PDA

View Full Version : Did the live web cast start yet!

David
04-23-2006, 12:24 PM
What time dose it start, did I miss it, its 2:22 PM New york time now so that is 11:22 AM Las Vagas time:hey:

Rich Deustachio
04-23-2006, 02:29 PM
Probably won't start until Monday.

pnelson
04-24-2006, 03:47 AM
A little secret for you.. We have actually been streaming live from the show floor for the past two days. :)

Just showing pre-edited video until the show starts. See you tomorrow on the web!

ise
04-24-2006, 04:29 AM
Phil,

Can you let us Newtek users in Europe know what times in either GMT or CET you will be live streaming from NAB? Even if its the middle of the night I'm sure some of us will want to see the new products:thumbsup:

Thanks

Rich Deustachio
04-24-2006, 08:20 AM
A little secret for you.. We have actually been streaming live from the show floor for the past two days. :)

Just showing pre-edited video until the show starts. See you tomorrow on the web!

Interesting, I tried viewing the stream several times over the weekend and got nothing.

nevmoor
04-24-2006, 08:22 AM
Is the site still newtektv.com??

SCS5
Same Here??....Nada.............Hope they fix this for the show Monday!

nevmoor
I tried a couple of times and got nothing also.

Jim Capillo
04-24-2006, 08:26 AM
Is the site still newtektv.com??

They have it listed on the site that way, but I'm not getting anything either....:compbeati

Brian Peterson
04-24-2006, 08:42 AM
Nothing coming thru here either.

Jim Capillo
04-24-2006, 08:48 AM
Still only 10 to 8 out there..... :sleeping:

nevmoor
04-24-2006, 09:08 AM
True, but I guess each time I tried this weekend I got nothing. Just getting antsy. I wanna see! I wanna see!!

Brian Peterson
04-24-2006, 09:17 AM
I'm now getting a feed.

Rich Deustachio
04-24-2006, 09:27 AM
Woohoo , streaming is on.....they are playing clips from last year. Can't wait for the 2006 feed to start!

nevmoor
04-24-2006, 09:45 AM
Is it me or is there a server overload from all us trying to watch??
I keep getting "Windows Media Player cannot play the file because the server is busy. Try again later."
I need to calm down!!

Jim Capillo
04-24-2006, 09:51 AM
Is it me or is there a server overload from all us trying to watch??
I keep getting "Windows Media Player cannot play the file because the server is busy. Try again later."
I need to calm down!!

Working OK here ~ not live, though.....

What version of WMP do you have ?

SCS5
04-24-2006, 10:00 AM
I was getting a stream, but only a second here, a second there, not really watchable with the audio going in & out....Server overload???..... now it stopped!.......................................... ..............................Nada!!.............. ................Hello, Newtek..........Anyone Home?

Jim Capillo
04-24-2006, 10:07 AM
That's weird, very smooth here over DSL.....

nevmoor
04-24-2006, 10:09 AM
Working OK here ~ not live, though.....

What version of WMP do you have ?

I'm on Win 2kPro WMP9

I'm sure it's just the load we're putting on the server.

Brian Peterson
04-24-2006, 10:28 AM
On dsl here and it's become very stuttery. Plays for 5 secs and buffers for 20 secs... argh!!!!!!!!!

Jim Capillo
04-24-2006, 10:33 AM
Kiki's on now live demoing Tricaster Pro ~ smooth as glass.... no stuttering.

SCS5
04-24-2006, 10:33 AM
Weird, I'm on a cable modem, faster than DSL, & still not watchable. It keeps buffering, & skipping. Then, I loose it all together:compbeati

Jim Capillo
04-24-2006, 10:44 AM
Weird, I'm on a cable modem, faster than DSL, & still not watchable. It keeps buffering, & skipping. Then, I loose it all together:compbeati

That is strange. I even switched to Windows Media Player and it's fine there, too. :stumped:

Dillon
04-24-2006, 10:44 AM
same here

Jim Capillo
04-24-2006, 10:49 AM
The show looks a lot more professional this year, like a director is actually calling the show !

nevmoor
04-24-2006, 10:56 AM
sigh.........
can't get nuthin. Tricaster Pro you say.........
I hope this year is a huge financial year for NT cuz it equals more and better products for all of us.Live or Post(which I hope gets some of those TC issues fixed)

nevmoor
04-24-2006, 10:57 AM
BTW I am at work where I usually can get great connect speeds...

