PDA

View Full Version : Speed Edit / VT[5] question

billmi
04-24-2006, 08:52 AM
With resolution independence, how are DVEs handled?

Do existing SD DVEs upscale to HD resolutions in Swicther/Speed Edit?
Are HD resolution DVEs supported (both in switcher/Speed Edit?)

Twrch
04-24-2006, 03:34 PM
Does SpeedIt do encoding? Or, if one is starting from scratch, does one have to get another product to transfer footage from tape to hard drive?

If it does encoding, what codecs. If it doesn't, what products would my fellow NewTekians recommend?

Brian Peterson
04-24-2006, 03:41 PM
Does SpeedIt do encoding? Or, if one is starting from scratch, does one have to get another product to transfer footage from tape to hard drive?

If it does encoding, what codecs. If it doesn't, what products would my fellow NewTekians recommend?

It wouldn't be much of a nle if it couldn't capture, now would it? I'm sure it has a capture feature. What i'm more interest in is if there is a cg in there? I've studied the screen pics and I can't see anything that indicates cg. But I can't believe that would be missing either.

Anyone know if pdf versions of the brochures at NAB are available online?

Jim Capillo
04-24-2006, 03:45 PM
There are many codecs, including

.avi
.dv
.rtv
.mpeg
.mpg
.mpe
.mpv
.m1v
.mp2*
.mpa
.mpv2
.mp2v

SpeedEDIT is resolution independent.... read about it HERE (http://www.newtek.com/speededit/)

Twrch
04-24-2006, 06:03 PM
The talking head on newtektv said it has "tight" integration with 3DArsenal (aka LightWave w/ a wizard).

robewil
04-25-2006, 12:24 AM
There are many codecs, including

.avi
.dv
.rtv
.mpeg
.mpg
.mpe
.mpv
.m1v
.mp2*
.mpa
.mpv2
.mp2v

SpeedEDIT is resolution independent.... read about it HERE (http://www.newtek.com/speededit/)

It also supports MPEG-4, Quicktime, and Flash video. Paul Lara told me they integrated a third-party encoding program (I forget the name, it start with "F").

Mediaworx
04-25-2006, 06:17 AM
It also supports MPEG-4, Quicktime, and Flash video. Paul Lara told me they integrated a third-party encoding program (I forget the name, it start with "F").

If it starts with "F", ask Kikki.

Jim Capillo
04-25-2006, 06:36 AM
If it starts with "F", ask Kikki.

:cursin:

ROTFLMAO ! :lol:

wvp
04-25-2006, 07:14 AM
It wouldn't be much of a nle if it couldn't capture, now would it? I'm sure it has a capture feature. What i'm more interest in is if there is a cg in there? I've studied the screen pics and I can't see anything that indicates cg. But I can't believe that would be missing either.

Anyone know if pdf versions of the brochures at NAB are available online?
Brian I do believe speededit is simply an upgrade of the existing VTedit. In other words, at bare minimum speededit includes the existing CG post in the control tree.
I too am wondering what speededit (heck VT5 for that matter) includes besides the frame rez/rate independent & HD support. (i.e. any other of the feature requests?).
Do check out the speededit page under products for some info...

billmi
04-25-2006, 07:15 AM
:-)

OK, can anyone in Vegas get an answer to the original questions?

Twrch
04-25-2006, 02:25 PM
The demo at NAB is running on 16 cores.
http://www.newtek.com/news/releases/04-24-06b.html

How many should us mere mortals have for acceptable realtime?:bowdown:

Tarheel Cougar
04-25-2006, 02:56 PM
I missed part of the Speededit demo and haven't seen anything about it on the literature, does it have built in multi-camera capability?

Jared

FranK10
04-25-2006, 03:49 PM
I don't know if it has, but from what they have showed, I haven't seen that feature nor I read of this in the news.
So I think Speededit hasn't this feature built-in.

