PDA

View Full Version : Asking for advice on Bass Strings

monfoodoo
04-19-2006, 09:41 PM
I'm to the point of putting strings on the 62 tetecaster bass model. What would be the best route to take for acheiving this? (scott)

liquidpope
04-20-2006, 12:27 AM
I wouldn't say there is a best way. There are infinite ways, and one or more may suit you perfectly, but who knows which one? Nobody does.

If I were going to do it, I'd start by laying 4 points at the bridge and 4 points at the nut. I'd make each string location a 2 point poly, and tweak it 'til I was happy with the spacing.
From there, I'd lay new points from each nut location to the proper side of the tuner, then around the peg.
Then I'd kill the 2 point polys and use the points to make a spline for each string, then do a rail extrude with a proper diameter disc, keeping it very low poly. If I was happy with the extrusion, I'd metaform and save the higher poly version.
Lastly, I'd create a tileable color and bump map, and I'd be done.

If this doesn't make sense, I could post some screen grabs.
Good luck.

Forgot to ask... Are you a bass player too, and do you own the real thing?
(I have a Jackson C20, and I totally dig it.)

monfoodoo
04-20-2006, 01:15 AM
Heythere! I played bass for about 30 years(i believe i've had about 25 bass's during that),but i still have this beater.And it's been through all of it.i redid the body years ago in birdseye maple and stuck in another pickup.(I'm positive that took the value to a alltime low).Lost two frets somwhere in its abuse and the pickup,bridge covers.There not the greatest basses in the world,but if you ever get a hold of one,never sell it.Actually, there pretty kool.One of the basses i had,was a rickenbacker 4001 and a very rare rickenbacker semi hollow bass.(it fell of the stage and the neck broke).The 4001 is quite the cadillac of basses.here is a image of the body.

As for the strings.I'm trying to use the rope editor.wanted to get an actual roundness on the windings(50 million polys)Or figure a way to run the polys for a flat string.But if i don't zoom in tight a image map may work out.
(scott)

liquidpope
04-20-2006, 01:22 AM
Wow, that thing's been around the block, yeah?

Well, Rope editor will most definitely get you there. Poly count sounds about right though, at 50 million. But if you've got the CPU horsepower and enough free time, man just go nuts with it.
I like the "everything doesn't have to be so complicated" philosophy. I won't try to eat tomato soup with chop-sticks, for instance.
Level of detail needed is directly related to camera proximity, so that's your call.

Side note - You're up kinda late, aren't you?

monfoodoo
04-20-2006, 01:35 AM
My Lightwave time is 11:00 to 3:35(everynight!Yeah).when there asleep,i hit the program.I have 2 minutes left.Goodnight! (scott)

DrTWT
04-20-2006, 08:05 AM
looking forward to seeing this done... please keep us posted.

i'm a bass player too-- used to have an old P-bass that was in the general condition of your tele-- but with about 4 layers of peeling cheap paint jobs that previous owners had put on (ranging from spray paint silver on the pickguard and some traces of hot pink here and there on the body- it would have been fun to texture it in LW!) It was hideous ugly but had tons of character and played great. unfortunately it got lifted along the way...

the only bass i have left is a circa 1985 Rick 4003. I've been wanting to model it for quite a while but the time just is not there.

:)

monfoodoo
04-20-2006, 08:43 AM
Hey.i found a pic on the semi hollow,It's model 4005.went to rickenbackers web site.(scott)

stevecullum
04-20-2006, 09:16 AM
I strung up my guitar with pictrix C-worm. I used an eight sided poly and a spline made from points positioned where the strings needed to go. I also created the spline in two stages so I could wrap them around the tuning pegs. Use lathe with an offset at 6000 degrees or something to get those coils.

I subD after worming.

monfoodoo
04-20-2006, 12:08 PM
Just pickup c-worm,pretty cool.I don't know how i missed that one.Pictrix is da Bomb.
While i was there i grabbed C_Bend,but i can't get it to work.got any ideas?(scott)

stevecullum
04-20-2006, 12:52 PM
Not tried C-Bend, so can't help you there. I'm sure there is some other posts about its use though.

DrTWT
04-21-2006, 08:45 AM
Hey.i found a pic on the semi hollow,It's model 4005.went to rickenbackers web site.(scott)

now that is just beautiful...

monfoodoo
04-21-2006, 04:29 PM
The one i had was Black.When i bought it used back then in the 70's, i paid 250$ for it.I just saw on www.talkbass.com that that Model is now selling for up to 5000$
I,m sick. (scott)