Jim Capillo
04-24-2006, 11:00 AM
Kiki just mentioned that she is streaming off of the Tricaster to the web. Everything still smooth here..... sorry !

Maybe I'm stealing all the bandwidth ?:twak:

billmi
04-24-2006, 12:24 PM
You must be.

I'm having no trouble watching video off another server, but the feed from NewtekTV keeps giving me about 10 second, buffering, 10 seconds, buffering, and then gets dropped after about a minute. :-(

Jim Capillo
04-24-2006, 12:41 PM
HERE'S A SUPERSECRET LINK (http://cgi.ebay.com/NEWTEK-2-LAYERED-ACRYLIC-TEETH_W0QQitemZ7610989710QQcategoryZ106370QQssPage NameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) to one of Newtek's unannounced products ! Please don't spread it around......:D

nevmoor
04-24-2006, 02:00 PM
Well the screen shots(!!!!) I get look awesome.
I dont understand why Jim is hogging all the bandwidth!!
Too bad we cant choose a lower rate to just be able to listen

Jim Capillo
04-24-2006, 02:47 PM
Boy, Kiki has a real potty mouth...... not the most professional of presentations. :cursin:

Digipronw
04-24-2006, 02:58 PM
I totally agree Jim! Kiki looks very professional, but I can't keep the sound up in the office when she's presenting.

KSTAR
04-24-2006, 03:06 PM
Hmmmmm I was wondering when someone was going to say something. Personally it doesn't offend me, but for sake of the wider viewing audience its a little un nerving. One of the targets for the Tricaster is the church market. which might be turned off by the Sh*t bombs being dropped during the stream. Other than that it looks great, and she is doing an awesome job with her presentations. Maybe someone at NAB should have a "beep" .wav file in the Tricaster ready to execute :tongue:

nevmoor
04-24-2006, 03:09 PM
Agree.
I couldnt get the feed for a while but the first thing I heard when I tried from another network drop should have been censored. Not nitpicking but that talk is a little to much for a sales presentation.

Rich Deustachio
04-24-2006, 03:24 PM
In Kiki's defense, there is a lot of s*hit going on in that box, but I was taken back a bit by the comment. Well it is at LasVegas not exactly the church capital of the world unless your getting married by Elvis.

Brian Peterson
04-24-2006, 03:37 PM
what alternative stream links are there. I keep getting server busy off of newtek's site.

Tarheel Cougar
04-24-2006, 06:23 PM
:stumped:
In Kiki's defense, there is a lot of s*hit going on in that box, but I was taken back a bit by the comment. Well it is at LasVegas not exactly the church capital of the world unless your getting married by Elvis.
I didn't think you guys were serious till I heard a g-d within the first 5 minutes of streaming I saw today, can't imagine the church crowd would like that!

Snosrap
04-24-2006, 06:53 PM
Kikki is not at all professional. Right. Using foul language. Right. Total lack of respect for the learning impaired. Right. This is only my opinion, but she SUCKS! Right. I guess what happens in Vegas doesn’t necessarily stay in Vegas. Right. She could have very well cost Newtek untold sales to the church market. Right Big mistake. Right.

Cheers
Snos. Right.

P.S. Like I'm Right. Right.

SCS5
04-24-2006, 07:00 PM
I've done more than my share of demo's ( 6 years on proprietary 3D software) at NAB. Back in the days when Kikki was sitting in a chair by herself demoing the Amiga Toaster, & the one thing that turned people off about Newtek then & now is that they were trying to be " cool" by halfassing their demo's. Allot of people just walked away shaking their heads. You'd think someone at the booth would have enough common sense to say "Kikki, cool it your turning people off! we're not selling this to high school kids" ..............Halfassed Demo's make it look like a halfassed product! I would have though they'd have figured this out by now???................ Oh well.................... I wish them the best!