Dan Hong
04-25-2006, 05:36 PM
Hey Bill,
Just leaving Vegas. A few thoughts, on what I've seen...
SpeedEdit is the best parts of all of the software that I use. I don't know who said that the system is running on 16 cores. The demo that Paul gave me was on a laptop with a dualcore 2.1 with 2 gigs of ram and no raid attached. The DVE thing looks like its going to have a new engine behind it, or at the least a variety of DVEs available in HD/SD/PAL/NTSC flavors, but definately NOT up-resed SD DVEs. A lot of whats happening with SpeedEdit looks like a foreshadowing of some really sick stuff to come. The CG is handled through a beefed up CGPost that appears really stable. Andrew and his crew have gone way over and above what I could have hoped for. Truly, if I didn't see another new product from NewTek for another 2 years, I'd still be a happy camper. Fortunately, this new set of products, VT5/Tricaster Pro(and beyond)/Lightwave 9/SpeedEdit, will only fuel/fund the ubergeeks at NewTek. I'm still a little concerned that I can upgrade to VT5/SpeedEdit/Lightwave9 for under $1000. I mean, seriously, I'm always afraid to go to the mailbox and find a bill from NewTek for $60,000 for the great time I've had for the last 15 years (I'd still have to pay it, because I'm not giving it back!)
Those of you who know me, know that I've always been a REALLY big NewTek fan, but those of you who are on the fence need to get off. The train is leaving the station, it's time to get on or get run over.

Bobt
04-25-2006, 06:16 PM
Hey guys leaving Vegs at the air port.
Speed Edit looks fanstastic. Its time to reach for the plastic.
If you have VT2,3 or 4 its time for 5. I have not been so stoked about release in a long time. If seeing is believing I saw and what I did see was
good!

Bob

PS I was told that my plugins should work with only minor changes. YEAH!

Bob

novidiot
04-25-2006, 06:27 PM
Hi this is my first post in these parts of nle land. i am a free lance producer/ editor and cameraman mostly for broadcast and cable.

I have been editing in edit* cinegy and avid liquid.

i like sb editing using cinegy extreme but it does not support hdv and i do hdv editing in avid liquid but its sb interface is a joke. so up comes speededit.

I am really interested in this speededit but the info is so lacking. it seems to be directed to the vt guys.

i would like to know more about speededit's storyboard interface and work flow but its not even presented in the images despite the headline.

what can you say about this speed edit.

thanks

is a demo available?

wvp
04-25-2006, 06:44 PM
Novidiot -
speededit is just now being announced at NAB, it will be available in the comming months. It is based on the VT4 module, VTedit (or TED).
The only official info I know of can be found by selecting the product tab at the top and then speededit. There are a couple screen shots of it. You can also click on the "NAB" graphic on the home page and you will see (during NAB hours) Newtek demoing live. They are showing several items, speededit being one of them.
Since speededit is based on VT4 (only better) you could check out some of the info on the VT4 product pages. You can also look at the VT4 manual:
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/pub/VideoToaster/Downloads/VT4.pdf
I can tell you as a long time user that the editor is very fast. My office has 2 FCPs and 2 VT4s. One of our Final cuts is on the fastest pre Intel computer you could get. They still render anything beyond simple stuff. Storyboard editing is pretty simple & quick. I would definately recommemd checking this software out. I am sure in the comming months there will be tours in your area where you can see a demo.

inquisitive
04-25-2006, 10:51 PM
So what are all the features that VT5 (software) has that VT4.6 doesnt?

Keith Nealy
04-25-2006, 11:27 PM
That's the 64 thousand dollar question.

Maybe they are being sneaky and not saying anything until later.

Although people who have been there should have said something by now. Dan Hong said it was great but didn't elaborate.

Aloha,

Keith :cool:

geoff
04-26-2006, 12:01 AM
Hi all
Can anybody confirm that the VT5 software upgrade will be able to capture HD with the origial VT1 card that we purchased (running Version 3 software at the moment) via the VT SDI I/O card?
Not too fussed about realtime editing, just the ability to be able to capture HD and then output onto a drive..

