PDA

View Full Version : Cant Round this half car regardless of my attempts

DiedonD
04-24-2006, 01:04 AM
Hi Guys

If Im asking for some help, it would surely mean that I went through **** in order to do it, and most of basic stuff Ive tried. But still this is a half model of a car, whose edges Im trying to soften with Rounder. But it just wont Round. It constantly speaks of a point being outside the polygons when I couldnt find any. Thus maybe you can have a look at it, and tell me whats wrong.

Attached is a picture and the model itself. Thanks in advance.

colkai
04-24-2006, 02:38 AM
In a nutshell, Rounder doesn't like open edges, to round it, you need to add a slice and not include the last point for rounding.
In this instance though, I'd be more inclined to select the 'side' polys, choose the smooth shift tool, Right-Mouse click to create new geometry, drop the smooth shift tool the m move the new geometry out slightly then tweak the points.
Also, I note your object has some odd situations where it has both a tri and quad in the same area. Plus some errant polys / points.
Gimme 10 mins, I'll upload a revised object for you to review. :)

EDIT: Here you go, just check out each layer name to show the stage. As I say, personally, I found the smoothshift and size faster and easier.

DiedonD
04-24-2006, 04:40 AM
Sorry about the delay in replies. Thats a very handy and cool alternative to do rounder. In fact its a better one that I improvised. I Beveled all the needed polys, and had their points joined Z-wards only. Of course your alternative is far better and easier to use.
But I still need to Round the edges somehow. And having my model there, could you specifically tell me what I should do to make the edges smoother? using Rounder though.

I think that would calm my recent blockade better. Thanks I reallyu appreciate it.

colkai
04-24-2006, 04:58 AM
If you follow the layers 2 through to 5, that will give you what you need, I simply applied rounder with 1 segment (numeric panel), rather than say 3 or 4, which would give you a much smoother curve.

I just assumed you were looking to create your car via subpatches rather than a pure poly version. (if you hit TAB on the last layer, you'll see what I mean).

I'd then stick some bandsaws to give me the look I wanted. If you're going the pure poly route, simple perform the rounder action on layer 3 with 4 rounding polygons and a setting of about 160mm.

Have added an example of a sub-D car based on the geoemtry from the last layer in the previous archive with a little more edting.