PDA

View Full Version : Questions/Bugs - Old at programming, new at LScript and ANY animation.

Agni
05-24-2003, 11:01 AM
Hi everyone,

New member here. Just started writing LScripts in early April of this year. Never did anything with animation packages before. My job is to write LScripts for an animation company, which I have been doing. The largest so far is some 1,700 lines or so. It is called Mass File Utility at Ver 3.5.3. All scripts are for Modeler and my questions (and bugs) are for Modeler only. The platform is Windows 2000 (bummer :p ). The first four are important for my work.

Questions:
1) The setValue for the Double Sided Surface feature does not work. I think it is a bug. When Double Sidedness is on, the getValue lists the value at 3. When it is off, the value is 1. SetValue does nothing in all cases (tested integers from -20 to 20). Is there a work around or a fix?
2) I need to be able to change the LAYER visibility and parenting through modeler. All I have found is to look at it without changing it. Is there a way?
3) Is there a way to get the part names in a layer (or on Mesh objects)?
4) How do I get a full list of ALL the Modeler commands not part of LScrpit (like layer visibility, parenting, ect.) to use for CommandInput()? This command may be a way to program things that are not (YET) available in LScript.
5) How does the loadimage() and ctlimage() work in Modeler. Putting images on the request panels would be nice in Modeler.
6) Need a full list of ALL pragmas available. In fact, how about a FULL list of all available LScript commands and constructs with explanations.
7) Saw something about mouse and keyboard control via reqmousemove and reqkeyboard. How do these work? Is there any docs on these?

Possible Bugs:
1) The setValue for the double sided surface feature.
2) Upon closing objects (not saving), Modeler sometimes crashes. In the case of some of my scripts that are used to read in sometimes nearly 200 files, this occasional problem becomes apparant. This may be a Windows Pro 2000 memory and/or tasking problem {the wonderful world of Windows memory mismanagement (nonmanagement) and colliding tasks!! :(}.
3) Creating icons for display on my panels through the Icon() creator seems to wreak havoc with the memory. Parts of my larger scripts become nonfunctional at times as if the function calls are still there but execute nothing. Crashes become much more frequent too.

Attached Files: Not neccesary, just for your info.
There are four attached files. Three are jpegs of two of the scripts panel, the forth is the general help text for all scripts written so far (for the users that is): Just found out I can only attach 1 file - thus the first one. :eek:
1) MassFileUtil1 - The largest script. Most options are turned on. The Double Sided feature is inactive until a way to set it becomes available. My place of work can really use this (really (really (really))).
2) MassFileUtil2 - Same panel but with the Default DIRECTORY browse switch on. The two buttons to the left of the CLEAR buttons are user programable.
3) MoveCopyLyrs - The move/copy util panel with the Main Menu tab of Modeler that I created for the users. Lists all available Modeler scripts for users.
4) GeneralHelp - Very brief general help text file of all user scripts for users. I have full help docs for each script, but that would be a bit much here.

Thanx much from anyone who can help (BE PEACE),
Agni

faulknermano
05-25-2003, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by Agni
6) Need a full list of ALL pragmas available. In fact, how about a FULL list of all available LScript commands and constructs with explanations.
7) Saw something about mouse and keyboard control via reqmousemove and reqkeyboard. How do these work? Is there any docs on these?

i can only answer these two. for question 6: you have to download the "original" html documentation from www.lightwave-outpost.com.

for question 7: documentation can be found in the new release notes of v2.6. if you are using previous versions of 2.6, i think reqmouse functions were introduced in 2.5.1 as experimental features.

Possible Bugs:

3) Creating icons for display on my panels through the Icon() creator seems to wreak havoc with the memory. Parts of my larger scripts become nonfunctional at times as if the function calls are still there but execute nothing. Crashes become much more frequent too.

i dont know if the extent of the Icon() bug covers what you just explained, but i did record a bug / bad behavior with Icon() in the past but havent the time or presence of mind to report it just yet.

one more thing, join the lscript mailing list especially if you are submitting bug reports. things there get processed faster and you usually get more help. look for the lscript mailing list at the lightwave outpost as well.