PDA

View Full Version : SpeedEdit features revealed

KSTAR
04-17-2006, 02:20 PM
For all of you VT users check out the new Lightwave News letter. It has a more detailed list of SpeedEdits features, and a ship date :D

Jim Capillo
04-17-2006, 02:50 PM
HERE'S THE LINK (http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/newsletters/v3-n4/index.html#se)

Ed Wallick
04-17-2006, 03:14 PM
Am I the only one who reads that and wonders if this is a stand alone editor? Surely not. Surely it has to be used in conjunction with the VT[4] or VT[5]??? Hey, Laptop editor maybe????

Ed

Brian Peterson
04-17-2006, 03:41 PM
Am I the only one who reads that and wonders if this is a stand alone editor? Surely not. Surely it has to be used in conjunction with the VT[4] or VT[5]??? Hey, Laptop editor maybe????

Ed

Why? It sounds like TED unbundeled.

So does it mean we can finally use quicktime on the timeline? If yes... YAHHHOOOOOOOO :bowdown:

It looks like they may have killed off Bob's 3 wheeler. :eek:

But I'm jonesing for this sucker!

Next we'll have the Speed Edit Bundle: Speededit, Aura and Lightwave.

Interesting it is now the Newtek 3D Arsenal...

And what is the big secret Sunday preview that won't be on the showroom floor? Could it possibly be an India Pro/Live Type clone? Oh please, please!

Zane Condren
04-17-2006, 03:49 PM
remember if your not at the party on Sunday. You won't know what the secret is.:D

Brian Peterson
04-17-2006, 03:53 PM
remember if your not at the party on Sunday. You won't know what the secret is.:D
:cursin::cursin::cursin::cursin::cursin:
Don't remind me! I can't go, never have been able to go... SO... :gotpics: :gotpics:

Added:

From Dr. Cross on the VTNT:
Wait to see how much faster the RT engine is now ;)

Yes, we support MPEG4 encoding, including writing to .MP4 files.

ScorpioProd
04-17-2006, 05:16 PM
It looks like they may have killed off Bob's 3 wheeler. :eek:

I really wouldn't assume that at all. Bob's 3Wheeler has more features than Newtek has mentioned in their corrector blurb. I'm spoiled with Bob's 3Wheeler, I can't imagine "normal" three wheel correction being as good if it doesn't have the masking abilities of Bob's.

And what is the big secret Sunday preview that won't be on the showroom floor? Could it possibly be an India Pro/Live Type clone? Oh please, please!

Bob already created that a while ago, it's called Oasis and it works GREAT! :)

Jim Capillo
04-17-2006, 05:30 PM
.....Bob already created that a while ago, it's called Oasis and it works GREAT! :)

I'll second THAT !!!!! :thumbsup:

KSTAR
04-17-2006, 05:48 PM
Yeah a big shout out for Bob Tasa's plugins I couldn't work without them :thumbsup:

Does Oasis work with Mirage and Aura, or just Mirage?

Brian Peterson
04-17-2006, 06:24 PM
Bob already created that a while ago, it's called Oasis and it works GREAT! :)

The last I looked Oasis only works with Mirage and I have no desire to buy Mirage. Now if Don and Ralph managed to convince Newtek to add the arua engine to the CG as we discussed at WEVA last year, well actually it was mirage's engine then that would rock. But I have no desire to purchase Mirage just for a CG enhancement.

robewil
04-17-2006, 06:27 PM
Assuming the "surprise" has nothing to do with Aura, updating Aura may be the next big thing on Newtek's list. It makes sense to me that they should work out some deal with Bauhaus and incude Mirage as part of the VT suite.

cholo
04-17-2006, 07:31 PM
Bob's Three Wheeler in it's current state is quite a bit more able than Finalcut's three wheel cc. A few glitches here and there remain, but I couldn't live without it despite the bugs.

KSTAR
04-17-2006, 07:33 PM
Mirage does a whole lot more than CG ehancement :)

cholo
04-17-2006, 07:38 PM
I hope speededit is more modular, because I hate having to download 200+ megs every time an update is released.