Current spec
3 gig P4
1 gig ram
64 meg quadro card
4 x 120 gig ide drives on a 3ware card
Original VT1 card (I think) running VT3 software
VT SDI I/O card

Norman
04-26-2006, 06:17 AM
That your plugins will work with only minor modifications is great news, Bob. I was especially concerned with Bob's MultiCam. :thumbsup:

wvp
04-26-2006, 07:23 AM
Hi all
Can anybody confirm that the VT5 software upgrade will be able to capture HD with the origial VT1 card that we purchased (running Version 3 software at the moment) via the VT SDI I/O card?
Not too fussed about realtime editing, just the ability to be able to capture HD and then output onto a drive..

Current spec
3 gig P4
1 gig ram
64 meg quadro card
4 x 120 gig ide drives on a 3ware card
Original VT1 card (I think) running VT3 software
VT SDI I/O card
I know you can capture (transfer) HD via firewire, the VTx card is not used in this case. You should not have a problem using the VT1 card. You will have problems editing with a single P4 and the 64 mb video - it will definately be slow. Check out the system requirements (http://www.newtek.com/vt/requirements.php), these are offcial for VT5.

geoff
04-26-2006, 07:30 AM
Hi Jeff
Editing as I said isn't a priority.. It will just be case of finding out if we can use the machine to capture via SDI from a sony HDW-M2000P HDCAM deck
at HD res without having to down scale to SD like we do at the moment

DiscreetFX
04-26-2006, 07:34 AM
Bob is right SpeedEDIT rocks, the time to upgrade is now.

Jim_C
04-26-2006, 07:43 AM
Hopefully once all is back in San Antonio and rested, someone can type up a nice 4 vs 5 feature update list like we got with the 3 vs 4.

Everything still seems kinda in the dark...

Dan Hong
04-26-2006, 10:00 AM
As far as capturing HD SDI, I'm not sure if there is going to be a software upgrade for the current SDI card to capture HD. The VT5 solution sounds like an external multi input/output SDI device that will require a VTpro card (the one with the 15 pin audio connectors).

BrentYoung
04-26-2006, 04:20 PM
So for the VT5 upgrade price we get 2 licences for Speed Edit? One for the Toaster and an additional stand alone version? Besides SDI are there any other upgrades or bug fixes that VT5 gives me over 4.6?

This is all very confusing, why dosen't Newtek just post the specs for VT5 and the complete specs for Speed Edit? I'm sure they are written down somewhere. Are they not sure what the changes will be? Do they derrive some sort of super secret marketing strategy from our guessing? If they have wizbang features and new versions I would think that they would want to tell everyone now while the video world is listening.

IMHO

kleima
04-26-2006, 04:38 PM
Neither product are supposed to be shipping till summer, so the feature list probably hasn't been finalized (except the major ones like HD).

ssdcinc
04-26-2006, 05:51 PM
So for the VT5 upgrade price we get 2 licences for Speed Edit? One for the Toaster and an additional stand alone version? Besides SDI are there any other upgrades or bug fixes that VT5 gives me over 4.6?

This is all very confusing, why dosen't Newtek just post the specs for VT5 and the complete specs for Speed Edit? I'm sure they are written down somewhere. Are they not sure what the changes will be? Do they derrive some sort of super secret marketing strategy from our guessing? If they have wizbang features and new versions I would think that they would want to tell everyone now while the video world is listening.

IMHO

...from what I gleamed on the boards "SPEED EDIT" is T5 Unbundled
(and problery the new name for TED), so what NT is saying (my opnion)
is that when you pruchase T5 upgrade you are going to get a license for
an UNBUNDLED version of the stand alone SPEED EDIT. (aka T5 with
the toaster board needed as the key)

NT correct me if I'm wrong, or course one can assume that the stand alone
version will have some slight differences especially since it doesnt
have the VT card for inputs.

robewil
04-26-2006, 06:02 PM
NT correct me if I'm wrong, or course one can assume that the stand alone version will have some slight differences especially since it doesnt have the VT card for inputs.VT-Edit or SpeedEdit don't have inherent capture abilities so it doesn't matter what capture card you use. I'm not Newtek but I'm pretty sure there is no difference between the SpeedEdit inside the VT Suite and the stand-alone version.

ted
04-26-2006, 07:02 PM
Before anyone gets upset or excited about what VT5 does or doesn't do, or why NewTek isn't publishing all the details, take a deep breath.

