PDA

View Full Version : Coverting LWO to MAX ... please help

surenw
04-19-2006, 07:02 AM
hi guys,

Im workign on integrating a lightwave model into flash with swift 3d. But i dont have cash to by the plugin. Instead swift 3d can import MAX files.

I was wondering whether anyone could help me out by converting my LWO file into a MAX file.

cheers guys. any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.
suren

metahumanity
04-19-2006, 09:34 AM
1. Export the model to *.obj

2. Download the 30 day trial of max and import it

cresshead
04-19-2006, 12:54 PM
swift imports 3ds files NOT max files....

3ds is the old dos 3d program made by kinetix in the early 90's....

and lightwave can export as a 3ds file:hey:

surenw
04-19-2006, 06:10 PM
Thanks guys. :D ill try it out.

the direct conversion to 3ds from modeller doesnt work. it says it cant convert polys with more than 3 vertices.

is there a way to change the number of vertices without maunally editing the model?

-suren

metahumanity
04-19-2006, 07:50 PM
Triple...

cresshead
04-20-2006, 12:12 PM
shortcut is shift plus the 't' key....

also in poly select mode make sure there's no 1 or 2 point polys...they will crash most 3d apps except lw

prospector
04-20-2006, 01:45 PM
Well here are the numbers;

start; 46,805 polys

you'll have to freeze to triple so you'll have to do it at a setting of 6 (it was made that way, and any lower you'll see poly edges on curves (tires, fenders, roof))

Freeze; 1,494,416 polys

Triple 2,945,410 polys

Just went thru the procedure and that's what I come up with.

Otterman
06-12-2006, 07:33 AM
Im attempting to export my models using LW 8.5 on the mac so other users can av em. The plan is to import using either studio max or Maya. Ive tried exporting 3DS, DXF and Obj with little success.

From what Ive read in these forums and my own trials, I have gathered that,

1. DXF is an old format and problematic at that. (So have left this alone)
2. Obj is compatible with max and Maya. (but Im having no joy at all with importing)
3. 3DS needs all polys converting with more than 3 vertices.(am using Triple).

Now Im getting there with 3DS, except im still experiencing problems with exporting which I beleive is due to 1 or 2 point polygons.

Is there an easy means of identifying and eliminating these before I export ???

Bang, Head, Bang, Head......

lunarcamel
06-12-2006, 07:59 AM
OBJ works great but LW's obj export is pretty weak - I'll typically use a third part app to convert LW to different formats

Skonk
06-12-2006, 08:00 AM
There are no programs (that im aware of) that support .max files nativly, even conversion tools require you to have max installed. The reason for this is the midifier stack, the base geometry is stored and then a list of modifiers which are applied by max when the file is opened. A little like Layer Styles in photoshop, the actual pixel info isn't stored but rather the settings used by the layer styles which are then applied as the image is loaded into photoshop.

cresshead
06-12-2006, 11:16 AM
my 3dsmax has a lightwave lwo imported plugin...
i could use that...though not on the latest version of max [8.3] as the plugin did not get recompiled so i use my max 4 install for that

obj should be okay...
so should fbx..and fbx will bring in lightghts/camera and bones/animation too.

if your having real trouble and you want to test one of your models send it [email protected]

Rayek
06-12-2006, 11:43 AM
Hi,

I've had my share of troubles converting lwo-files to other formats, but since I use Accutrans, most have been solved! Very cheap, and layers in obj and lwo files are retained. UV-maps and materials are converted as well. .Obj conversion to lightwave and vice versa is very good. It also writes and reads maya files.

Have a look at www.micromouse.ca . They have a fully working version available for testing. It saved my *ss twice now, since I need to transfer files between Cinema4D, Hexagon and Lightwave3d all the time.

Cheers,

R.

Ark_of_Kaos
06-12-2006, 02:28 PM
Now Im getting there with 3DS, except im still experiencing problems with exporting which I beleive is due to 1 or 2 point polygons.

In poly mode press 'w' to bring up the Polygon Statistics. Click the '+' sign next to any 1&2 point polys that are in the model, this will select them. Mash the delete button and you're good to go.

Ark_of_Kaos
06-12-2006, 02:32 PM
I've had success with simply selecting only the polys >4 verts and tripling only those. If you're model requires subpatching, then maybe freeze and/or triple is the way to go.

MicroMouse
06-12-2006, 03:04 PM
It also writes and reads maya files.

AccuTrans writes Maya MA files.

AccuTrans does not write Maya MB files which are the binary version of the ASCII MA file.