Jim Capillo
04-24-2006, 08:13 PM
I would doubt you'd see that kind of juvenile presentation anywhere else on the NAB floor..... think Avid would stand for the use of foul language in their demos? How about Sony? Panasonic?

Big deal, Kiki knows all the swear words..... she's a rebel ~ whatever. She is also an adult woman, not a teenage girl - the latter is who you'd expect that kind of trash talk from.

She is supposed to exude professionalism to promote the product. In effect, her foul mouth is doing quite the opposite.... it makes the whole organization sound like a bunch of nitwit kids.

Around the fourth time I heard her say "sh!t" in one context or another I just thought to myself that she's lucky that it's Tim and not Jim in charge - or she'd be on the bus home.

kltv
04-24-2006, 09:22 PM
Kiki hasn't really bothered me, but I did notice it. The first time I heard something I was a little surprised. That being said, I'm not sure I would talk like that when I'm pitching my products. I'm more disappointed that I have seen any of VT[5] in the demos, other than SpeedEdit. I'd like to see what the switcher and CG look like now.

Kris

SCS5
04-24-2006, 09:22 PM
I posted this elsewhere, but it's appropriate here too:

I've been going to NAB & doing demo's at NAB on & off for 20 years and the only people with a booth that looked like they were trying to appeal to kids was Newtek...Time to grow up!! Why do you think that when you tell clients that are used to working with mid, to high end 3D and editing software that you use a Newtek product they think, that's cute, it's a toy? Yes the products good, but, It' ALL ABOUT PRESENTATION!..PERIOD!!

nevmoor
04-25-2006, 06:39 AM
OK.Enough Kiki bashing. She does an great job, we just hope she steps up the professsionalism a little. I think that would make an impact on the overall presentation.
If the frame rate/ rez independant feature works like it's supposed to, this is the chance to take NT to a whole new level. I know there is someone(hint-hint) working in the film industry with Lightwave and this feature could give them the ability to do pre viz on set! Imagine a huge VT5/BoXX system recording and editting on set. If FCP can make it happen, why not VT. At this stage it is an open door!

Let's hope they can pull it together and give Newtek a more serious representation for the more "elite" end of the video world.

wvp
04-25-2006, 07:08 AM
Here here! I too hope Newtek changes there presentation style. I've seen them, hear them and attended them. I come away thinking they do not respect my knowledge of the buisness.
I hate watching one and the presenter does not know where the video clips are or even if "this system" has the ones they want. If you are presenting, be prepared. NAB is full of PROFESSIONAL video people, don't talk down to them.
Hoping today I will see more of VT5 (including close up screen shots). Still wondering how many of the numerous feature requests were put into VT5.

Jim_C
04-25-2006, 07:09 AM
I found Kiki's presentations yesterday to be amateur looking, juvenile sounding, and unprepared.

"Now as you see.. uh wait, OK, as soon as I click, no OK... now on this pretty Apple laptop, well..let me get over there..NOW you have on the screen...." (which we never actually saw)

Sorry this is a negative post and not meant to be a Kiki bash, it is just a review of her presentations. I do hope Newtek takes into account all the opinions here when they decide on how they present themselves at trade shows in the future.

That aside, this has to be one of the most exciting times in NT history.
Rock On Newtek!!

:rock:

billmi
04-25-2006, 07:16 AM
there is a lot of s*hit going on in that box,

Producers, time to fire your editors and hrie poopsmiths.

Tim Johnson
04-25-2006, 08:16 AM
I've worked with Kiki a couple times. She's a pretty cool person. I agree, though--she doesn't need the extra descriptives in the pitch. The product will sell itself.

FranK10
04-25-2006, 08:30 AM
I would like to give NT a technical suggestion: I hear a lot of interference-noise in the audio of the streaming. If you can, could you make a cleaner audio? It should be a current-interference noise in cables (I'm sorry but I don't know how to say correctly it in English...).:)

Another suggestion could be to show more of the video screen for us web-users: I have never seen screen in ticaster presentation, but I saw it on SpeedEdit one. The point is that there at NAB people have a giant projector fully on the PC-screen and at the right they see the presenter so they can follow things well, but we can't see the pc screen, so it could be useful for us to see more shots of it to follow better the presentations.