They have put so much in for NAB I'm guessing the details of the official build is NOT finalized.
On the floor I saw Tim and Andrew still welcoming input on what is needed and on two occasions they seemed to be considering additional features. Gotta love these guys! :thumbsup:

So don't get your feathers ruffled by rumors. Don't believe everything you hear and don't expect an "official feature list" until NewTek feels they need to ship it. They will be altering things until midnight before shipping.

I can hardly wait to play with what I saw though. :D

novidiot
04-26-2006, 07:17 PM
Saw the demo today (not all ) but sufficient to say that it looks to be a killer app. The color correction tools are as i saw very good, the SB work flow and some goodies are superb and very promisssing.

I will see if i could catch the whole nab demo tommorrow.

About not having capture tools, i tuned in when the demo was talking about media management and how to order your material but i think that selling a $495. stand alone nle app that does not capture does not make sense and if it could capture 720 hdv at 24p and edit 24p it will have an ample market that only edius at the moment serves.

Hope it's all it claims to be.

cheers

Brian Peterson
04-26-2006, 09:12 PM
...but i think that selling a $495. stand alone nle app that does not capture does not make sense

Okay, where the heck is this coming from, that Speededit can't capture a video stream? Was it in the webcast? This is at least the 3rd time I've read this.

I mean c'mon releasing a nle without capture capabilities is just plain stupid and I don't think Newtek is that stupid! Can anyone confirm that Speededit can't capture? And if so then we need to start flooding the feature request email with emails.

Anyone what is the story?

novidiot
04-26-2006, 09:23 PM
They have a short review on newtek at nab and include some stunning info about speededit if its true wow , but it also states that its going into beta so its still technically speaking vaporware.

hoping
novidiot

Jim_C
04-26-2006, 09:34 PM
I wouldn't think SE would have any way to 'capture' analog video. That's basically the VT5s gig since it has the break out cables, but isn't the rest (DV,HDV,HD etc) basically a firewire transfer?

I 'think' there is a 3rd party app included for FW transfer of footage to hard drive. Pretty sure I remember reading that somewhere here last couple days.

Bobt
04-26-2006, 10:08 PM
>So what are all the features that VT5 (software) has that VT4.6 doesnt?
OK basically Speed Edit will live in VT5 so it will have all the new features
that Speed Edit has plus it will be outputing to VT in SD in realtime even if
the input is SD. That will be good enough for a while as I cant deliver HD
content at the moment anyway and I could always render out HD
and send it to some device if I needed to.

The other fun thing I heard is multiple DSK's for the switcher.
That should help.

Bob

Brian Peterson
04-26-2006, 10:09 PM
I wouldn't think SE would have any way to 'capture' analog video. That's basically the VT5s gig since it has the break out cables, but isn't the rest (DV,HDV,HD etc) basically a firewire transfer?

I 'think' there is a 3rd party app included for FW transfer of footage to hard drive. Pretty sure I remember reading that somewhere here last couple days.

:stumped: No sub $1000 nle comes with the ability to capture analog video. Vegas, Premier Pro, Final Cut Pro etc all rely on firwire if you haven't purchased a seperate most of the time 3rd party capture card. So if this is what the complaint is about, what is the problem? Speededit is no different than the competiton. Is this what you are talking about novidiot?

tmon
04-27-2006, 01:58 AM
I was fortunate enough to get a chance to talk to Andrew briefly and I attempted to reintroduce the issue of timecode support....good luck to me and others on that one, hehehe. It's clear that I have a lot more "input" that I'm going to have to give Andrew...

SpeedEdit is clearly a good step forward for NewTek. Most welcome is that it gives present users HD options so they may not be forced to jump ship. Having said that, there have been other similarly-priced options on the market already and it would be worthwhile for people to review the features and give the NewTek crew as much input as they can for SpeedEdit. Competition is good, but objectively speaking, you don't win the fight by denying the options that potential buyers have. I wish NewTek all the luck in winning marketshare at this level and beyond.