Brian Peterson
04-17-2006, 08:16 PM
Mirage does a whole lot more than CG ehancement :)

Yah, but it's something I just don't use. In fact since the option to capture jpgs was added to the DDR I haven't open Aura in a long time. A stand alone CG program similar to Live Type would be nice to have.

ScorpioProd
04-17-2006, 11:24 PM
Well, a different CG program than what we have now would be nice, period. But maybe that's just my view.:D

I honestly bought Mirage and hadn't installed it till Oasis came along, and it was worth it for that. Mirage can do a lot more than Aura, which is why Oasis doesn't work with Aura.

But now that I have Mirage installed, I've started using it for a lot of different things. I'm not a Photoshop guy, so it's great for what I need.

Also remember, Aura, IMHO, is a pretty dead program. It hasn't been developed in years.

And another point... I plan on putting SpeedEDIT on a laptop... And I'm gonna need more than "just" an editing program on that laptop... So it is quite convienient that I can easily run Mirage there as well... An edit program can't do everything on its own...

tmon
04-18-2006, 02:20 AM
Mirage is quite a good program. Keep at it and you will discover that it can really help you in your video work. Because it is a paint program that deals with time, it is more powerful than Photoshop in many ways.

Bobt
04-18-2006, 05:13 AM
Mirage is pretty cool.
Oasis makes it easy.
www.toastergarage.com/OasisDemoReel.wmv

Ed Wallick
04-18-2006, 07:18 AM
I already have Mirage on my Laptop and will put SpeedEdit there also. I wonder how easy it will be to hop back and forth from SpeedEdit to VT[4] or VT[5] - transferring a project from one to the other. I'm thinking of the larger dual monitors on my VT[4] vs. the smaller Laptop.

Also, I wonder about the speed of the Laptop harddrive - will it keep up on playback?

All questions will be answered in due time, I suppose but gee, it's great to have something exciting coming down the pike.:)

Ed

Simian
04-18-2006, 10:35 AM
Well, there's alot of unanswered questions that will be answered on Sunday, plus some that I am sure will not be. In terms of display, economy is probably going to be important, unless you have one of those new multi display matrox external display adapters, but then you need access to additional LCD monitors I suppose. I am wondering if Newtek will scale the display to make it playable on a laptop. Considering the range of speeds of laptop drives, from 4200 rpm to raid 0 SATA's, a scalable display would make sense. Newtek, by virtue of their optimization for live situations, I would think, would have an extremely efficient handling of playback vs use of system resources compared to the competition. Wasn't there talk about about the NT25 codec being scalable? Scalable display might allow the slower laptops to keep up while rendering was taking place in the background as editing changes were being made.
Cant wait.
Rich

Bobt
04-18-2006, 12:09 PM
You have to get the right laptop. There are laptop drives tht spin at 5400
like I have and if you raid 0 2 well you just might get playback.
One draw back your batter will hate you. Editing on the Train in HiDef.
I am starting to like the sound of that :)

Bob

Jim Capillo
04-18-2006, 12:17 PM
......Editing on the Train in HiDef.
I am starting to like the sound of that :)

You'll have to sell your house and move further away so the train ride will last longer ! :D :rock:

ScorpioProd
04-18-2006, 12:17 PM
Well, yeah, based on Newtek's experience with TriCaster, which uses NT25 internally, I would think that is what SpeedEDIT would use. I mean, it's not like you're gonna be editing RTV on it on a laptop.

Simian
04-18-2006, 12:43 PM
I have a high performance laptop with a raid 0 SATA array (2 drives, 7200 spin 100 gig ea.). You can almost see the battery meter dropping down. Gives off alot of heat too. Manufacturer's spec says you can cook a 6# duck in 45 minutes, which is good because thats how long the battery lasts. Ready to report for beta testing. Just have to wrap my legs in foil ;)
Rich

edmellnik
04-18-2006, 01:09 PM
What would be nice is being able to upgrade our existing VT4.6 to include any features that SpeedEdit has so we dont have to work with two different programs. One can only hope that the interface is similiar....one of the nicest things about VT is its interface.

billmi
04-18-2006, 01:18 PM
I suspect that Speed Edit is the newest iteration of VTEdit (this would make sense rather than coming up with a whole new editor out of the blue, when they have this great editor already.

