PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave LScript Tutorials?

ShawnStovall
04-20-2006, 09:32 AM
I just got done watching the fifth tutorial about LScript and went to www.Lightwave3d.com to get the next one but it wasn't there. Was their ever more after that or did he just stop making them?

-Thanks-:lwicon:

ShawnStovall
09-18-2006, 05:50 PM
Anyone know what happened?

Phil
09-19-2006, 04:39 AM
Nope. There are tutorials in the documentation, but they didn't work for me - using info() caused Layout (I think - it might have been Modeler) to instantly crash. I reported it and never heard anything more about it. This was around the time that NewTek subcontracted a third party to give LScript a shot in the arm.....I never saw any real improvement from that activity, either.

Frankly, the developer support from NewTek is lacking across the board. The SDK has one horribly dated tutorial and that's it. Plus no search feature. LScript is in slightly better shape, but NewTek keep breaking it such that relying on it is somewhat akin to a leap of faith.

More effort is needed from NewTek to rapidly improve both the SDK and LScript, including learning aids like video tutorials and (what a surprise!) documentation that isn't dated and is actually useful/usable.

Dodgy
09-19-2006, 05:02 AM
I'm working on getting the lscript notes updated with every command I can find and trying to check to see whether they still work. You can find the current version here:
http://www.shortbutpurple.fsnet.co.uk/Lscript/Lscript%20Index.html

Matt
09-19-2006, 07:30 AM
Wow, great resource there Dodgy, I've been wanting to do something similar myself, never got round to it though!

Mr Big
09-19-2006, 08:28 AM
Dodgy can you check your website, I get this link

Welcome to ghostoutpost.com

Homes for Sale
Apartments
Dating Services
Chat Rooms
Airline Tickets
Travel Guides
Las Vegas
Hawaii
Used Cars
Car Accessories
Cellular Accessories

Vacation | Technology | Health & Beauty | Gifts | Personal Finance | Home
Why am I seeing this web site?

ShawnStovall
09-19-2006, 08:18 PM
How do I obtain the normal direction of a polygon?

Silkrooster
09-19-2006, 09:24 PM
Dodgy,
Excellent resource. I'll see what I can do to promote it for you. Have you thought about a pdf?
Silk

Dodgy
09-20-2006, 03:01 AM
That site was temporarily down do to someone not paying their fees on time or something. Check my web site link now and you should find it.

I'm not going to do a pdf as I don't know how, and can't be bothered with learning at this moment when there are so many other things to do :) There is a zipped version up though I think....

dballesg
09-20-2006, 03:19 AM
Hi Dodgy,

Thanks a lot for organize all the LScript material. Has helped me a lot on start with LScripting! :)

Best regards,
David

Dodgy
09-20-2006, 03:33 AM
To find a polynormal:

http://www.dodgy.ghostoutpost.com/Lscript/Source/Mesh_Edit.htm#polynormal

This is in a mesh edit session.

Phil
09-20-2006, 03:35 AM
PDFCreator will print directly to PDF - opensource and free of charge to boot. Works just like a regular Windows printer as well :) Not sure about generating links, etc. using this toolchain, though. Never tried.

In addition, OpenOffice.org will build PDFs from the loaded document. Again opensource and free of charge.

I did not know there was a zipped version up - I'll have to go and grab it now :)

Dodgy
09-20-2006, 04:55 AM
Also I used to pdf docs for a while, but I found it was easier to find stuff using the built in type-search function in firefox if I knew vaguely where to look. Hence my re-compiling the commands in to relevant pages. Before if you wanted to find a file command, you had to look on the command commands page and the File object agent page. Now they're all on a Files page.

Plus all the commands are listed in the command list so if you remember how a command works, but can't remember if it was a member (doesn't need brackets) or a method (does need brackets) or a command (can be used in layout or modeler) or just a layout command, you can see this easily in the command list too.

Phil
09-20-2006, 10:30 AM
I could not locate a zipped version on your site, Dodgy. Could you point me towards it, please? :)

UnCommonGrafx
09-20-2006, 10:53 AM
http://www.dodgy.ghostoutpost.com/Lscript/Lscript%20Index.html
Oh, you said zipped...nevermind.

Dodgy
09-20-2006, 10:55 AM
For the downloadable version:
http://www.dodgy.ghostoutpost.com/Files/Lscript.zip

It might not be as up to date as the online version though.