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/us/Products/Consumer%2BProducts/Advanced%2BVideo/Liquid%2BEdition/Avid%2BLiquid%2B7.htm
http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/Products/ShowProduct.asp?PID=965
http://www.canopuscorp.com/products/EDIUSPro/index.php

Mediaworx
04-27-2006, 04:12 AM
Er, I may be outaline here Taiji, but posting links to competitive products on a company owned forum is freakin rude in my book. What's your point dude.

SBowie
04-27-2006, 06:17 AM
Normally that would be true - people often try to usurp a forum with subtle comments and links intended to lure people away. I'm quite certain, however, that Taiji's is just pointing out that a keen awareness of some of the things the competition is doing can be useful (imitation being the sincerest form of flattery.)

As an example, at NAB I heard quite a few prospective SpeedEDIT users wistfully noting the proliferation of multicam tools in NLE offerings from other developers ... food for thoguht. I'm quite sure that's what Taiji meant.

Jim Capillo
04-27-2006, 07:23 AM
..... I'm quite sure that's what Taiji meant.

Not to pick sides here, but I do understand what Mick means. Over at the Globalstreams forum, posting competitors info and/or websites would bring a stern warning on the first "offense" and expulsion on the second. I've seen it.

Thank goodness the boys at Newtek are not that paranoid.....:dance:

Mediaworx
04-27-2006, 07:45 AM
Not to pick sides here, but I do understand what Mick means. Over at the Globalstreams forum, posting competitors info and/or websites would bring a stern warning on the first "offense" and expulsion on the second. I've seen it.

Thank goodness the boys at Newtek are not that paranoid.....:dance:

My point exactly. I'm a member of several professional product forums and most moderators would have deleted that post and issued a warning. It's extremely easy to find info on any product, no need to post it here.

SBowie
04-27-2006, 09:38 AM
Sure, I'm not quibbling about the links - editing them out is not likely a bad idea. Just pointing out - in case anyone might have thought so - that it is very unlikely Taiji was intentionally 'subversive.'

Tarheel Cougar
04-27-2006, 10:12 AM
I think the point he is making is well taken. I think the VT and Tricaster are great for live but prefer other edit software because I do a lot of laptop editing and just like the workflow and certain features of the others, better. I was wondering if Speededit could influence me to rethink that... but I often use features native to the "others" (such as multicam, create DVD from timeline) that I do not see in Speededit, yet, sometimes for a lower price. (Not complaining about the price, but would hate to give up features). Would be happy to list feature requests, once a full list of specs is available.

novidiot
04-27-2006, 10:37 AM
Unfortunatly or not there is no swiss knife of NLE, if speed edit comes through as it promises then i will have 3 nle's and will use them accordingly

exp.

1-speed edit forediting broadcast projects
2-Liquid for multicam,dvd and smartsound
3- cinegy for animation and composting

All of these 3 (two at the moment) are great cutters but speed edit promises something no other offers and in broadcasting- speed. speed is everything in broadcasting

I have always looked up to newtek and its editor but since i did not need the rest of vt i never purchased

Now its different and if it is at least what it states i am in and i am sure many will jump in.

TRCC
04-27-2006, 10:40 AM
you guys are funny... it's still April (late), summer is still a few months away but the arguments are brewing over speculation, the product is just going into beta, not production, take a deep breath... it'll be ok.

luke

tfrank
04-27-2006, 10:41 AM
Just got back to work from NAB last night. SpeedEdit is great! My only issues with it is the ability to get audio and video into it. Firewire is the only way right now. I need a way to import audio/video directly from a Beta Deck. There seems to be a place under the "capture" panel, but there is no deck control. IMHO, the addition of the formentioned ability would take SpeedEdit from great to fantastic at the published price point.