If this is true, then I would also expect that the VT[5] upgrade will include Speed Edit dongled to the VT, much the way VT[4] version 4.6 includes VTEdit.

Jim Capillo
04-18-2006, 01:43 PM
If this is true, then I would also expect that the VT[5] upgrade will include Speed Edit dongled to the VT, much the way VT[4] version 4.6 includes VTEdit.

So you're not expecting a standalone version?

robewil
04-18-2006, 02:02 PM
I fear billmi is right in that you won't get the stand-alone SpeedEdit with the VT[5] upgrade. I'm still waiting for Newtek to give us a standalone Lightwave with VT.

Jim Capillo
04-18-2006, 02:08 PM
Well, we'll see what the marketing folks come up with..... :newtek: :dance:

billmi
04-18-2006, 02:47 PM
So you're not expecting a standalone version?

I'm expecting NewTek will sell a stand-alone version of Speed Edit

I am also expecting that it will also be a part of the VT[5] software suite, replacing the VT[4] version of VTEdit.

Just like Aura, VTEdit, and Lightwave, I expect that the version of Speed Edit included with VT[5] will require that the VT board is installed.

I have no inside information on this, it's just what I expect they will do, and follows what is done with Lightwave.

Brian Peterson
04-18-2006, 02:50 PM
I fear billmi is right in that you won't get the stand-alone SpeedEdit with the VT[5] upgrade.

A little birdy told me that ... BAM!

:2guns:

Well the birdy was just killed by a sharp shooter... But I don't believe we have anything to worry about!:D :D Excuse someone is coming...

:2guns:

Jim Capillo
04-18-2006, 02:58 PM
ahhhh.... rumors, rumors :D

ScorpioProd
04-18-2006, 03:10 PM
Well, I don't know about rumors or inside information...

But allow me to post a public posting from a dealer that will help you understand SpeedEDIT a bit better:

NewTek's SpeedEDIT, the world's fastest video editor, brings a more
efficient workflow with resolution-independent editing to any video project,
from web streams up to Hi Definition. SpeedEDIT helps you transition
smoothly into HD production, editing standard def and HD clips on one
timeline. HDV, MPEG-2, AVI, QuickTime and most popular formats are
supported. Enjoy responsive on-screen HD previews with FireWire output back
to camera or deck. Sophisticated 3-wheel color correction, 4-band color
selection, and one-click white balance ensure the best looking output at all
resolutions. NewTek's unique Timeline/Storyboard project views help you edit
video faster than you ever thought possible.

NewTek's SpeedEDIT will ship Summer 2006 for a suggested retail price of
$495US.:thumbsup:

Jim Capillo
04-18-2006, 04:07 PM
According to that, they've just renamed the editor and added a few features (HD, 3 wheel, etc.). I don't even see an unbundled SpeedEDIT mentioned. Where'd that come from, anyhoo ?

robewil
04-18-2006, 04:21 PM
According to that, they've just renamed the editor and added a few features (HD, 3 wheel, etc.). I don't even see an unbundled SpeedEDIT mentioned. Where'd that come from, anyhoo ?SpeedEdit is going to sell for $495.00. I think that's a pretty good indication it is unbundled unless Newtek is drastically lowering the price of the VT suite.

Jim_C
04-18-2006, 04:42 PM
Do you think SpeedEdit will come with any type of CG?
Good, bad or ugly?

Almost 75% of the VT guys I haved talked to were STOKED about Speed-Edit, then after thinking said "Will the CG come with it, cause I really need it also."

Jim Capillo
04-18-2006, 07:56 PM
SpeedEdit is going to sell for $495.00. I think that's a pretty good indication it is unbundled unless Newtek is drastically lowering the price of the VT suite.

