PDA

View Full Version : Luminosity settings seem to disapear when i reload a scene

GeorgeDittmar
04-20-2006, 01:57 PM
ok so has any one had this happen? I am trying to do some scenes and when i first set them up and save them and the objects its fine. BUt when i reload them later on like a day later the luminosty settings seems to not work like they did before. I am doing a scene with a mars planet in the background and the atmosphere layer i have i set it a certain way. I have two renders, one showing how it is before the problem happens and the other shows what happens when I reload the scene. Now this only seems to happen when I have another object besides the planet in the scene. So far the only thing that seems to fix it is having to remake the whole scene file but taht is a pain.

Captain Obvious
04-20-2006, 02:08 PM
You'll have to save the object as well as the scene. Pop into Modeler for a spell and save.

GeorgeDittmar
04-20-2006, 02:55 PM
i've already done all that, i am pretty sure i said that in the post above. As i said this only happens when there seems to be another object besides the planet in there. the mars base scene that just has the planet doesnt seem to have this problem.

Captain Obvious
04-20-2006, 05:59 PM
Oh... well, I have no idea, then. Sorry. :(

GeorgeDittmar
04-20-2006, 06:17 PM
Oh... well, I have no idea, then. Sorry. :(

I was afraid you would say that lol.

GeorgeDittmar
04-21-2006, 05:51 PM
any one else had any ideas?

lesterfoster
04-21-2006, 07:19 PM
What if you were to save the object from within Layout. Before doing this, I suggest that you backup your original object in a different directory before trying this.

GeorgeDittmar
04-21-2006, 07:25 PM
I do save it from within layout and that doesnt do anything either. It just seems to be when the planet is with another object it does this but when its just the planet it doesnt have this problem.

toby
04-22-2006, 12:03 AM
What are you using in the luminosity channel?

I'm assuming you're using an incidence angle gradient, but I can't think of anything there that would cause a problem - if you're using a reference null for a texture or gradient, that might have been dropped, LW is not reliable in this regard. Are you using any shaders, image maps, multiple layers of objects, or anything else?

GeorgeDittmar
04-22-2006, 12:24 AM
well in the luminosity slot I am using a gradient with a blending mode set to divide and light incidence. as far as i remeber i didnt put any nulls in the scene. I am still scratching my head about what the heck is going on lol.

toby
04-22-2006, 12:33 AM
I've seen light incidence get dropped too. If it does get dropped you will get a 0 value. Have you checked that? Camera incidence angle should work just as well and be more reliable.

Have you seen the photo-real earth tutorial?

GeorgeDittmar
04-22-2006, 12:56 AM
but why does it get dropped? I mean it is fine when the mars planet is by itself i can reload it all i want and on probvlems but with somthing else. I will try the camera one though

toby
04-22-2006, 01:30 AM
I think it's something like the order that things get loaded when you load a scene. If the object with the gradient gets loaded before the light, then it has nothing to refer to. When you add something to the scene and re-load it, it probably loads in a different order. Something Newtek needs to address.

It may be possible to edit the scene in a text editor to make the light load first, but I've never tried it.

The earth tutorial gives very detailed tips on how to achieve photo-realism - anyone who does planets should be familiar with it. And it uses camera incidence angle :)
http://personal.southern.edu/~dascott/tutorial01/nasa-earth.htm