PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of switching to Lightwave.

GandB
04-22-2006, 01:12 PM
Hey all,

I've been going over different apps. over the past year, and I think I've settled on Lightwave. I'm coming from TrueSpace/GameSpace, as a game artist (for an Indy Company). It has become apparent (after seeing what is new with TS7) that Caligari does not intend to accomodate the specific needs of Game Developers for some time now; and I don't have the time to wait around. Animation that works properly seems to be a ways off there as well.

While I don't yet have the money to purchase Lightwave, I have ordered the Demo in order to get acclimated to the interface, etc. I think this is the right decision (after looking over XSI, Carrara/Hexagon, Modo, Silo, 3D Canvas Pro, Max--too expensive ATM, Maya--also too expensive ATM, Houdini--way too expensive, and a few others) for me. Besides game content, I also have a few personal projects I'd like to complete in my lifetime. I wanted an application that I could be productive with, and grow with. I believe Lightwave is that Application.

Anyways, I just wanted to say hello.

-Keith

5had0w
04-22-2006, 01:19 PM
Hey Keith!

I hope you like Lightwave, it's great!

Enjoy:thumbsup:

5had0w

Cobalt
04-22-2006, 01:33 PM
Hello Keith,

Welcome to the Lightwave community. This forum alone is a good reason to go with Lightwave. There is a wealth of archived knowledge here and Lightwavers generally go out of their way to help one-another.

I made the move to Lightwave 6.5 from Ray Dream studio several years ago and have been very pleased with the "return on investment". I use it all the time at work and even now while I am deployed to Iraq.

I look forward to seeing your work. Let us know if you ever get stuck on anything ... someone here in this forum will know the answer.

GandB
04-22-2006, 01:38 PM
Wow, I was stationed in Al Kut, Iraq back in '03. That's wierd meeting a fellow servicemember here:D

One of the things I noticed right off the bat was the community, and the extensive library of free tutorials on the main site. I think I've made the right choice.

-Keith

Cobalt
04-22-2006, 02:04 PM
Cool. To bad we weren't there at the same time ... we could have started an Iraqi Lightwave User's Group! LOL! I think Chuck Baker's son was in Mosul, but do not know if he is a Lightwaver like his old man.

Well, your in even better company now if you ask me. Kind of like a craftsman or artisan guild or something.

GandB
04-22-2006, 05:30 PM
Thanks, Bryphi77; I ordered it about a week ago, so it should be here anytime now (I'm also on dial-up). We use Vue 4 right now, although I wouldn't mind getting my hands on version 5. Has anybody got any suggestions as to commercial video training for LW? I've checked out 3D Garage.com, and it looks pretty good.

I was on convoys constantly when I was there; I doubt I would've had much time for LW:) We were in Iraq for about 2 weeks before "all major hostilities" were supposed to have ended...somebody forgot to let the opposition know that. I can't stand spiders....so those Camel Spiders weren't exactly helping with my Arachnophobia! We played a bit of D&D on our downtime (someone actually brought their books and dice with them!), what downtime we had. Well, I look forward to getting 'dirty' with LW.

-Keith

ShawnStovall
04-22-2006, 08:03 PM
Another cool thing about Lightwave is that it also comes with a free program for writing plug-ins in LW's own script type LScript. I have just started learning LScript and think it is interesting and easy.

Good luck in Iraq.:thumbsup:

GandB
04-22-2006, 08:09 PM
I've never been into scripting, but if I stay with LW long enough I may just learn; especially if I can help my pipeline any.

Oh, I'm no longer in Iraq (unless you were talking to Cobalt), I'm back in Michigan.

-Keith

ShawnStovall
04-22-2006, 08:24 PM
MI is #1!

GandB
04-23-2006, 10:57 AM
It is in my book:) I love living in the U.P. (Upper Peninsula).

-Keith

Bog
04-23-2006, 06:06 PM
Welcome back home, and to your new home Gand.

There's no tool quite like LightWave. It made Serious Sam the comedy gibfest that it is, and it modelled a bunch of creatures and environments for Lord of the Rings. It's a tool for any size job, and truly is an astounding amount of power. Sometimes I have to look at things that I've done with it and just check the backs of Star Trek DVD boxes to make sure I haven't fallen through to the universe where Spock had a beard, and that I actually, y'know... did that. It's a fun road to walk. There's always something new to learn if you want to push the boundaries, but there's always a safe road to tread as well, if you just need to get the job done, get paid and go home :)

Cobalt - check six, buddy. Come back safe.

<edit>
MI is #1!

Mobile Infantry? ;)

GandB
04-23-2006, 06:34 PM
Thanks, this seems like a great place. I'm all for pushing the boundaries (after there's food on the table). I'm graduating college next weekend; History/Poly Sci. Degree. So hopefully I'll have more time for this stuff.

-Keith