Huh? Isn't that what [4] went for ? I know VT & the latest version of LW cost a bit more, but I thought VT & 7.5 was $500 something. ?????

Adam_LightPlay
04-18-2006, 09:12 PM
<<Huh? Isn't that what [4] went for ? I know VT & the latest version of LW cost a bit more, but I thought VT & 7.5 was $500 something. ?????>>

The upgrade was in that range, but that was for people who already had the hardware, (VT Card).

A stand alone Editor for $500, as good as VT Edit with HD and QT support, could grab a big chunk of the market. Especially if NewTek puts a little advertising money into magazines and let's the world know about it. Let's hope they do, or we'll have another in a series of fantastic programs that most of the market doesn't even know about. (i.e. Flyer, VT[2], VT[3], VT[4], Calibar, Aura...)

robewil
04-18-2006, 09:56 PM
Huh? Isn't that what [4] went for ? I know VT & the latest version of LW cost a bit more, but I thought VT & 7.5 was $500 something. ?????As Adam stated, you're talking about VT upgrades, which, by the way, is $595. SpeedEdit is supposed to sell for $495. Nothing was said about it requiring a VT card.

Jim_C brings up a good question, though. Most NLE's come with some form of CG. What will SpeedEdit have?

Bill_Evans
04-18-2006, 10:09 PM
Huh? Isn't that what [4] went for ? I know VT & the latest version of LW cost a bit more, but I thought VT & 7.5 was $500 something. ?????

Since all the press releases are about both Speededit and VT[5], its a pretty safe assumption that SpeedEdit for $495 is an editor that you dont need the VT card for. Thats going to open up the market significantly for Newtek, plus I'm guessing most VT guys will want a copy for there laptop, second computer to put stuff together for church, etc. The fact its adding HD just makes it all that sweeter.
-Bill

Bobt
04-18-2006, 10:12 PM
I hope it opens some doors.

Bob

ScorpioProd
04-18-2006, 11:10 PM
Do you think SpeedEdit will come with any type of CG?
Good, bad or ugly?

Almost 75% of the VT guys I haved talked to were STOKED about Speed-Edit, then after thinking said "Will the CG come with it, cause I really need it also."

Well... For better or worse, I figure it would be like it is now... VT-Edit has a version of the CG with "some" of its functionality built-in...

But yeah, personally, I need the real CG as well...

cholo
04-18-2006, 11:36 PM
I do all my CG in After Effects. It's amazing what you can come up with, given all the tools to move text there. From there just render rtv's with alphas and place them in your timeline. No biggie.

ScorpioProd
04-19-2006, 01:13 AM
Well, if you're doing it on a laptop, RTV+alpha might be a bit demanding of your hard drive...

Jim Capillo
04-19-2006, 03:25 AM
Whatever form [5] and/or SpeedEDIT finally takes, I'm just glad that HD is included..... not that I'll use it right away, but the rez independence has to be part of the suite just to keep up with the competition.

wvp
04-19-2006, 06:50 AM
Based I what I have read & heard, I would expect speededit to sell as a stand alone for $495.
Current VT users will likely be offered an upgrade to VT5 for similar price as before and VT5 would include speededit as its editor (replacing ted, sorry ted).
I would imagine that Newtek will either offer a stand alone speededit in the upgrade or more likely They will offer two upgrades, 1 will be VT5 for say $595 and the other would be VT5 and a stand alone speed edit for say $795 or $895.
I'm gonna be really pi**ed if the surprise on Sunday is some special deal for those that attended the meet. Believe me, if I could attend I would! You guys are gonna have a blast!

ted
04-19-2006, 09:18 PM
Current VT users will likely be offered an upgrade to VT5 for similar price as before and VT5 would include speededit as its editor (replacing ted, sorry ted).