Another note to people here in Europe: yesteday afternoon I saw the live at -9 hours here in Italy.
So it should start around 17pm for the morning live and 21pm for the afternoon, in local time.

John Melvin
04-25-2006, 08:41 AM
Why don't they get Phillip Nelson to do the Tricaster. He is a heck of a lot better than Kiki and does not have to resort to using objectionable lanquage.

John

Jim Capillo
04-25-2006, 09:02 AM
Why don't they get Phillip Nelson to do the Tricaster.

Well, she does look better than Phillip :heart:

even with the :censored: mouth....

Jim_C
04-25-2006, 09:06 AM
And I think that lends even more to the shock when you hear such masculine sailor language coming from her.

Kiki probably is ultra-cool and hip to hang with, but just imho, her presentation style the last few years has left something to be desired.

It may be a little more loose and free wheeling when you are there in person, but it comes across very harsh and out of sorts when trying to watch on the net.

RobertRhino
04-25-2006, 09:13 AM
I don't think Phillip's legs are as sexy as Kiki's. Kiki has never failed to arouse my attention that girl is very sexy. Her language is crossing the line, I was doing work and was watching the video stream on my PC and several times I thought to myself. Did I just hear what she said correctly? Things like "Butt loads of DVEs". Kiki can talk dirty to me anytime she wants among other things.

I also heard her say how much better her presentation would be if she had a few beers in her and how she was burned out already on the first day of presenting. She would do better by keeping those thoughts to herself.

Her presentation I thought was very good but aimed at the technically uninclined it would be nice if there was some balance in the presentation for the tech heads. I actually am going to buy a Tricaster Pro where as before I had no interest in the Tricaster. She sold me on the product so I guess she did her job well! This cussy thing is the latest fad all started by "The Osbournes" the Sopranos, etc.. Did any of you watch the HBO series "Deadwood"? I really enjoyed Deadwood a lot.

I am a big Kiki fan she just needs to be pulled aside and be asked to tone it down for the Church folks shopping for Video gear. In other words, "Honey this ain't no Biker Bar it's NAB"! Gorgeous legs baby, I can watch you all day, and I will!

RobertRhino
04-25-2006, 09:19 AM
I don't think Phillip's legs are as sexy as Kiki's. Kiki has never failed to arouse my attention that girl is very sexy. Her language is crossing the line, I was doing work and was watching the video stream on my PC and several times I thought to myself. Did I just hear what she said correctly? Things like "Butt loads of DVEs". Kiki can talk dirty to me anytime she wants among other things.

I also heard her say how much better her presentation would be if she had a few beers in her and how she was burned out already on the first day of presenting. She would do better by keeping those thoughts to herself.

Her presentation I thought was very good but aimed at the technically uninclined it would be nice if there was some balance in the presentation for the tech heads. I actually am going to buy a Tricaster Pro where as before I had no interest in the Tricaster. She sold me on the product so I guess she did her job well! This cussy thing is the latest fad all started by "The Osbournes" the Sopranos, etc.. Did any of you watch the HBO series "Deadwood"? I really enjoyed Deadwood a lot.

I am a big Kiki fan she just needs to be pulled aside and be asked to tone it down for the Church folks shopping for Video gear. In other words, "Honey this ain't no Biker Bar it's NAB"! Gorgeous legs baby, I can watch you all day, and I will!

Jim Capillo
04-25-2006, 09:23 AM
She must've put the redhead spell on you, Robert ~ she's got you double-posting ! :D

FranK10
04-25-2006, 10:29 AM
For Europe users: it's started now: in Italy, today 25/04 is 18:25 pm

The audio is noisy also today...

nevmoor
04-25-2006, 10:38 AM
This is funny. I tune in earlier and got connected perfectly. 2 minutes befor ethe live stuff started, it dropped out and now is super jumpy. Did Jim log back on and steal the bandwidth again!??

Jim Capillo
04-25-2006, 11:09 AM
...... Did Jim log back on and steal the bandwidth again!??

