PDA

View Full Version : Wrecking Ball

3D Kiwi
04-21-2006, 03:17 AM
Want to make a quick animation that involves a wrecking ball knocking down a brick wall, Have been playing with MD but cant figure out how to make the ball knock the bricks over, can get the ball to bouce off the bricks.
Saw a mate do it in Maya in about 5 mins, does anyone know a tut or how to do it in lightwave???

gazmon
04-21-2006, 04:05 AM
I did something similar. cant remember exactly but it was something like this:
I made the wall out of individual bricks using an array in modeler all on 1 layer.
In lightwave made the ball a collision object and added hard fx to the wall to start on collision.
Then played around forever with random settings, still havent been able to get the bricks to stop spinning at the end though!
Someone recommended these tutorials to me, havent tried them yet though.
http://desktopimages.com/VFX.shtml

I don't think theres enough documentation and tutorials on all of this stuff out there at the moment - I hope the new LW 9 manual is more helpful!

Anyway, I hope that helps a bit
Gaz

3D Kiwi
04-21-2006, 04:42 AM
Is Hard FX in version 7?

gazmon
04-21-2006, 06:10 AM
no, afraid not. its in 8. makes things like this so much easier tho. I think in 7 you may have to fake it with particles and fx_linker to attack brick objects to the particles.

kevman3d
04-22-2006, 09:37 PM
Yup, you need to have LW8 to make it a piece of cake. MD can do it, just with a little more hard work. I do know there's a tutorial on creating rigid dynamics in MD - Here's one here, hopefully should give you some pointers to use with your project...

http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/tutorials/animation/m-designer/index.html

I've done this type of animation before pretty quickly in LW8 - "ClothFX" to simulate the swinging chain and ball (plus a tool called FXHardLink that attaches the hard 'pieces' of the object to the ClothFX simulation), a "FX Collision" to the Ball and Chain object itself, and then just HardFX and a 'ground collision' object to the wall...

If you're keen, I have a tutorial (For LW8 however) on using ClothFX and FXHardLink from 2004 that shows how to use it for chain animation (for a hanging sign, but the same principles were applied for a wrecking ball).

http://www.kevman3d.com/lightwave.asp?section=tutorials

3D Kiwi
05-19-2006, 10:24 PM
Hi guys, sorry for not replying sooner, had some family stuff to take care of back in NZ, will check out the links asap.

How is it Kev, Dont know if you rember me but it is Craig from your user group.
(I made the Darlek animation for your comp last year i think it was)

Anyway hope the user group is going well and thanks again for the advise.

stevecullum
05-21-2006, 09:58 PM
I created this exact thing for an animation in 2003, using LW7 I think, for a Uni project. Let me know if you still need help with it and I'll dig out my old scene files for you. I can't recall exactly how I did it, but its a wrecking ball, smashing through a brick wall with brick dust and stuff.

3D Kiwi
05-23-2006, 03:10 AM
Hay thanks I would love to see your scene files if that is still cool.

stevecullum
05-23-2006, 04:09 AM
No worries. I'll have to have a dig about for my old files and I'll PM you with a link to download them!