No problem. I am thrilled NewTek went with Speed Edit!
I'm already calling it that. Today we edited a spot for an AVID director/producer and after 1/2 hour he asked what we were cutting on. Of course...I said SPEED EDIT. He was impressed and I'm sure we'll see him again.
I don't think I'll miss TEd much. :D

KSTAR
04-19-2006, 10:14 PM
I am a deckless studio, so I am always taking USB/firewire drives or DVD's to post facilities with Avids, and sometimes FCP. I am always constantly being asked what did you cut with? Im always saying TED, um VTEdit, uh VT5, uh Toaster edit, er VT. To which they usually say whats that? Though when I say the video toaster they usually say oh on the Amiga :bangwall:

It will be nice now when asked, to reply SpeeeeeeedEdit!

One thing that always blows the Avid editors/producers mind is when I tell them we can save the undo stack with our projects :thumbsup:

kleima
04-20-2006, 01:53 AM
I think you all are jumping to some conclusions that Newtek did not intend. You are all assuming a name change and that is not what has been said. Speededit is the "low end" version of VT (unbundled from the hardware). Speededit will apparently not require the VT card, so that it can be used on a laptop, which will benefit many of use who want to edit on the road and then come back and transfer to the office edit station. But, I am guessing that Speededit will not do uncompressed or live switching. So, if you buy only Speededit, you will have to upgrade to the VT[5] in order to gain those capabilities. Thus it is still VT for the top end and Speededit for the low-cost end.

radams
04-20-2006, 04:04 AM
I think you all are jumping to some conclusions that Newtek did not intend. You are all assuming a name change and that is not what has been said. Speededit is the "low end" version of VT (unbundled from the hardware). Speededit will apparently not require the VT card, so that it can be used on a laptop, which will benefit many of use who want to edit on the road and then come back and transfer to the office edit station. But, I am guessing that Speededit will not do uncompressed or live switching. So, if you buy only Speededit, you will have to upgrade to the VT[5] in order to gain those capabilities. Thus it is still VT for the top end and Speededit for the low-cost end.

Well as for LIVE switching I would agree with you...VT will be required...BUT to be able to edit ANYTHING...will be more about what your system spec is as to how much realtime you have with any kind of format be it uncompressed or compressed...You know that the VT card is the i/o for analog...IT doesn't do the processing...that is done thru the computer's CPU at this time...so it is about CPU, Ram, buss speed, and storage...NOT that you have to have the hardware VT to edit uncompressed...If you are able to have a Film scanner send output HD or 2K images....you could then even work with them in Speed Edit...How is that for uncompressed ;)....Speed Edit is going to be frame rate and resolution INDEPENDENT.

It will be up to the computer system and storage systems you have as to how the performance is...NOT if it has a VT or not in it...Thou to work with an SD NTSC or PAL monitor the VT would be nice to have...to see Realtime SD output along with HD output thru your graphic's card.

At least the above is what I'm expecting to see happen with Speed Edit and VT5. Anyone else with their two cents and Wishes ( I mean rumors ;)

Cheers,

chribba
04-20-2006, 04:05 AM
But, I am guessing that Speededit will not do uncompressed or live switching. So, if you buy only Speededit, you will have to upgrade to the VT[5] in order to gain those capabilities. Thus it is still VT for the top end and Speededit for the low-cost end.

I think itīs a bad selection of words that Newtek has wrote if the Speededit only works up to HDV when Newtek talking about Hi-Def.

chribba
04-20-2006, 04:16 AM
I want this codec to work with VT and Speededit..

http://www.mainconcept.com/press/j2k.html

radams
04-20-2006, 04:21 AM
I think itīs a bad selection of words that Newtek has wrote if the Speededit only works up to HDV when Newtek talking about Hi-Def.

Hi Chribba and All,

I think that too much is being made that the i/o for HD is thru firewire...

Did you know that MOST affordable HD has firewire...Sony, Thomson, Panasonic, JVC, Cannon, etc... And that isn't just HDV...but other flavors of HD...but ALL HD is compressed to some extent at this time UNLESS you are running directly from Digital connection from the chips of a HD or 2K camera...OR scanning a film at those resolutions.

Guess what ?....Speed Edit will work with ALL of those and even future flavors...DO you know why ?