LOL ! Not on yet, but I will be soon - so..... BEWARE !!!!! :D

Rich Deustachio
04-25-2006, 11:47 AM
Jim the bandwidth sucker.

Jim Capillo
04-25-2006, 11:52 AM
Jim the bandwidth sucker.

LOL !:D

Dillon
04-25-2006, 12:55 PM
Flawless stream for me today. Its awesome

Brian Arndt
04-25-2006, 01:12 PM
Just wanted to answer a few questions for ya that i have answers to:
I'm just the webmaster so I only know so much and am not at the show.

The reason Philip isnt demoing is that he is always extremely busy with press and so forth.

as far as the stream, i wont be able to get up a lower rate stream or just audio right now but I'll see what i can do for more options for next years stream. Sorry about that.

and yes, they are streaming from a TriCaster (I'm pretty sure its a TriCaster PRO!)

FranK10
04-25-2006, 01:54 PM
Ok, so after 3 hours smooth playback, I experiment the buffer problem too.. :D

Anyway the audio went ok. Good job on that.

I remain a bit confused on why you don't show more the pc-screen when the presenter use the pc. We web-user cannot see the maxi projector, so I think you should put that shot instead of a normal camera. Otherwise we (and the future buyers) cannot follow and understand well the presentation.
It's funny that you cannot output the pc screen, while you are using the Tricaster with the iVGA input!
Show us the power of iVGA. We need it. :)

Oh well, the buffer is ok now...

Chuck
04-25-2006, 01:59 PM
Thanks for expressing your views on the presentation at the show. We've listened to both sides of the discussion and we will make an effort to keep things more family-friendly for the rest of the show.

The discussion of that matter is sufficient and the thread and messages dedicated to the topic will be archived.

SBowie
04-26-2006, 09:42 AM
The matter of choice adjectives having been thoroughly addressed, I'd just like to remark on comments made re: some other little 'misfires.'

One word -- "Monday." Having been in the presenter's shoes, I thought the presentations NewTek made were very, very well done considering it was "NAB day one."

There is a big difference between the relative calm of demoing on a satellite workstation and being live onstage. Especially on day one, a huge number of variables conspire to embarrass the presenter (actually, the presentation team, because it's a team sport!) Mikes that fail, dubious audio mix, aggressively vocal competion from neighboring booths, missing content, loaner workstations with missing codecs and common add-ons, beta builds so recent that the compiler is still hot with new and relocated features ...

Then there is the fact that the guy ahead of you might have moved your content, or totally rearranged the prefs (it's never anything like working on your own system where the controls and shortcuts you're so used to having at your finger tips are gone.)

I saw exactly the same type of glitches in the biggest and most expensive presentations on the floor that day. Again, for day one I think NewTek did unusually well on this score.

robewil
04-26-2006, 11:03 AM
If I may add my own criticism (constructive, of course). I think the "Kiki Act" is getting old. As I listen to her (right now), I hear her constantly using the words "sophisticated", "literally", and "actually". So much so that I wince every time I hear them. I notice she hardly ever uses the word "cool" any more, which is a good thing but good presenters manage to say their spiel wthout incessant repeating of the same words.

Jim Capillo
04-26-2006, 01:45 PM
If I may add my own criticism (constructive, of course). I think the "Kiki Act" is getting old. As I listen to her (right now), I hear her constantly using the words "sophisticated", "literally", and "actually". So much so that I wince every time I hear them. I notice she hardly ever uses the word "cool" any more, which is a good thing but good presenters manage to say their spiel wthout incessant repeating of the same words.

That's probably more of a result of her "winging the script" as opposed to it being tightly scripted for her. I've watched her a couple of times now, and I was aware of her interjecting the repetitive words (that doesn't bother me as much as the potty mouth did), but the only other alternative is for NT to hire a professional presenter to develop and deliver a tightly scripted presentation. After the presentation, you could have a general Q&A session.

robewil
04-26-2006, 01:54 PM
...but the only other alternative is for NT to hire a professional presenter to develop and deliver a tightly scripted presentation.Or get someone else like Don Ballance who also speaks casually and is not tightly scripted, yet manages to come across very professionally. Don convincingly sells the points of SpeedEdit and 3D Arsenal. A couple of years ago, Newtek tried the professional presenter approach and that didn't work, in my opinion. I realize getting another Don Ballance wouldn't be trivial, but I really think Newtek's presentation issues need to be addressed.

