PDA

View Full Version : New Video Toots: Char Anim with IK Boost

omeone
04-18-2006, 12:46 AM
1. Basics IK Boost Controls and Character Manipulation (http://puffandlarkin.com/lightwave/tutorials/ik_boost/f/Character_Manipulation_in_LightWave_3D.rar)

2. A quick look at beginning a walk cycle (http://puffandlarkin.com/lightwave/tutorials/ik_boost/f/Character%20Animation%20in%20LightWave%203D%20with %20IK%20Boost.rar)
(bit messy, had a hammering hangover :tsktsk: )

Both videos *.rar archives and QuickTime format.

geothefaust
04-18-2006, 12:54 AM
Hey, thanks a bunch mate. :) I am downloading them now.

omeone
04-18-2006, 01:08 AM
cheers gothefaust :)

Attaching the Sample Files to this post...

Would anyone know who created this model used in the videos?
I downloaded it from the old Preset Central.com (I think)

My big thanks to whoever it was! It is also attached to the file here... and I'm not 100% sure if it is OK for me to 're-distribute' here... if you're out there and would like me to remove it - please let me know ASAP!

Dodgy
04-18-2006, 04:50 AM
Very nice tuts :)

I even learned a few things myself! And I use IKB a lot :)

Never knew about the global rotate handles before :)

omeone
04-18-2006, 05:08 AM
Cheers, Dodgy :)

How are you using it yourself? Ive only been playing with for the last two weeks, so it has been a fairly blinkered journey. Would love to see how other people use it.

Also, can you get the linked values to work? The percentage multiplier doesnt seem to have any effect for me. (I was going to tack on a bit at the end of the video showing a simple gear race... but couldn't control the speeds of the gears.)

Nemoid
04-18-2006, 05:54 AM
Really nice tut. congrats !
Nt should put things like this in their content CD. :agree:
or at least link them on Lw contents page.

omeone
04-18-2006, 07:01 AM
Thanks Nemoid :)

Dodgy
04-18-2006, 08:16 AM
IKBlink is a bit odd. If you don't have limits set on the driver item, then it links to two items directly, and the graph curve makes no difference (driver=0, driven=0 and driver=90, driven=90 for example).

Turn limits for the driver on, and the driven channel then uses it's own graph curve to determine the values it uses. So by setting

t=0 v=10
t=90, v=45

keys, (t being the time, and v being the value of the curve at that time.) then as the driver goes from a value of 0 up to 90, the driven will go from a value of 10 to a value of 45. Of course, you can add more keys to get more complex interactions, but that's basically how it works.

I on the other hand, have never been able to figure out what Options>Set IKTarget boneblah is for. I add it and it adds a little t, but beyond that, it doesn't do anything as far as I can tell..

omeone
04-18-2006, 09:55 AM
I'll try that - it still sounds difficult, but when I have it in front of me I might sus it out.

The target works like the link only it automatically links all the channels from one controller to another and duplicates it's rotations. 'Boneblah' is always the previously selected controller (you might notice there is always a tiny yellow tick through the centre of the previously selected controller)

So... it's nothing to do with an IK target, as we'd normally think of them.

Weetos
04-18-2006, 10:02 AM
Great tut omeone ! Thanks for sharing it !

you won't believe how much I learnt from it !!! (IKB was so unfriendly with me that I always ended up using the old IK tools)

Thanks again ! :thumbsup:

HowardM
04-18-2006, 10:49 AM
any tuts on IKB and Dynamics? :D

omeone
04-18-2006, 12:28 PM
HowardM, I've never used LW's dynamics in any form... never mind with IKB :(

Weetos, Great! :D , as I said above - I'm only learning myself - so anything you can share if you start using IKB again would be greatly appeciated :)

cresshead
04-18-2006, 02:22 PM
nice one!

these vids should be packed in the box with lightwave!

omeone
04-18-2006, 05:14 PM
cheers cresshead :)

another rig to play with here (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showpost.php?p=371283&postcount=14)

thekho
04-18-2006, 05:41 PM
Great and interesting tutorials with some texts which i needs it cos i'm deaf.

Anyway, thanks for sharing it. :)

Would anyone know who created this model used in the videos?
I downloaded it from the old Preset Central.com (I think)

Yeah i know who created this model was Redo aka Radek Nowakowski. He was member here but he haven't reply it for longtime ages.

