PDA

View Full Version : Ratty scroll

calhoontuna
04-21-2006, 02:14 PM
Can anyone give me some tips for making my scrolling text look better?

Scrolling Arial 25 text. Set it to high quality with ISS. But the text has this shimmery, heat-radiating-off-the-highway-on-a-hot-summer-day effect.

Brian

Bruce Ellsworth
04-21-2006, 02:30 PM
The best way I have found is to render it directly from CG Designer as an rtv file. The speed controls don't seem to work right in the CG Post module, and the motion paths in Control Tree have quality issues as well, but speed 4 under the Motion tab in CG Designer looks acceptable (not great).

Once you build your scroll in CG Designer, all you have to do to render it as an RTV with alpha is go to File->Save Image File and specify a name and path to save. Save it on your fast disk array since this will be a video clip, and be sure to manually put a .rtv extension on the filename or explicitly set .rtv as the filetype. I wish this option was the default for motion pages, but unfortunately you have to set it by hand. Also, it would be great if the menu item was labeled "Export" instead of "Save Image File" since export is more descriptive of the function and is more consistent with other software.

Bruce Ellsworth
www.amitrace.com

billmi
04-21-2006, 02:38 PM
Also make sure transparency is on for the CG, or it will alias, causing a shimmer around the edges as it moves.

calhoontuna
04-24-2006, 08:12 AM
How do you go about setting transparency in CG?

I export the clip as an rtv. When I slap it into the timeline I hit overlay so that you can see the image underneath. Am I doing something wrong here.

The image doesn't look too bad on a tv monitor -- but not too good either -- but on a computer monitor it's horrible.

Brian

Jim Capillo
04-24-2006, 08:27 AM
Are you shrinking the text via positioner?

calhoontuna
04-24-2006, 08:37 AM
Nope, I keep it the same size.

Just tried the de-interlace filter. It helps a little on the shimmering effect but is unacceptable because it makes the text look sloppy.

Jim Capillo
04-24-2006, 08:49 AM
What speed are you running it at ?

billmi
04-24-2006, 08:56 AM
How do you go about setting transparency in CG?

Pardon my poor phrasing - I meant turn on overlay in VT Edit.

Sometimes folks just doing a scroll on black will run it by itself in VTEdit, rather than turning on overlay. Since the anti-aliasing of the text is done in part with the alpha channel, the text ends up with blockiness.