PDA

View Full Version : Rail extrude

Sarford
04-25-2006, 05:03 PM
Anyone know if the rail extrude is bugged in LW 8.3?
I've made lika a hundert different curves, open and closed ones, and whenever I hit rail extrude the polygon-to-be-extruded just disapears (becomming a poly-gone ;).
It only works if I uncheck oriented, but thats not the effect I want.

It works only every now and then and I can't seem to figure out what I'm doing wrong.
- I place points the way I want to have the curve, making sure not to place too many.
- I select the points in the right way one after the other.
- I select "make open/closed curve"
- I make a new polygon in a new layer
- I place the polygone perpendicular to the curve and at the beginning of the curve.
- I put the curve in the background layer and the polygon in the foreground layer
- I select rail extrude (with oriented selected) and select ok
- the polygon disapears...

very strange. Does this works better in LW 8.5? I never bothered to upgrade to 8.5 since I bought Light Wave a couple of months ago and expected LW 9.0 to be out soon.

Wonderpup
04-26-2006, 07:26 AM
Its worth checking that the polys on your extruded shape aren't flipped- this could make them seem to vanish. Try hitting the 'f' after the extrude.

Sarford
04-26-2006, 10:56 AM
Thanks for your reply Wonderpup, too bad thats not the problem, the poly realy vanishes, hitting 'f' or 'a' doesn't change anything.

I just found out that if I place the point by hand (with the point-tool) I experience less problems than if I copy the points from a shape in a new layer and then make a curve of it. This tool keeps boggling me

Wonderpup
04-26-2006, 03:27 PM
There is a third party rail extrude available for free that's reckoned to be less fussy than the native version- as usual the name escapes me (getting old!) try a search on flay.com- it's out there somewhere!

Sarford
04-26-2006, 03:34 PM
Good Idear Wonderpup, Ill look it up, thanks for ur advice :)