You can also find his work here:- http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13281

omeone
04-19-2006, 01:01 AM
Oh, thanks a million theko, I'll try contacting him (wow, he knows how to model!)

Are you completely deaf? I used to make tutorials text based with videos to help explain things better... but most people just skipped the text and went straight to the movie. Then they wouldnt grasp it properly and I'd have to answer loads of questions over and over (the answers were right there in the text). So... I've changed the focus the other way round now... but obviously it excludes deaf people, which is a bugger. Having spent a LOT of time studying web accessibility, I do have some understanding of different needs.

So... anyone know if there's an easy way to put captions (subtitles) in QuickTime movies? anyway, I have enough trouble getting my speech understood by friends and family sometimes with perfect hearing, so I hate to imagine someone with only basic school book English trying to follow me!

edit: Ive found that captioneing seems easy ejnough to do... though it might take me some time...

Dodgy
04-19-2006, 03:25 AM
I've tried linking two bones with Targeting, but rotating one or the other has no effect on the other bone. It used to work I think, I seem to remember trying it when IKB was first introduced, but now it doesn't do anything...

omeone
04-19-2006, 03:47 AM
yep, confirmed, Ive got different version on different machines, this one is 8.3 and it doesnt work here :(

Nemoid
04-19-2006, 04:44 AM
Oh, thanks a million theko, I'll try contacting him (wow, he knows how to model!)

Are you completely deaf? I used to make tutorials text based with videos to help explain things better... but most people just skipped the text and went straight to the movie. Then they wouldnt grasp it properly and I'd have to answer loads of questions over and over (the answers were right there in the text). So... I've changed the focus the other way round now... but obviously it excludes deaf people, which is a bugger. Having spent a LOT of time studying web accessibility, I do have some understanding of different needs.

So... anyone know if there's an easy way to put captions (subtitles) in QuickTime movies? anyway, I have enough trouble getting my speech understood by friends and family sometimes with perfect hearing, so I hate to imagine someone with only basic school book English trying to follow me!

edit: Ive found that captioneing seems easy ejnough to do... though it might take me some time...

you can ad subtitles in QT PRO with a simple text file

Gianmarco
04-19-2006, 05:08 AM
thanks a lot ,great tut ,very useful.

Gianmarco

omeone
04-19-2006, 05:08 AM
Nemoid,

yeah, that's what I hope to use, with something called MAGpie apparantly...

now all I need is some volunteers for language translations, soI can do multiple tracks ;) :D

Gianmarco, happy to oblige :)

Weetos
04-19-2006, 05:13 AM
now all I need is some volunteers for language translations, soI can do multiple tracks ;) :D

If you ever want a french translation, just let me know :D

colkai
04-19-2006, 05:15 AM
I'll add to the whole deafness thing. ;)
I'm totally deaf in my left ear so I struggle with sound at times, so I'd be happy for subtitles. It's also handy for not annoying the wife with the speakers. :p

omeone
04-19-2006, 05:16 AM
If you ever want a french translation, just let me know :D

I'll hold you to that, thanks :)

I have a couple more videos to do yet, setting / tuning a new rig and applying the rig to other characters. I know these ones are very simple, but would do them for people new to LightWave itself.

ANS
04-20-2006, 03:19 AM
Hi!
big thanks for great tutorials.
I'm also deaf like Tekho, and waiting for videos with text ;)

omeone
04-24-2006, 12:59 AM
Re-uploaded last night with English subtitles (which is a bit of an iceberg job!)

If you have partial hearing, best to turn off the sound track because the subtitles and sound are not always synched.

To Turn on subtitles, Choose Edit > Enable Tracks... in QuickTime.

If anyone is willing to help out with subtitle translations to other languages, and big thanks already to weetos for already offering to do the French, I'd really appreciate it. When I get the rest of these tutorials finished, I'll do the rounds posting them on other forums and news sites - so others will appreciate your hard work too :)

The text of the videos are attached to this post in M$ Excel format. Each Row corresponds to 2 second of Quicktime video, in case it looks weird.

ANS
04-24-2006, 02:30 AM
Hi!
Big thanks for your effort omeone ;) For future- maybe better and simplest way to make videotutorial with subtitles is using divx / xvid codecs for video, and .txt (with timecodes) for subtitles.
Many video players can play this combination- if .txt has same name as video file, player loads txt automatically.
Is also possible to use specific text editors with video function to write subtitles, and easy synchronisation- and these tools are free..

Cheers!