It is frame rate and resolution independent...the big issues are more on the spec of your computer/storage systems...and do you have the proper codec to work with anyone of the compressed flavors...but uncompressed should be possible...it will just need the VERY beefy system to keep things Realtime...and then will be limited to the number of layers...

But know for the FIRST time will be able to edit and output to ANY medium, and market...from Film outs to smart devices and phones...how is that for increased market share ;)

Cheers,

radams
04-20-2006, 04:27 AM
I want this codec to work with VT and Speededit..

http://www.mainconcept.com/press/j2k.html

Hi Chribba, That would be nice !!

I know that several of us have commented to NT that Jpeg 2000 should be supported...but even notice the release date of your info...April 19th...I do not expect NT to be able to wrap that into speed edit that quickly...thou in the future..I so see this as something they should do...along with supporting some other codecs and workflows...

It would be nice since many will only need HDV...to create an addon pack for those of us going to work with these other formats such as JPEG2000...

But also understand, chribba, that there will be other options to output JPEG 2000...but it would require additional software and hardware to do it and output it...
(Digital Rapids, for one)...

Well have a great day all ;)

Cheers,

chribba
04-20-2006, 06:50 AM
Hi Chribba, That would be nice !!

I know that several of us have commented to NT that Jpeg 2000 should be supported...but even notice the release date of your info...April 19th...I do not expect NT to be able to wrap that into speed edit that quickly...thou in the future..I so see this as something they should do...along with supporting some other codecs and workflows...

It would be nice since many will only need HDV...to create an addon pack for those of us going to work with these other formats such as JPEG2000...

But also understand, chribba, that there will be other options to output JPEG 2000...but it would require additional software and hardware to do it and output it...
(Digital Rapids, for one)...

Well have a great day all ;)

Cheers,

I am not shure but should this codec from Morgan Mulitimeda show up as a codec to use with VT as they write this:

Accessible from Video For Windows applications/API (VirtualDub, Adobe Premiere, Ulead Media Studio) (DirectX/directshow)

I cant test this myself as i am not at my VT... but it was just an idea.

chribba

wvp
04-20-2006, 07:16 AM
The name change has been implied to me if not explicity stated. Even so, weather NT chooses to call the editor in VT5 speededit or not, many of its users are going to because they (we) like the name better.
I would not expect speededit to do live switching either - it is an editing program only (just like I do not expect "Ted or VTedit" to do live switching). All indications that I have seen, heard and read would indicate the VT5 will use a program called speededit for the editing and that this program will be offered in a stand alone version as well. It is certainly possible that some features of VT5 program may not function or may be disabled in a stand alone version, allthough this will remain to be seen.

cholo
04-20-2006, 10:08 AM
I would also like to be able to work using the cineform codec.

ted
04-20-2006, 10:46 AM
Speed Edit is just that, the editor as the name states. I always throw "NewTek's" name ahead of it since most people respect the company, even if they don't give VT the credit it deserves.
So for me, I'm already working on "Speed Edit". :hey:

Bobt
04-20-2006, 12:05 PM
Ted Email me when you get a chance I do seem to have have your address.

Bob

Simian
04-20-2006, 01:35 PM
It would seem to me that using the Cineform codec would require licensing and money to do so. I've used it with Premiere on a laptop. The quality is good and the wavelett compression it uses does not appear to tax system resources greatly. But I doubt Premiere pays nothing to have the limited package in PP2, and the full version unbundled costs $499. I'm not sure what a company like Cineform would charge per copy to allow Newtek to utilize their codec, but even if it were $25, that would raise the cost or lower the profit to Newtek for the use of an intermediate that may duplicate what something else in Speededit may do.

Rich

cholo
04-20-2006, 01:47 PM
Rich:

Cineform support could always be added as an option and that way the end user pays for the license. I'm interested in this, because the cineform guys have a few interesting things going on, like a new camera that captures in cineform raw and allows you to edit using a very simple debayer algorithm for speed and use a more sophisticated render intensive algorithm for final output.

kleima
04-20-2006, 04:47 PM
Cholo,

VT[4] already works with the cineform codec. I am currently, directly editing HDV footage in VT[4] captured by Cineform's HD Connect. I don't expect that would change in VT[5]!

