PDA

View Full Version : For those struggling with slow modeler performance on ATI laptops

DiscoBurgess
04-22-2006, 02:27 AM
This may work on desktop cards too, but my old laptop (with an ATI 345M) and my new one (with an ATI Xpress 200M) both suffer from this fault. On the newer one, the performance isn't bad on smooth shade, but on wireframe, it's very poor.

So, to solve it, simply removing atioglxx.dll from windows/system32 seems to take the card out the loop. I get improved performance this way. Older versions of atioglxx.dll, as suggested in other situations, just crashes LW.

You#ll need to put the atioglxx.dll file back if you have other OGL applications you need to run, such as TA Spring, for example.

Let me know how your mileage varies. I'm having to do this, because I don't have much choice about my new laptop. It's either this one, or none. :( Otherweise, though, it's an awesome laptop.

DiscoBurgess
04-23-2006, 04:09 AM
UPDATE: Choosing "simple points" from the display options in modeler fixed my problem with slow updates (or disabling points altogether), without needing to pull out atioglxx.dll. This also improves overall performance, since removing atioglxx.dll seems to make the CPU do all the work instead of the graphics card doing any.

I also no longer seem to be experiencing a crash in Graph Editor in Layout. I'm not sure if this is related to the above.

This is using catalyst 6.4 drivers and LW 8.5.