PDA

View Full Version : Pick Up items/ Layout Bug

Sevenjay
04-21-2006, 05:15 PM
Hello,

I'm having a hard time picking up items with my animated character. Basically, I want my character to hold a gun in his holster and draw it out whenever needed. I also want the gun to conform to the motion of the holster while animating the holster(this is only when the gun is within holster). What I have now is a bone which inluences just the holster. I've tried two things without any sucess. First I tried parenting the gun to the holster bone using the parenter modifier but whenever I try to animate the motion of the holster the gun flips around matching the rotation coordinates of the bone, and looks out of place. Also when I try to transfer the gun to the hand, the gun jumps way across the screen. Second I tried influencning the wieght of the gun between two nulls with a slider. But I still get some poping action when scrubbing through the animation.

One more thing, sometimes when I'm in layout, If I zoom into an object or move the camera the whole computer freezes and I have to unplug the machine.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix these problems. Your input will be appreciated wvery much. Thanks

toby
04-22-2006, 12:39 AM
The problems you had with dynamic parenting are exactly the reason I use the old and easy cheat; have two pistols in the scene, one in the holster and one in the hand. Use an envelope in the dissolve channel of each object to swap between the two when the gun is holstered or removed.

Your freeze problem is not a common one, you'll have to tell us all about your system and LW version.