Simian
04-21-2006, 05:26 AM
Cholo, that is interesting. I haven't had much time to look at Cineform's site or read their white pages. What is cineform raw? Seems neat if you can record data, perform editing changes with low overhead and get great output for a finally. Not sure how this stacks up against what Newtek is proposing for a solution though. Guess I'll do some reading and wait for a few days to hear the roar from Vegas. Thanks for the clarification.

Rich

Jim Capillo
04-21-2006, 06:47 AM
Speed Edit is just that, the editor as the name states......So for me, I'm already working on "Speed Edit". :hey:

Same here - I'm referring to it as Newtek's "Speededit". I don't believe there will be two different names for the standalone editor and the full suite editor. That would be a marketing nightmare.

KSTAR
04-21-2006, 09:55 AM
Same here - I'm referring to it as Newtek's "Speededit". I don't believe there will be two different names for the standalone editor and the full suite editor. That would be a marketing nightmare.

Paul Laura has addressed this issue in another thread, and hints at a FREE stand alone version of SpeedEdit for VT users :thumbsup:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49743

ted
04-21-2006, 10:23 AM
I "think" that was for VT5 users.

robewil
04-21-2006, 10:34 AM
I "think" that was for VT5 users.I assume that too although Paul didn't specifically state that.

KSTAR
04-21-2006, 11:25 AM
Oops I forgot the five. Free is a very good price. It will be interesting to see what the offer is though? Its always nice when a loyal user base gets rewarded :thumbsup:

Original1
04-22-2006, 02:38 AM
I "think" that was for VT5 users.

What Paul says is that it is bundled in with VT[5], but he hints at something for the rest of us. me I upgraded to 4.6 already last week, so hopefully I get a free upgrade to VT[5]:yoda:

eon5
04-24-2006, 06:27 PM
http://www.newtek.com/speededit/images/page_index/screen2.jpg

errrhhh... :stumped:

i cant see dual monitor edition

i cant see dual trim monitors

i cant see ON/OFF (mute) video layers at the left

sorry

KSTAR
04-24-2006, 06:33 PM
Yeah do we get the ability to finally have audio control per timeline layer?

EWallick
04-24-2006, 10:00 PM
I like the looks of the screen shot - Audio waveform looks more like it should
Ed

wvp
04-25-2006, 07:24 AM
Did you notice the lack of grid lines on the (lower) timeline? I know they allways tout how it doesn't matter where you place things, but the lines do help to organize. Perhaps it's an option now?

Jim Capillo
04-25-2006, 07:26 AM
...... Perhaps it's an option now?

I hope so !

Jim_C
04-25-2006, 08:33 AM
I REALLY wish they would have added a corner handle on the Control Tree F8 properties box so you could resize it to open more controls like you can with the file bin and everything else.

It is annoying and time inefficient to have to grab and scroll down to find your appropriate control every time you change clips or parameters.

Randall Chesbro
04-25-2006, 09:29 AM
The one Big thing for me is having the clips with there own filters instead of adding them on the time line. you can see the filter cut out when you do an effect. and effects on overlays that will resize. If the other NLE's can do it then Newtek should be able to do it better. Maybe they will fix that in SeedEdit Pro.

nevmoor
04-25-2006, 09:31 AM
Wonder what effect having that FCP style skin would have at the show.
"And for those of you that are used to using other systems,(Kiki clicks new skin) SpeedEdit is so versatile that you can make it look like one of those SLOWER editors through custom designed user interfaces!!"

joseburgos
04-25-2006, 06:55 PM
Randall,
Not sure what you mean by having a clip with it's own filter then the filter cuts out when you do an effect.
I make sub-projects to do what I think you are saying.
Maybe an example or more detailed explanation?
I have even created whole "mini" projects and then re-loaded them into a new project and have DVE's go between them.

