PDA

View Full Version : .MAX to .lws translator please?

ShawnStovall
04-24-2006, 03:46 PM
Does anyone know of a place where I can get a .MAX to .lws translator for free? I just bought a $60(bought it for $35!:thumbsup:)book on programming video games and the CD that came with it has some 3ds Max files that include the .Max scene file. Is it possible to change .MAX to .lws?

DragonFist
04-24-2006, 04:54 PM
The only .max translator is the demo version of Max

ShawnStovall
04-24-2006, 06:04 PM
Hmmm....interesting.... is their a free 3D Program that can view and edit this information?

Triple G
04-24-2006, 06:30 PM
The Max scene file format is a proprietary format. There are translators out there (Deep Exploration and Polytrans are the two most common for this), but they cost money and require a native copy of Max installed to perform the operation.

kmaas
04-24-2006, 07:37 PM
Yeah - I looked into writing a translator, but the only file format spec I could find on the MAX format was an incomplete reverse engineered spec. So I didn't write one.

The whole MAX format's a total pain. I'd like to be able to use some of the free MAX models out there, but I don't have MAX, so I can't. So much for inter-operability. Thank you Autodesk.

cresshead
04-24-2006, 09:33 PM
they're in business for 'business'....that's why they are so big,successfull etc...

if you need a .max model they'd like you to buy either max or viz!

'when in rome':)

you could say the same of xsi, zbrush,silo,maya[to a lesser degree], houdini or cinema4d format too

just happens that 3ds max has the largest userbase so many of their users dont's bother to 'export' to another format as there's so many actual max users who can load a .max file

still doesn't help YOU:stumped:

if your desparate i can load the max file and export a fbx or obj for you...

DragonFist
04-24-2006, 09:35 PM
or download the 30 day demo of Max and export all those models you downloaded and delete Max.

It's what I did. :D

cresshead
04-24-2006, 09:41 PM
yeah...but that depands on wether you've ran the demo in the past or not [gone past your 30day trial]

also remember that it maybe prudent to also get the viz demo as well...this will give you a second tial period to be able to load .max scenes....

i'd also wager that maya files will be loadable in max 9 come siggraph and probably the other way round too with max files being loaded in maya 8...it's high on autodesks 'to do list' that their 2 flagship 3d app ca talk to one another simply as soon as thay can....

rzick
06-14-2006, 09:43 AM
Sirs,

Does MAX export as a .lws file (with all of the motion data) or does it only export the objects?

Reason I'm asking is that I have both .3ds and .max files and am intrested particularly in getting the Studio Max scene files correctly imported into LW Layout without having to re-do all the keyframing. Anyone know if Deep Exploration (3D Exploration) will do the scene conversion, keeping the motion data?

Rpz

NanoGator
06-14-2006, 11:09 AM
.fbx?

cresshead
06-14-2006, 01:06 PM
yeah FBX or point oven is the best way to move animations/camera/lights f rom max to lightsnack:lwicon:

Exception
06-15-2006, 06:08 AM
I can never get fbx to work... lw crashes when using it...

There's a good reason why max canot be opened in other programs, and that is because it actually is a snapshot of the tate of different tools rather than a description of the final object. So all max tools need to be present to recreate the object. That's why it won't work otherwise.