AccuTrans reads Maya RTG files which are a game file format. Early versions of Maya did not write the MTL file for materials which is needed for OBJ files. The RTG file contains material data.

Wayne

Otterman
06-13-2006, 06:20 AM
Im attempting to export my models using LW 8.5 on the mac so other users can av em. The plan is to import using either studio max or Maya. Ive tried exporting 3DS, DXF and Obj with little success.

From what Ive read in these forums and my own trials, I have gathered that,

1. DXF is an old format and problematic at that. (So have left this alone)
2. Obj is compatible with max and Maya. (but Im having no joy at all with importing)
3. 3DS needs all polys converting with more than 3 vertices.(am using Triple).

Ive now sussed the issues regarding 3DS thanks to Ark_of_Kaos !! Never used Stats B4. However, Im now restricted to the file size, a meassly 60 something k. (booo!).

OBJ sounds promising but when I export as OBJ from lightwave, it seems to produce a txt file containing the model data and both Maya and Max dont wanna know!

If OBJ is not an option, what third part app/ plugin does anyone suggest to convert LW to different formats. MAC only Im affraid $$

Cresshead, - where you get your Max Import filter from ? This could be my savour, Mac or PC!

Thanks people for the sound advise, Im new to this forum and its proving really useful.

Ark_of_Kaos
06-13-2006, 07:49 AM
If using a pc was an option, then Accutrans3D is the way to go. It's only $20 a very professional app and is created by MicroMouse, who lives in these forums. You can download and trial the full version for 30 days. I've been experimenting with it converting stuff from cadd with some success.

Here is another option...built specifically for importing 3d file formats, like *.lwo directly into max and is a max plugin, but it is a tad pricey...$395 or something. Here is a link: http://www.okino.com/conv/conv.htm?0

Rayek
06-13-2006, 09:29 AM
Okay, I missed the Macintosh requirement. Another (free) solution:

1) Save as a lightwave file. (Duh!)
2) Install and start Blender (www.blender3d.org)
3) import lwo file (materials are still there)
4) select all meshes you'd like to export
5) export to 3ds (boohoo, materials are gone)

Materials are gone, but the mesh is intact and you can use that 3ds file. Import into Swift. Done.

Easy!

Cheers,

R.

Scott_Blinn
06-13-2006, 09:42 AM
Another option is to download the FBX plugins (free) for each of the apps you want to use and then just save/load the objects as .fbx files. It usually works very well.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?id=6837478&siteID=123112

Scott_Blinn
06-13-2006, 09:55 AM
Another option is to download the FBX plugins (free) for each of the apps you want to use and then just save/load the objects as .fbx files. It usually works very well.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?id=6837478&siteID=123112

Hmmmm, it looks like they got rid of the LW plugins (I couldn't find them anyway). I uploaded a zip file of all the LW fbx plugins I had on my server (both pc and mac). You can download them here: http://www.skarz.com/lw_fbx.zip (4.8mb)

You could also try and track down a COLLADA plugin for LW that someone made. Max has an official COLLADA plugin.

P.S.- Hey :newtek: , officially support COLLADA already like all the other apps so your customers can do this kind of thing easily! :-)

Rayek
06-13-2006, 12:26 PM
As far as I know, swift 3d does not import fbx files. So that's a no-no?

MicroMouse
06-13-2006, 02:27 PM
Okay, I missed the Macintosh requirement. Another (free) solution:

1) Save as a lightwave file. (Duh!)
2) Install and start Blender (www.blender3d.org)
3) import lwo file (materials are still there)
4) select all meshes you'd like to export
5) export to 3ds (boohoo, materials are gone)

Materials are gone, but the mesh is intact and you can use that 3ds file. Import into Swift. Done.

Easy!

Cheers,

R.

I haven't used Blender in long time and never exported 3DS files.

If by no materials, you mean that textures do not show up the problem is the texture file names.

3DS files are an old DOS file. Back then file names had an 8.3 limit. This means that the file name has a maximum of 8 characters and the file extension has a maximum of 3 characters.

Max will not load the texture files if the 8.3 limit is exceeded. Try shorter names for your texture files.

The way the file name is stored in the file, file names that exceed the 8.3 limit can actually be stored to the file and the file will be a valid file. Some programs save file names that exceed the 8.3 limit so AccuTrans was made to do the same.

Wayne

Scott_Blinn
06-14-2006, 03:32 PM
As far as I know, swift 3d does not import fbx files. So that's a no-no?

I based my answer on his original question: "I was wondering whether anyone could help me out by converting my LWO file into a MAX file." :-)

For that I always found FBX to be the best bet.

I don't believe there is a Swift 3D fbx plugin.