Dan Hong
04-27-2006, 11:16 AM
Wow,
I'm totally blown away with how people freak out about stuff. As far as the analog video input issue goes...how do you get video into Premiere or Final Cut or Avid. Go give Avid $495 and tell them you want two copies of their best High Def editing software with the ability to capture analog video in. I don't think you'll get too far. And for VT users (any VT users, any version) you'll get all this for $595. Everybody has been crying about the ability to have multiple DSKs, now we have it, plus two copies of SpeedEdit, the ability to switch HD-SDI and SD sources (yes, you will have to buy an HD-SDI breakout box), but no new VT Board. Ask the AVID geeks how much it cost them to go from Standard to High DEF SDI (only ask about a single input though...if you ask them about 8 channel HD SDI switching they'll cry like little school girls). Everybody chill out, we have the most devistating arsenal (sorry Don and Ralph) of video production tools known to man. If you're not succesfull in the video business with a VT based system, maybe you should look at something other than your tools. NewTek rocks so we can roll. That's my two cents worth.

tmon
04-27-2006, 11:18 AM
Er, I may be outaline here Taiji, but posting links to competitive products on a company owned forum is freakin rude in my book. What's your point dude.

Yeah, I was worried about that. Steve's right. I am coming from the point of someone who has been a loyal NewTek customer for ten years now. I suffered through the nightmare that was Media 100 iFinish V80 and the horrible disaster that was the Sony EditStation while waiting for NewTek to finish "VTNT." I've been a bumbling LightWave 3D user for that time too.

SpeedEdit is a huge advance for NewTek, IMHO. It has the potential to really
broaden's NewTek's presence in the market. There are several of us who have had to, for various reasons, turn to other NLE's/systems over the past year, but have held on to our NewTek products because of NewTek's innovation, fantastic customer support and user community. I am one of those people. I want NewTek to succeed. To do that, it seems that it would help to know what the competition is doing, even if it is marketing hype.

Having hopefully clarified that, I probably didn't need to post links, but had started to survey the terrain myself, and threw them out there for the benefit of critique/discussion. It wasn't meant to advocate dollars going to the competition. I'm fine with editing them out.

Now, about that timecode support issue...hey luke, "arguments and speculation" is what makes hanging out on the boards fun!

;)

So, how do I get those links edited out?

tfrank
04-27-2006, 11:33 AM
Wow,
I'm totally blown away with how people freak out about stuff. As far as the analog video input issue goes...how do you get video into Premiere or Final Cut or Avid. Go give Avid $495 and tell them you want two copies of their best High Def editing software with the ability to capture analog video in.

Ease up there Dan. As I said, SpeedEdit is a great product. All I am suggesting is that it would make it even a better product if I could get analog video and audio in. Analog is still a big part of my world, and will continue to be so for a long time.

robewil
04-27-2006, 11:49 AM
Ease up there Dan. As I said, SpeedEdit is a great product. All I am suggesting is that it would make it even a better product if I could get analog video and audio in. Analog is still a big part of my world, and will continue to be so for a long time.There's always VT[5] which gives you that and a lot more. There are many inexpensive capture devices out there. Even NVidia and ATI are including such capabilities in their graphic cards.

Rich Deustachio
04-27-2006, 11:53 AM
.....Everybody has been crying about the ability to have multiple DSKs, now we have it,.....

We do? Never saw or hear it mentioned in all of the streamed NAB presentations.

Just the ability to edit HD and Quicktime and all of the other formats on the same timeline is worth the upgrade price, not to mention the improved color correction and othe features added.

tfrank
04-27-2006, 12:42 PM
There's always VT[5] which gives you that and a lot more. There are many inexpensive capture devices out there. Even NVidia and ATI are including such capabilities in their graphic cards.

After my one-on-one demo on SpeeEdit, the understanding that got at NAB is that SpeedEdit needs some code work to deal with capture cards/devices. Paul Laura was going to talk to Andrew to see if they could make it happen. I know that VT5 can do everything, but their are some applications in our building that don't need the "full blown" capabilities of VT5.

tmon
04-27-2006, 12:50 PM
There are so many cool things about SpeedEdit that I saw at NAB (rez independence, HD, HDV, more import and encoding options, etc), but the fact that it creates a new tier in the business product line is what is really exciting, software tweaks aside.