Weetos
04-24-2006, 02:46 AM
Thanks omeone, I've downloaded the file and I'll post the French translated version asap

Regards,

Weetos

omeone
04-24-2006, 03:32 AM
Hi!
Big thanks for your effort omeone ;) For future- maybe better and simplest way to make videotutorial with subtitles is using divx / xvid codecs for video, and .txt (with timecodes) for subtitles.
Many video players can play this combination- if .txt has same name as video file, player loads txt automatically.
Is also possible to use specific text editors with video function to write subtitles, and easy synchronisation- and these tools are free..

Cheers!
thanks for the heads up ANS, I might look into it, though I think for now that Quicktime is the most accessible and efficient format to deliver in. As of the synchronisation, the subtitles are lacking because I edited out some of the rambling nonsense that was in the sound track and replace it with some hopefully more succint text :).

looking forward to it weetos :) dont rush yourself... theres a lot of text in there, and I won't be doing any more re-authoring / uploading until next weekend.

Gui Lo
04-24-2006, 10:02 PM
Hi Omeone,
I am using a Mac and unable to open the vids. It reads them as .rar.txt .
Any suggestions?

Thanks
Gui Lo

Triple G
04-24-2006, 10:30 PM
I don't have access to my Mac, but I believe you should be able to just delete the .txt extension and then open it in something like UnRAR X (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/15272).

omeone
04-25-2006, 12:22 AM
Hi Gui Lo,

the download is a compressed *.rar archive (same idea a stuffit file)
you would need an application called WinRAR (and yes, it is available for the Mac :) and you can get it as a free download)

http://www.rarlabs.com/download.htm

edit... ah! Triple G beat me to it :)

Gui Lo
04-25-2006, 04:58 AM
Thanks TripleG and Omeone.
I'll try them.

Gui Lo

thekho
04-25-2006, 12:46 PM
Hi Omeone

Cool, how can you merge these subtitling and video together do I have to use video edit program? Or is there any easier way?

I do appreciate that. Although it seem an iceberg job like what you suggested. I have few ideas that might save up your time, minimise subtitling to few words, Iíll be happy with that. If you still insist to use full subtitling you can if you like. Iíll be looking forward to your tutorials

Yeah, Iím profoundly deaf if you wonder.

Thanks man

Keddy

Cobalt
04-25-2006, 01:08 PM
Thanks very much for taking the time to make these videos for the benifit of the Lightwave community. I have yet to use IK Booster and am still learning about character rigging & animation. I didn't even know that you could "lock" bones in Lightwave! Let me know if you ever have a model request and I will be glad to provide.

omeone
04-25-2006, 03:10 PM
thekho
the subtitles are already included in the movie file, though if you downloaded before Sunday night, you would have to re-download now. You do need to turn the subtitles on, by going Edit > Enable Tracks on the menu bar, and choosing from there.

As for the subtitles themselves, I've pretty well got a good handle on them now I think, the first video took me a day, but the second only about 3hrs... Im sure I'll speed up a bit more with further ones :) It's a good thing to learn for me regardless :)

@cobalt wow, I really appreciate the offer, dont need any modelling for myself right now, but maybe as my short gets progressed over the next few months... anyway, rigging and animation with IKB is fun and easy, for the most part, there will be more videos describing this stuff soon too.

Luv2Anim8
04-25-2006, 03:41 PM
great tuts omeone ... thanks for the effort!

Weetos
04-25-2006, 04:09 PM
I've got 80% of the French translation done and I may finish it tomorrow, so it's gonna be ready for your next upload - you were right omeone, there's a lot of text in there !

Thanks again for your work, and for your generosity towards our deaf friends

UnCommonGrafx
04-25-2006, 04:47 PM
My wife screamed:
Please don't 'Sesame Street' the language! Don't dumb it down!

She's deaf and this thread caught her attention. ;) Please keep it as close to what you are saying so that she doesn't miss out on potential running jokes, for example.

Beyond that, Omeone, well done on your part!

omeone
04-26-2006, 12:15 AM
cheers Weetos, real proof that talk is cheap, eh? :)

UnCommonGrafx, that is exactly what I tried not to do. My wife and I are of different backgrounds, so we watch a lot of things with subtitles... and spend more time screaming at them for what they have left out. I appreciate the difficulty now though! 'Sesame streeting' is a good way to put it, and I tried not to, but did try to cut out some of the uhhhs and oohhhhs and ummms and sssoooos etc etc. And she can rest assured, they are distinctly void of humor :)

Apart from the Ice Cream Truck, my son using the bathroom, and my daughter's awful singing in the background :D

toby
04-26-2006, 12:32 AM
Thank you so much for this!

