PDA

View Full Version : What does "optimize capture" in VGA capture do?

jsanfilippo
04-19-2006, 06:34 PM
We use VGA capture to capture the output of Easyworship, and key it over program in the DSK. I run Easyworship ON THE VT machine (couldn't use iVGA and do this in the DSK).

Can anybody tell me what improvement the "optimize capture" checkbox gives you? I see no improvement. in fact, it makes it worse, in that, when I have this checked, if I hit the "black screen" button on Easyworship, or minimize the program, the Program out freezes for a second (even if it isn't in the DSK). When I turn "optimize" off, this problem goes away.

I see no advantage gained when I do use it. Any idea what this is supposed to gain me?

ScorpioProd
04-20-2006, 12:35 AM
I don't know what its original intent was, but I strongly encourage you not to turn it on.

If you do turn it on, you'll see trailing artifacts and other junk you don't want to see.

jsanfilippo
04-20-2006, 05:54 AM
I agree. I have turned it off and will leave it off. Just curious what it was intended to do!

Thanks for the confirmation!

wvp
04-20-2006, 07:21 AM
From the VT4 manual:
"Optimize Capture performs image smoothing operations on the scaled image, to make it look its best once converted to a video signal."

jsanfilippo
04-20-2006, 09:47 AM
Ahhh - the difference between what something is "supposed to do" and what it "actually does"! :)

kirkmorger
04-20-2006, 02:11 PM
For best performance using iVGA with EasyWorship, from Options on the Live menu, Uncheck the "Enable DirectX Support", and under Select Output Monitor choose "Second Monitor". From iVGA, choose "Second Monitor".

If you are running EasyWorship on the same computer as the VT, tell iVGA to use GigaBit / Local Machine, there is no need to compress the data if it isn't going over ethernet.

jsanfilippo
04-20-2006, 04:34 PM
No need to use iVGA when running Easyworship on the VT computer. Use VGA capture utility. Does iVGA work on the same computer, and does it produce better results? Unless I'm mistaken, iVGA cannot be put into the DSK. VGA capture CAN!

Cineman
04-20-2006, 05:29 PM
Unless I'm mistaken, iVGA cannot be put into the DSK. VGA capture CAN!
iVGA is ahown as an available source for DSK.

Nes Gurley

jsanfilippo
04-20-2006, 07:21 PM
iVGA is ahown as an available source for DSK.

Nes Gurley

Hunh? Has something changed recently?

Are you suggesting that you can DSK iVGA, sent out to program through video out (not VGA out)?

See the following:
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38757&page=5

Peter pan
04-21-2006, 06:22 AM
yes you can (as of 6016?). But the font is much sharper if you use vga out instead of dsk. You're restricted to the vga-input of your projector though.

Cineman
04-21-2006, 06:49 AM
Thanks Peter. Yes Jamie, as Peter said, including the down side, the limitations of converting computer to video. Didn't mean to post and run. If you read other threads, I am so busy working on things that were never there before, to take much time with what works, what is already about as good as it can be.

Nes Gurley

jsanfilippo
04-21-2006, 05:22 PM
yes you can (as of 6016?). But the font is much sharper if you use vga out instead of dsk. You're restricted to the vga-input of your projector though.

I haven't ever used VGA out because I send to more than just projectors. I run a CCTV loop through the building, record to DVCam, and will soon be streaming (real time full res. MPEG4) to satellite sites (very cool stuff!)

But, I only need to DSK Easyworship for the projectors in the auditorium.

So if I sent VGA to the projectors, I would get a sharper key of the lyrics from Easyworship? Would I get all my other keys (lower thirds) from DDR? Transitions? Everything exactly as the video program out?

ANd if I continued using video program out to feed the other stuff, would it get the DSK of easyworship at all?

A related issue - I've got a bit of latency issues (a couple frames from VT, a couple from the projectors - can't seem to reduce it any more). If I ran VGA to projectors, I might reduce the latency in the projector, since it's not scaling it there????

Peter pan
04-22-2006, 12:21 AM
VGA-Ouput = normal program out (including transitions and DSK, e.g. lower thirds) + iVGA "Send to VGA out" (= the lyrics from easyworship).

the video card takes the program out picture and overlays the iVGA picture. so the lyrics are only visible on the vga output if you use the "send to vga out"-feature. vga output is then program out plus the lyrics. Downside: you cannot see the lyrics on the vt-program out screen on your monitor. so the volounteers have to look at the projector-image to verify that the lyrics are up. they don't see them on the monitor before them.

we use normal dvd-recorders to record our services (input coming from sx-8). so we have the lyrics on our screens but not on our dvds. makes sense?

concerning latency: I think in theory you're right. but it depends on the projector whether you get additional latency or not. our projector does add some frames even when we use vga (it's a cheap model though). but I think you gotta try to be sure

TStark
06-14-2006, 06:21 AM
I am new to this forum and to the VT4, but I want to chime in on what we did here. We, too, use the VT4 for several things at once in our church. I love the quality that I can get from iVGA, and found sending it out to the projetors only very limiting. We are starting a DVD and live web stream ministry and wanted the lyrics from our iVGA computer to show on those feeds. We wanted them to show on our lobby TVs, web stream and DVD sends as well, basically every where we send signal. Here's what we did:

We sending our second VGA signal from the VT out to monitor instead of more desktop. This gave us our combined feed and monitor we needed. We then put a scan converter from this send to everything we feed, and that sent the VT signal AND the iVGA signal (with all its great quality) to everything. Since our client computer (running MediaShout) is ONLY used for lyric send through iVGA, we took the scan converter from that computer, saving us the money of buying another scan converter.

If you all are doing this, sorry this is redundant information. I just thought I would let you get a different perspective.

Thanks a lot.

Tom

essentricaudio
06-14-2006, 08:59 AM
We then put a scan converter from this send to everything we feed, and that sent the VT signal AND the iVGA signal (with all its great quality) to everything. Since our client computer (running MediaShout) is ONLY used for lyric send through iVGA, we took the scan converter from that computer, saving us the money of buying another scan converter.

Awesome idea Tom, simple but effective! We have 2 projectors (left and right) and I have been toying with the idea of "splitting" them, but the cables to them are currently just s-video, so I had been waiting for time (read volunteers) to pull a VGA cable to one of the projectors so I could use the VGA out to drive it. Using your idea I could go ahead and do it now.

(Both screens are visable to 95% of the congegation and we have done this before running a temporary cable, but I think it is time to do it every week!)

("Splitting" the screens - sending IMAG to one, sermon notes / slides / theme background to the other....)

Keep up the great work Tom!