People will now be able to get into the NewTek line for a lot less money, and presumably have the option to upgrade up to a full "Studio in a Box" later.
And what an entry it will be: "The World's Fastest Nonlinear Editor!"

Likewise with Tricaster and TricasterPro. Two tiers of entry. The product line is diversifying, which means more sales, more income, more R&D....good for all of us!

BTW, re: features, I hear that Bob Tasa's plugins, perhaps with a few mods, will work with SpeedEdit. That means users can have all the cool stuff they want like multicam editing, oasis, bloomFX, etc.

Gee, I'm tempted to post a link to someone's garage here.

;)

Brian Peterson
04-27-2006, 01:02 PM
For those wanting to capture analog with SpeedEdit, maybe Newtek could start selling a bunch of refurb-vtnt cards! Think about it, the drivers are already there, I'm sure Newtek got a bunch of trade-ins when the new card came out for VT4. A bios update that blocks people from turning it into a full blown VTx and Newtek has a solution for those needing analog input for speed edit. :thumbsup: :D :I_Love_Ne

JReble
04-27-2006, 01:27 PM
I'd say the registration process is good enough for that already. If they make any and/or all of the stock VT cards from the past and present work as analog input/output boards with the standalone SpeedEdit, then they can sell the cards as hardware only add-ons for SpeedEdit, or as SpeedEdit Pro.

Only with proper registration to the card's serial number on the chip and a specific copy of VT5 software would the entire VT suite work on one of those cards. That does certainly open up a market for the earlier cards, but I'd suppose they would want to go with the bigger card if only to support 4 channel audio.

Jim Capillo
04-27-2006, 01:28 PM
Well, I'll need it for a laptop..... how about drivers for something like THIS (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=612720&CatId=1428), or does it even need drivers written?

JReble
04-27-2006, 01:34 PM
Well if it's just composite or Y/C analog into the computer you're looking for, you can always use a Pyro AV link for $150. It obviously won't provide deck control, but if you don't have ieee, it's the cheap and easy way to take any analog signal in via the firewire port and it would already work with SpeedEdit or any other program. A better solution would be an analog input device that allowed capture in RTV or any other format. An analog to DV bridge like the AV link, still requires that all elements be captured in DV.

A question though...I wonder if one can capture DV25 via a firewire connection in SpeedEdit. Seems if the source is firewire, that's pretty much what you record to the computer, at least on capture.

Brian Peterson
04-27-2006, 02:01 PM
Well, I'll need it for a laptop..... how about drivers for something like THIS (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=612720&CatId=1428), or does it even need drivers written?

I didn't look too closely, but that looks like a bridge. If it is a bridge then all it is doing is converting the analog signal into firewire. Speededit would just assume you have a firewire deck hooked up I assume.

Sony used to have a real nice analog to DV bridge I used for a while. Going to have to dig that sucker out and see if I can find a power supply for it.

Does Speededit work with the 6 channel audio? Frankly I hope we can turn that off if it does, what a pain to work with when moving audio into third party apps.

Still think the refurb VTNT cards is a great idea, Newtek makes money off of what is otherwise junk and it's an answer to several concerns here.:thumbsup:

Bobt
04-27-2006, 07:37 PM
VT5 is for edit and capture. No worries there.

Bob

Bobt
04-27-2006, 07:40 PM
OOPs pushed the post too quickly.
Speed Edit is for my laptop. Or for a workstation.
Now if I can only install a fiber network at home..
Then I can have one file server hooked to my machines.
One captures etc the other edits and renders to DVD.

Here is a cool thing I saw a 199K Quantel box do.
The were able to start editing while they were capturing.
NOW that was pretty cool for long form folks.
Bob

ScorpioProd
04-28-2006, 01:42 AM
There are plenty of high quality analog to digital converters on the market, including high-end ones supporting component analog in and out.

