PDA

View Full Version : Tablets

rko
05-24-2003, 03:02 AM
I'm learning LightWave and setting up my configuration.
I have already a dual screen setup (17" CRT and 17" TFT) and using a GeForce4 TI4400.
Sometimes i have a triple screen setup if i also display the FireWire output on a TV screen while video editing.
My input is still the keyboard and mouse.
I'm looking if a tablet is useful.
And if useful, witch one is the best to use with LightWave and PhotoShop/CorelPainter.
How big must it be, there are low priced small tablets but are these useful?

If I look for them on the web it looks like the only real good ones are Wacom Intuos but these are expensive.

Any advice?

Rob Koenis

Flat
05-24-2003, 03:30 AM
If like me you're not the drawing type you may be happy with the smaller tablets out there. I have a PenPartner, which is the cheapest wacom, but still find it invaluable for Photoshop. As I don't use it for anything else it fills my needs quite well.

Then I also have a friend who says his Intuos is much better all around. :)

Tablets in LW aren't very useful imho, except maybe for Vertex Paint.

Phil

ingo
05-24-2003, 05:00 AM
Hi Rob, i use an A5 Wacom for years now instead of a mouse. The A5 or 6x9 is the size of a mouse pad and works fine for Photoshop work as for the normal mouse use, and your wrist will thank you for that. It has a function key menubar on top of the pad for easy access to different functions and it has a key for two functions on the pen.

HTH

ingo

rko
05-24-2003, 05:46 AM
>> Flat: If like me you're not the drawing type you may be happy with the smaller tablets out there
I'm not the drawing type at this moment.
But vertex paint and creating nice surfaces using photoshop are the first useful items.

>> Ingo: instead of a mouse
Do you all things in LW also with the pen? Is this easyer or the same as with a mouse?

>>Ingo: and your wrist will thank you for that

Thats also a reasen why i'm looking at a tablet. I hava a litle RSI problem (right hand). The PC where the tablet is for i stil use a right hand mouse (the model does not permit me to use it with my left hand).
On the PC i use for programming (main job) i already have 2 mouses. And use the left one the most.

Rob Koenis

Mylenium
05-24-2003, 06:15 AM
Personally I prefer working with a mouse in 3D. Especially when placing objects in Layout and/ or modelling I'm always experiencing some strange results (perhaps the ultra fine resolution of the tablet is too good for LW ;) ). BTW, I'm using a Intuos A4 oversize.

lone
05-24-2003, 08:50 AM
i have been curious about this , too. would they work for fine adjustments to points? many times, a mouse is just to clumsy, and i tire of constantly zooming way in and way back out.

Mas
05-24-2003, 09:21 PM
I had really bad RSI in my mouse hand. I brought a Wacom Intuos 9x12 and it fixed the problem in my hand in about 2 weeks (this combined with some simple 20 sec exersises). The 9x12 (A4) Intuos is to large for my 21 inch screen so I just section off an active area (about 6x9). I freelance and when I am in a daul monitor set up I use a slightly larger area but still not the full 9x12. Tablets take a week or two to get used to but I find them fantastic. I would buy Wacom and go for the Intuos 2 range. They are expensive but when you look at how many hours you spend in front of the computer you may as well get a good one. I have tryed some of the cheaper brands with batteries in the pens and found them to be rubbish...i.e. not very accurate, heavy unbalanced pens and no proper application support with brushes etc etc. I also recommend setting up your tablet through the wacom driver application as the default settings for me were wrong. I am really new to LW but have found no problems with tablets and LW (just make sure you select tablet in the General options tab).