Jose Burgos

Randall Chesbro
04-27-2006, 07:44 AM
when you use a filter on a clip you put it below it. say Im useing the defielding filter . it shows up on the effect also. if i do a fade it will show up on the next clip thats over laying it. and then pops off when the filter is done.
the other thing was having filters conected to the clip instead of on the time line. In FCP you can put a filter on a clip even if it has overlay on. I really dont think you can put an effect on a clip or a sub project if it has overlay on it.
the reason for me that this would be a good thing is if i fly in a clip to a PiP then id like to do an effect on just the overlayed clip so i can do something like a ripple out or a page turn on or off. this is fairly standard for some other NLE.
Now I dont use the other nle's anymore but just wish for a little more in the filter/ effect area.

billmi
04-27-2006, 08:15 AM
Yep, that's what sub-projects are for. Apply the filter to just what is going to be filtered, then turn it into a subproject.

Randall Chesbro
04-27-2006, 07:14 PM
very interesting, I did not know that:stumped:
Ok I'd still like to put an effect on a PIP. If you have an answere for that i'd like to hear it....

joseburgos
04-27-2006, 07:47 PM
You got me there because unless I missed a trick, subproject does not overlay.
So you understand, I agree with adding the feature as well mattes (I really want mattes) but was more trying to give you a present version workaround.

Take care,

wvp
04-28-2006, 07:12 AM
As for a workaround:
Take your PIP shots, add the DVE's, resize the images to the PIP size.
Render :thumbsdow to a new clip, add this clip into the timeline and enable overlay.

Sure would be nice to have DVE's work with overlays.
Sure would be nice to have SUbs work with overlays.

tfrank
04-28-2006, 08:07 AM
See attached price list from NAB.31024

JReble
04-28-2006, 10:48 AM
GREAT!....It looks like they are in fact shipping LW8 with the $595 upgrade, so nobody needs to worry about loosing their existing LW8. Cool :thumbsup:

Now how soon can we order?

Docsimps
04-28-2006, 09:31 PM
Things are looking promising........

Docsimps
04-28-2006, 10:27 PM
Just maybe... if we use a little friendly persuassion we can get Cineform to create a plug-in version for VT5 just as it has done for the Adobe products.

Whata-U-think, say a few thousand emails would be sufficient?

I have a hunch that the potenial financial windfall for Cineform will make them less shy about working with Adobe's competitors.

this is just-a-thought;: :foreheads

Docsimps
04-29-2006, 12:06 AM
Just maybe...

Docsimps
04-29-2006, 12:25 AM
It would seem to me that using the Cineform codec would require licensing and money to do so. I've used it with Premiere on a laptop. The quality is good and the wavelett compression it uses does not appear to tax system resources greatly. But I doubt Premiere pays nothing to have the limited package in PP2, and the full version unbundled costs $499. I'm not sure what a company like Cineform would charge per copy to allow Newtek to utilize their codec, but even if it were $25, that would raise the cost or lower the profit to Newtek for the use of an intermediate that may duplicate what something else in Speededit may do.

Rich
Just maybe... if we use a little friendly persuassion we can get Cineform to create a plug-in version for VT5 just as it has done for the Adobe products.

Whata-U-think, say a few thousand emails would be sufficient?

I have a hunch that the potenial financial windfall for Cineform will make them less shy about working with Adobe's competitors.

this is just-a-thought;

ScorpioProd
04-29-2006, 01:27 AM
Cineform doesn't just work with Adobe, they also work with Vegas.

ted
04-29-2006, 06:53 AM
Careful, if we show too much interest in Cineform Adobe will buy them. :D

Zane Condren
04-29-2006, 11:13 AM
why do you want to work with cineform? We can edit native m2t files faster then any other editor on the planet.

Docsimps
04-29-2006, 12:31 PM
True.. my friend, I know. I was just using their biggest customer as an example. Also, according to one of the sales reps for Cineform, their engineers are working on producing plug-ins for additional video editing software packages. He did not at this time want to share the names of the companies or products.

The [indirect] suggestion to bombard Cineform with emails regarding VT5 is an attempt to put VT5 on their radar with the hopes of equal pairing or ahead of the pack for plugin development.