PDA

View Full Version : Nary a word about VT5??

Dillon
04-26-2006, 08:34 AM
Yo NewTek,

I'm a lil confused.

I know a *lot* about Speed Edit, and Tricaster and Tricaster Pro, and even about 3D arsenal!

But I've yet to hear *anything* about VT5? HUH?

Intentional darkness about specs and features of VT5 at NAB - what ya got up your sleeve?

Thanks for showing your forearms. :)

Dillon

robewil
04-26-2006, 08:55 AM
The biggest difference between VT[4] and [5] is that [5] includes SpeedEdit and can do live SDI switching.

Jim_C
04-26-2006, 09:02 AM
Really we don't even know that much about Speed Edit. Especially when it comes to the more basic improvements and additions over VT-Edit.

I'm sure more detailed feature lists will surface shortly.

SCS5
04-26-2006, 09:20 AM
Come-on Newtek!!..It's NAB!! What about SpeedEdit & VT5???..How about a feature list??

robewil
04-26-2006, 09:35 AM
Having seen SpeedEdit demoed pretty extensively, my impression is that the focus was on resolution independance and frame-rate independance. Thus, the ability to work in HD. Other features are the 3-wheel color corrector and the MPEG and Flash encoding and the ability to work with Quicktime fully. The workflow is pretty much the same as VT-Edit.

FranK10
04-26-2006, 11:52 AM
Having seen SpeedEdit demoed pretty extensively, my impression is that the focus was on resolution independance and frame-rate independance. Thus, the ability to work in HD.

Yes, but I looked at their presentations through web (great service!) and I saw and heard only that it will do that. In the news it's written it will do that.
BUT I haven't seen a single HD or HDV clip as an example nor to speak about a mix of SD and HD...
So what's the problem? Is it still in a beta stage, not been able to edit HD just now? I was expecting some *examples* of that, anyway.
Or they don't have HD stuff to edit? :D

Also for the VT5 I hope to *see* something there in Vegas. I hope this, also because it seems odd NT has only a single product to show. Maybe they focus their market on Tricaster now?

robewil
04-26-2006, 11:59 AM
In the demo "pod" and at the Newtek party, they showed SD and HD clips together. It works even though the software is in beta.

The reason you're not hearing too much about VT[5] is that the biggest thing in VT[5] is that it includes SpeedEdit.

As for Tricaster, it has clearly become a hugely successful product for Newtek. My guess is that it was Newtek's biggest profit maker last year. I believe it surpassed their expectations in sales. They are trying to build on that success. This was very clear to anybody who was at the Newtek party.

Bill_Evans
04-26-2006, 12:00 PM
Yes, but I looked at their presentations through web (great service!) and I saw and heard only that it will do that. In the news it's written it will do that.
BUT I haven't seen a single HD or HDV clip as an example nor to speak about a mix of SD and HD...

Also for the VT5 I hope to *see* something there in Vegas. I hope this, also because it seems odd NT has only a single product to show. Maybe they focus their market on Tricaster now?

Just got back from Vegas, both of the demos I sat through for Speededit showed HD and SD clips together as did the demo at the Newtek party on Sunday night. Additional features of VT5, multiple DSKs, the color correction stuff others have talked about, CG is fully 16:9 compliant now. Speededit was very impressive even for someone who has VT now and I'm definitely going to do the upgrade to get my free standalone copy very soon.
-Bill

FranK10
04-26-2006, 12:20 PM
Well, I'm glad to hear from you that you saw with your eyes the editing of HD-SD. This is a great thing!

But I'm a bit surprised they miss to emphasize this in the demos at NAB. Because one thing is to say a program can do this, another thing is to clearly show this at people looking at you.
IMHO they should have said during the demo: now I load this HD clip (of 1920x1080 or the actual clip res, and show clearly the HD clip) and now I load this SD one...
Then also explain more the process of the scaling in output and other details...
This could be a lot more impressive demo!

Overall, I saw lot of standard editing tools (good tools, btw) present also in the TED, more than these new features.

For the market of Tricaster I agree it's a very good product and it's obvious NT pushes it.
But showing also one or two beautiful SX-84 or a shiny new SDI box... Well it's NAB, no?

FranK10
04-26-2006, 01:55 PM
I've just saw the last demos from NAB and Don made exactly what I was asking here. He showed clearly different res and different format clips, also superimposed.
So this is great job! Good work on this NT. :thumbsup: