of like a production studio meant for live switching, streaming and all sorts of jazz. Speed Edit won't be doing that, it is just the editor.

Cool, that's what I meant, if I wanted to replace Premiere for editing, I can use SpeedEdit, that's awesome!

What I meant with the Toaster was that the editing SPEED of Speed Edit isn't been accelerated on Toaster hardware, it's your PC doing the work.

Right?

Meaty
04-27-2006, 03:59 PM
Yeah, from what I understand, it is just software. Don't quote me on that though =]

KSTAR
04-27-2006, 04:10 PM
Yeah its all about the speed of your PC only. The SpeedEdit stream from NAB is being done with a workstation without a VT in it. I dont know the specs of the PC they were using but they were manipulating 4 scaled layers of HiDef in real time on top of standard def! Thats just sick. Remember computers are only going to get faster, and faster. Exciting times ahead :thumbsup:

Chuck
04-27-2006, 04:17 PM
The VT hardware is just I/O - it gets video in and out of the computer, and the rest is all software and the CPU - so the more powerful the system CPU and RAM and the faster your hard drive subsystem's sustained transfer rate, the more you can do and the faster you can do it.

T-Light
04-27-2006, 04:18 PM
Saw an older version of this running with a toaster system a few years ago, I was gobsmacked, it really is a great piece of software. I'd reckon Newtek were showing the software ONLY version tonight at NAB otherwise it would have been misrepresentative.

Probably need to ask the guys on the Toaster forums on this one but as far as I remember the Toaster hardware is mainly used for handling complex video in/out/conversion etc, it was the computer it was attached to that provided the various codecs and the on the fly editing.

Here's hoping Newtek pop up a demo, as I think I'll be the first to download :thumbsup:

EDIT: OOPS, missed your post Chuck

cresshead
04-28-2006, 06:44 AM
mini review:

lightwave 9....nothing new to see from what we already have seen in previous videos...node editing was nice and the poly distance thinng is good but nothing new... 3ds max had this feature in version 4 when they bought the intel plugin for max [game poly reduction with distance but maintaining uv mapping]...

either lightwave 9 feature demoers are holdng back a huge amount of cool features or lightwave 9 looks to me to be a low key product on launch...yeah were getting some tools in layout that are from modeler and the renderer is faster and can handle more polys plus the paticle system can now handle a million particles in a scene...yet where's the cool HEADLINE making features?....seems more of a catch up version than a leap forward when you look sideways to cinema4d, 3dsmax,maya and xsi

i do like the idea of the node editor being a CHOICE not a new imposed way of working...was a good call on that feature.

things i'd have liked to have been in lw 9? [and they may be in lw 9...!]
bones/rigging/auto rigger advancement
mo cap supported rigs...drag n drop...
new motion mixer
a fprime style previewer from newtek that works with everything...
[[i feel that f rime will be even more crippled with the new shader nodes]]
better import/export....being able to load a obj/3ds/fbx in layout would be a start.

being able to export a layout scene to 3ds [lights/camera/animation should have been in there from lw6.0

okay...having a moan!...sorry!...hey hope i'm proved to be incorrect in what lw9 has...

the main thing that engages my interest in upgrading to lw9 currently is VUE and NOT lw 9...tha's a weird feeling!:stumped:

cresshead
04-28-2006, 06:56 AM
mini review:
speed edit f rom newtek [software video editing app] [winxp only i think]

having a day job that includes creating videos/dvd's this grabbed my interest as i have to deal with projects that have 15 hours of dv tape to pull from and create a 20-40 min dvd...i've used premiere 6.0 in the past and currently use final cut express on a mac mini [and i movie!]...

i have to say the guy demoing the speed edit really did the biz...:thumbsup:
QUOTE::''fastest video editor on ANY planet!''
now this was more like it!...REAL headline cool features that made you sit up and take notice...

looks to me to be a fantastic bit of software...wit some ace workflows for getting the job out the door with minimul hassel...the idea of a zoomed in and a zoomed out view is a real cool feature ive been wanting in an editor for ages!

the drag drop relace/slip slide and timings features look to be right on the button!

wow!...nice one newtek!....you've sold me on that one!
would like to see a spec sheet guide to use it..see if my laptop can handle it too! [amd turion64 1 gig ram]

the idea of mix and match pal/ntsc/HD is brilliant too...

great demo and a great looking product!:newtek:
...hey you need to add a speed edit logo in your smiles area!!!

Bog
04-28-2006, 07:48 AM
lightwave 9....nothing new to see from what we already have seen in previous videos...node editing was nice and the poly distance thinng is good but nothing new... 3ds max had this feature in version 4 when they bought the intel plugin for max [game poly reduction with distance but maintaining uv mapping]...

Yeah, and they're still using lights and polygons. Tsch. SoftImage had that back in version 1....

cresshead
04-28-2006, 08:01 AM
Hmm..

i WAS expecting to see MORE of lw 9 at nab..maybe not all but def MORE
features....z brush import capabilities are a good edition...

s' pose we'll have to wait n see.

Matt
04-28-2006, 08:02 AM
mini review:
a fprime style previewer from newtek that works with everything...

If they did that AND it work over network rendering too, that would be VERY cool!

:)

cresshead
04-28-2006, 08:13 AM
oh...the object, camera, lights floating windows ARE a nice workflow enhancement.

proton should get a demo scene together to show off the incidence angle sub patching on a normal mapped game characters..that would be a good thing to see for game developers:)

cresshead
04-28-2006, 08:18 AM
additonal note...
anyone spot the 'inspire' logos on the backdrop?

maybe they'll show that at siggraph?

seems newtek are expanding their range of 3d apps...

lightwave 9
3d arsenal [based strangley on lwighwave 7.5!] i sorta see the one step back approach to the pricing now i think about it
inspire for video..based on what though?...lw 6.0, lightwave 7.5 or lw 8.0?

Meaty
04-28-2006, 08:33 AM
Cress - I think that 3D Arsenal is based on 7.5 because 7.5 is the version that ships with VT.

cresshead
04-28-2006, 09:05 AM
ahh!..that make more sense now!:)