I have no idea how use IKB. I really needed this :)

I don't suppose you can use it on an existing rig...?

omeone
04-26-2006, 12:46 AM
I don't suppose you can use it on an existing rig...?
I don't, but SplineGod does. I'm not quite sure how he goes about that, I would expect he shows how on his new CD, Rigging a Quadruped.

Gui Lo
04-26-2006, 12:54 AM
Thanks, I got the vids and they are so helpful. A totally different thinking.
I have used IKbooster as a quick rigger and animation and you very calmly answer the major problems I have faced.

The problem I have is that 13 minutes into the second vid it freezes.
Need to download again.

Thanks again and well done.

Gui Lo

omeone
04-26-2006, 01:22 AM
Gui Lo, I might switch them add them to something like Google Videos... I've had 7000 downloads in 7 days, if that continues and the I add more videos, bandwidth will get tight.

Does anyone know which of those video hosting things are easiest / best?

Weetos
05-05-2006, 09:31 AM
Sorry omeone I didn't get to complete the 2nd file, I'll finish it asap

here's the first file :)

Dodgy
05-05-2006, 11:05 AM
You can just overlay IKB over your normal rig, which is the nice thing. It remains inactive till you use the IKB tool to control your rig. The main thing is you have to lock off all bone channels which you don't want rotating (or give them limits to set how far they should, but you can just leave bones free, which is what I do most of the time if they're going to be animated). After that, switch between IKB, rotate or move tools as you wish... Simple..

omeone
05-05-2006, 11:28 AM
no probs weetos, thank a million for this so far :)
my German translation is much much slower!

motty123
09-02-2006, 08:12 AM
Thanks for these they are great and have saved me countless hours doing it the wrong way around. By the way my wife has found your voice very soporific;)

hanky
07-18-2007, 03:38 PM
1. Basics IK Boost Controls and Character Manipulation (http://puffandlarkin.com/lightwave/tutorials/ik_boost/f/Character_Manipulation_in_LightWave_3D.rar)

2. A quick look at beginning a walk cycle (http://puffandlarkin.com/lightwave/tutorials/ik_boost/f/Character%20Animation%20in%20LightWave%203D%20with %20IK%20Boost.rar)
(bit messy, had a hammering hangover :tsktsk: )

Both videos *.rar archives and QuickTime format.

Your videos were a great help

I've been trying to use Lightwave IK Boost to create some poses, then animate between them. Results have been good and bad.

When I rotate the IKB head handle with IK stop on the abdomen the in-between the poses is good

When I rotate the IKB head handle with IK stop on the hip the in-between poses is bad. It is bad because the abdomen goes all over the place

the bone structure and Poser model was imported to LW via greenbriar cr2 loaded and rigger and works OK with with normal IK. Rig works OK when FBX to and fro Motionbuilder.

Any help or comments appreciated

omeone
07-18-2007, 03:51 PM
Sounds like the hip Bone is pointing in a direction opposite to the spine Bones.

To be honest I dont even use the the Handle option for rotations like that anymore. I try to keep the Rig as clear from added GUI elements as possible... I usually just click and drag directly on the nodes to rough out the Pose, but since the spine is so important to the pose - I almost always have to fine-tune one or two of the spine bone's rotations by dragging on the numeric readouts.

IKB biggest weakness is spines, a better option is to use LW's native FK with the RGB three-ringed handles, but the problem with that is you will get your undos written to two seperate 'stacks' (which is why I do it as described above)

ben martin
07-19-2007, 07:12 PM
Hi Colin,

Excellent VTMs! :thumbsup:
It is like you said; a completely new and different paradigm! :hey:

By the way is the Character mesh using weight maps or is purely bone influence?

omeone
07-20-2007, 03:54 AM
hmmmm... you had a real good look - didn't you ;)

I very rarely use weight maps for deformations.

btw, those videos and these posts are very old - there's newer material that is more relevant

ben martin
07-20-2007, 07:27 AM
hmmmm... you had a real good look - didn't you ;)
Yup, guilty on that one!

Despite the "age", the VTMs are very elucidative!
It's a good start point to give a close and accurate idea regarding the work involved using IKB. :compbeati

I though appreciate very much people like you that do all efforts to get the maximum they can from a software package! :yoda:

Well done!