Jim Capillo
04-26-2006, 01:58 PM
Or get someone else like Don Ballance .......

Yup, agreed !

kltv
04-26-2006, 02:04 PM
I thought Kiki was doing great when I looked in today. It was the best Tricaster Pro demo so far. I also like that they are using the scan converted image of the interface, rather than shooting it with a camera.

SBowie
04-26-2006, 02:12 PM
While we're throwing kudos around, I want to mention that I watched Ralph demo SpeedEDIT twice through. The presentation was competely in keeping with a more 'corporate' image without sacrificing a dash of his irrepressable personality and enthusiasm. I thought it came across very well - comfortable but not vulgar.

At the end of the day, I don't think anyone can deny it - Ralph definitely knows how to sell.

FranK10
04-26-2006, 02:15 PM
I also like that they are using the scan converted image of the interface, rather than shooting it with a camera.

Yes the iVGA is a great option and they listen to us!
But I was wondering why the image has large black borders. It's smaller than the other one shooted by camera that was fullscreen. If we can call 320x240 a fullscreen... :D

EDIT: oops, I was asking it just in this thread... hehe

ssdcinc
04-26-2006, 03:21 PM
Ahhh...

remember that EYE CANDY always help sells products
(hence KIKI) and even though the NT products can pretty
much stand on their on merrit. it does help to have
someone pretty and somewhat knowlegable.

Kiki is not really that bad, some pointer for her would be
to try to think a couple of seconds ahead of whats she's
doing (so she stops the UHhhh... stuff).

Other than that you want a bit of personality in a presentation
(or couse besides the potty mouth). personaality, stage
presence and charmisa go a long way (and good look dont hurt :)

...just one man's opnion
..although i wish DON would have went a little more indepth with
SPEED EDIT as opposed to new features we can expect in T5.

robewil
04-26-2006, 03:40 PM
..although i wish DON would have went a little more indepth with
SPEED EDIT as opposed to new features we can expect in T5.Like Tricaster last year, Newtek is hoping to win over new customers with SpeedEdit. Don's spiel isn't really for us VT users who already know it's been the "fastest editor on the planet" for some years now. He's trying to win over new users by showing SpeedEdits strengths against its competition, namely speed and workflow. On a similar note, the 3D Arsenal spiel isn't aimed at current Lightwave users.

nevmoor
04-26-2006, 05:35 PM
KIKI comment. Day she has done a good job a tightening up her presentation. I work with folks everyday in the corp. world so I know she wasn't the super polished presenter. But I liked what she did. She was selling to the corporate/lay person that doesn't know video so I think she did a great job!!

nevmoor
04-26-2006, 05:37 PM
I am also dying to get more VT5 info!!
I know it's coming but the anticipation!!
How many DSKs??
Are ths SDI ins HD capable??
Can you use all the SDI in/outs at the same time?
Can you send SDI DSK w/alpha out while live switching?
SO many questions.............

Jim_C
04-26-2006, 09:38 PM
How many DSKs??

# of DSK's are system dependent. A speedy systemshould handle 3.

(As reported by Blaine on VTNT forum)

ScorpioProd
04-28-2006, 01:54 AM
Huh... Interesting... I didn't go through my digest format VTNT mail since I got back... But from the show on Sunday, I'm sure the sign of features for VT[5] said TWO DSKs...

Jim Capillo
04-28-2006, 05:08 AM
# of DSK's are system dependent. A speedy systemshould handle 3.

(As reported by Blaine on VTNT forum)

That's as I understood it, too...... I wonder which is correct?

pnelson
04-28-2006, 09:05 PM
We are still working out details but I would expect to get 2 DSK's in VT[5].

Thanks to all of those that came out to support us at NAB! It was an amazing show and winning the two awards (AIM for TriCaster Pro and 4Ever Group Product Innovation for SpeedEDIT) were icing on the cake!