SpeedEdit in a stand-alone mode currently accepts all input via firewire. Hook one of these puppies up and you can capture and export all the analog you want.

Jim Capillo
04-28-2006, 05:11 AM
Hook one of these puppies up and you can capture and export all the analog you want.

No firewire on my laptop, Eugene. Do I come in by USB or PCMIA ?:stumped:

Bobt
04-28-2006, 05:17 AM
Buy a PCMCIA Firewire adapter. They are cheap.

Bob

Jim Capillo
04-28-2006, 05:24 AM
Buy a PCMCIA Firewire adapter. They are cheap.

Bob

Is the PCMIA slot faster than the USB, Bob?

JReble
04-28-2006, 05:54 AM
It's faster than USB, yes. You can probably find a PCM card that is an actual analog to DV bridge all in one, but I'm not certain of that.

Jim Capillo
04-28-2006, 06:39 AM
It's faster than USB, yes. You can probably find a PCM card that is an actual analog to DV bridge all in one, but I'm not certain of that.

Weird.... did a Google search for PCMCIA analogue DV bridge and it comes up with just big boxy interfaces. I'll check eBay to see if anything's listed there.

Original1
04-28-2006, 08:07 AM
Weird.... did a Google search for PCMCIA analogue DV bridge and it comes up with just big boxy interfaces. I'll check eBay to see if anything's listed there.

try google search on PCMCIA Firewire adapter

maplins site in UK

Combo USB 2.0 & IEEE 1394a 4 Port PCMCIA Laptop Card Information:
2 USB 2.0 ports and two Firewire ports
Compliant with IEEE 1394a Specification, Data Transfer 100/200/400 Mbps
Driverless under Windows ME/2000/XP
Supplied with USB power cable
Supports PC & MAC

or

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6875059555

Jim Capillo
04-28-2006, 08:19 AM
try google search on PCMCIA Firewire adapter

maplins site in UK

Combo USB 2.0 & IEEE 1394a 4 Port PCMCIA Laptop Card Information:
2 USB 2.0 ports and two Firewire ports
Compliant with IEEE 1394a Specification, Data Transfer 100/200/400 Mbps
Driverless under Windows ME/2000/XP
Supplied with USB power cable
Supports PC & MAC

or

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6875059555

Thanks! What's the exchange rate for 7.49 ? They usually list it there, but not on this one, for some reason....

KSTAR
04-28-2006, 10:44 AM
Does SpeedEdit support multicam editing? If not Bob will your multicam plugin work, and will there be any new additional features?

Original1
04-28-2006, 01:45 PM
Thanks! What's the exchange rate for 7.49 ? They usually list it there, but not on this one, for some reason....

just under $14

ScorpioProd
04-28-2006, 02:31 PM
Does SpeedEdit support multicam editing? If not Bob will your multicam plugin work, and will there be any new additional features?
Bob's MCE will definately work with it, once he updates it. :)

novidiot
04-28-2006, 02:48 PM
Great to hear there is a multicam plugin available How well multicam work as compared to other

rc

KSTAR
04-28-2006, 02:56 PM
Bob's MCE will definately work with it, once he updates it. :)

Actually what I should have asked was, Does SpeedEdit include multicam editing as a included feature? Or is Bobs plugin the only option? I know SpeedEdit, is still a few months from shipping so the feature list will change, but I have not seen multicam editing listed as a feature yet?

pnelson
04-28-2006, 09:31 PM

Geoff,

SpeedEDIT-VT (The version included with VT[5]) will be able to capture the HD/HDV/ETC via Firewire.

The VT[5] hardware does not support HD i/o.. It is still SD.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

pnelson
04-28-2006, 09:34 PM
Q: So for the VT5 upgrade price we get 2 licences for Speed Edit?
A: yes!! One bundled in the VT[5] and one standalone version.

Q:Besides SDI are there any other upgrades or bug fixes that VT5 gives me over 4.6?
A: Yes.. We are always squashing bugs. .Don't have a list to post yet.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Jim Capillo
04-29-2006, 03:43 AM
just under $14

Thanks !