PDA

View Full Version : Converting CAD drawings to 3d Lightwave object

sketchgal
04-18-2006, 05:14 AM
Hi

I've been given the task of creating a 3d illustration of a building.
I only have the CAD plan view illustrations of the building.
Is it possible to convert the CAD drawings into a 3d lightwave object in lightwave or is it better to do this in CAD and then transfer the object into Lightwave?

Any help would be much ap[preciated.

Thannks

kruemel_1
04-18-2006, 05:42 AM
If you create your building in a CAD program and export it to some format LW can read you have most time problems with the triangulation.
Better import the 2D Plan as DXF.
By extruding it you get the walls, cut the windows and doors with knife and bridge.

PeteF
04-18-2006, 09:05 AM
Very tedious if it's already been modeled for you -especially on a short deadline and your just want to render dumb solids. What application are you using?

I create/receive engineered parts in Solid Edge (can't beat it for radius and edge treaments). I use Rhino for converting and exporting to LW. Yes, it will be triangulated and heavy in poly count. A quick run with Polygon cruncher does the trick though.

(When I upgrade to v9 and get LWcad, maybe I'll be able to model soley in LW).

KSTAR
04-18-2006, 12:16 PM
yeah if you upgrade to LW9 you get LW CAD1.5 there is a LW CAD tutorial online for doing what your describing. LW CAD is an awesome plugin :thumbsup:

Here is the link http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/tutorials/3rdparty/lwcad/index.php

moc
04-18-2006, 01:07 PM
hey..
If the file was a 2d cad drawing...
1.You better export the file as a dxf first...
2.then open them with adobe illustrator(yip..it can done)......and then do a pre-cleaning.......delete those lines you don't want.....(this way great save your time...)
3.then save as a ai/eps to LW modeler......
4.you can use the imported materials as a backdrop or object to fine tune and further modelling....

Exception
04-18-2006, 03:10 PM
I swap autocad drawings back and forth to lightwave on a daily basis.
I've tried hundreds of different ways. The best way, as in, fastest, with least amount of effort that retains all of the information except for unit size is to just export in autocad to EPS, open in adobe illustrator, there use the live paint tool if necessary to fill up the walls and floors (they will become polygons in Lightwave), then save as Illustrator 3 .ai format, open using EPSF import in LW, voila, perfect import, your live paint just became polygons that you can immediately extrude, and you have all your lines intact.

MicroMouse
04-18-2006, 03:29 PM
Hi

I've been given the task of creating a 3d illustration of a building.
I only have the CAD plan view illustrations of the building.
Is it possible to convert the CAD drawings into a 3d lightwave object in lightwave or is it better to do this in CAD and then transfer the object into Lightwave?

Any help would be much ap[preciated.

Thannks

If you know how to use the CAD program and are on a PC, then build the 3D model in the CAD program.

The house shown in the thread called "A House" at
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49522

was made using 3D drawing entities in AutoCAD and saved as a DXF file.

The DXF file was read by AccuTrans 3D available at http://www.micromouse.ca/

[Note: AccuTrans does not read SOLID entities from a DXF file]

CAD programs handle polygons as double sided objects instead of one sided objects. AccuTrans has a module where you can quickly flip the surface normals so you do not have to do it in LightWave.

The house model was built using millimeters. The LWO file uses meters as the default unit of measurement. When the model was saved to the LWO file the output scale factor was set to 0.001 so that the house would be the correct size in meters.

When you build in AutoCAD the house could be located anywhere in 3D space. For use in LightWave, the house should be close to the origin and this position of the house can be adjusted in AccuTrans.

Texturing and landscaping for the house was done in LightWave.

Liquid Light 3D Graphics Inc. at www.liquidlight3d.com has been using AccuTrans for over a decade to convert AutoCAD DXF files to 3D meshes.

If you have questions, you can email me directly at [email protected]

Wayne

zapper1998
04-19-2006, 05:24 AM
so what would a person charge for some Architecture and Visualization ????

sketchgal
04-20-2006, 03:08 AM
Thanks for all the help with this I'll try some of the suggestions and let you know. Might be back asking for help soon though!!!